A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 302,614
Currently Running With Scissors:
851 Guests and 30 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 13
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Squid Swap Gallery!  (Read 21450 times)
Tags for this thread: squid  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

minouette
« Reply #40 on: December 05, 2005 05:01:49 PM »

AstroZombie- I like that tote. Great squid applique.

bbonn- I can't believe you made a quilt for a swap. Amazing! You must be a super-efficient seamstress.
(There is no drawstring on the eight-legged necktie shoulder bag. I wanted the ties to look like octopus legs tied together. I sewed them together an added ribbon and a couple of small sea shells.)

Thanks for the compliments folks.  Smiley I had a lot of fun with this swap. Can't wait to see what I receive. All the stuff posted looks so great. I keep checking this thread obsessively. Thanks again to jan_on_ice. I'm so glad this swap went ahead.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I opened an Etsy shop! Come visit http://minouette.etsy.com

(I have a wist too: http://minouette.wists.com)
bbonnn
I'm holding in my hand a box of small chocolate bunnies.

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 05, 2005 05:29:57 PM »

Thanks! The quilt only took about 12 hours from planning to finish. I cut some major corners (straight-line machine quilting, machine applique, very simple patchwork design) that would absolutely horrify "real" quilt makers. But on this one I was more than willing to sacrifice perfectionism in exchange for actually getting it done ... heh heh. And my sweet boyfriend bought me a kickass sewing machine a couple of years ago that has made sewing projects so much more enjoyable when the machine doesn't lock up every third stitch. Like buttah.

I LOVE all the projects so far. Great work on squiddification!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
crazy_bc_jen
« Reply #42 on: December 05, 2005 06:22:14 PM »

A quilt?!  *jaw drops*  It's beautiful.  Those things are soo much work, too.  It looks unbelievable, bbonn.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
girlwonder
« Reply #43 on: December 05, 2005 06:24:49 PM »

btw-minouette-I am so in love with that fork as squid necklace-can I steal that idea? I want to make one for myself!

I so wish I had joined this swap- Cry
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Gracie Girlwonder

"A vagabond, when rich, is called a tourist." -unknown

"To be somebody, a woman does not have to be more like a man, but has to be more of a woman." Sally E. Shaywitz, neuroscientist
jaami
was born with roses in her eyes

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: December 05, 2005 07:17:33 PM »

i LOVE THAT FORK NECKLACE!! tutorial, tutorial!

rachel, i'm glad you dug everything Smiley looks like little pulpo is the only stylized octopus so far. i'll have to post the sticker pictures soon for you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I've been away from the site going through lots of medical testing. If I have not wrote you or mailed something, please understand that my concerns right now are my health and I will send things asap!

Please DO NOT COPY the toys, drawings or stickers I make. They're copyrighted!
kundi

hooray for people

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: December 06, 2005 06:18:12 AM »

I love everything I got from Astozombie!  I can't even tell you how many times I've listened to the CD.  The tote is wonderful.  The color of the squid is so vibrant!  I can't sew or embroider to save my life, and it is always nice to get what you know you can't do.  I really like the cards too! 

bbonn: That is one rocking quilt!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ax174
« Reply #46 on: December 06, 2005 07:32:36 AM »

I gotta say I'm super-impressed with the quality of swap items.   Shocked  Jaami, your magnets and plush octo are so kawaii!  tofutti, I love the crewel design - so clean and graphic.  minouette's stuff is always fabulous - this swap is no expection.  What creativity - I mean, who would look at a fork and think, "octo"? astrozombie's applique ROCKS.  And  bbonn - holy crap - you made a quilt??  'nuff said!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

minouette
« Reply #47 on: December 06, 2005 01:00:36 PM »

This is one awesome swap.  Grin Encephalopods are so bizarre they just inspire creativity!

Ax174- I can't claim the fork to octopus idea. Or rather, I once bought a pendant from a street vendor in Santiago, Chile that was made from a silver fork. I don't know if he intended it to look like an octopus- his had a lapis lazuli stone in the middle, which does not suggest octopus and I'm afraid my Spanish is basically non-existent- but the curvy tines always reminded me of an octopus, so I knew I had to try this for this swap. In fact I tried to use two forks so it would have 8 legs, but that didn't work well (alignment was an issue) so I decided I could take artistic license and have 4 legs.

Jaami, girlwonder- There are actually some tutorials on Craftster already about fork jewellery (mainly bracelets, one toque). In a nutshell:
-I bought some silver forks at the thrift store and washed and polished them
-if they are pure silver, they bend easily (mistake #1 was to buy silver-plated steel which of course does NOT bend easily... the prototype looks more like a sinister weapon than jewellery)
-others have heated forks to manipulate them, but with pure silver, I found that needle-nose pliers on the tines, with the handle clamped and a little brute force was sufficient. Also heating causes oxidation, which is a pain. After I was finished   Roll Eyes the boyfriend suggested wrapping the pliers in something like felt so that they wouldn't scratch the fork (silver is soft too).
-I folded the handle over to make a loop to support the pendant. It broke with repeated bending. I bought some eye protection, a dust mask and a small cylindrical file at the hardware store (no one wants tiny pieces of metal in eyes or throat) and filed down sharp edges and to give it that brushed metal look. Also used sandpaper.
Important considerations: this is supposed to be wearable.  Smiley It is easier to twist tines up and down than it is to make them go to the side... but I didn't want teamwang to stab herself or to have it catch on her clothes!  Tongue I tried it on repeatedly while it progressed to make sure it was safe. Also, one must be firm but not too forceful, because tines can be broken accidentally. I have taken bronze sculpture, but never worked with silver (unless you count high school chemistry...) so I was pleased to find something that was affordable (cheap source of silver) and doable in my own home.  I'm pretty pleased with how it turned out. I might make myself one too Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I opened an Etsy shop! Come visit http://minouette.etsy.com

(I have a wist too: http://minouette.wists.com)
tantrum
« Reply #48 on: December 06, 2005 01:25:29 PM »

I recieved from norsegoebel last night. I love packages in the mail!
She sent a sweet squid mirror compact, an octopus guy, and a ship-sinking squid clock.
thanks so much!
i was hard to get a good shot of the clock, because of glare

« Last Edit: October 04, 2011 07:43:20 PM by jungrrl - Reason: fixed picture(s) » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"If we resist our passions, it is more through their weakness than from our strength"
norsgoebel

the cutest of the 7 deadly sins

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: December 06, 2005 01:28:54 PM »

Yea! I'm glad it got there safely.  The writing that is on the clock might be hard to read but it is a poem by Tennyson about the Kraken.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Take a peek!
http://www.polytypicarts.etsy.com

2 sips from the cup of human kindness and I'm sh*tfaced...N.P.
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 13 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Lana Del Rey Styles Up a Summer-Perfect Mini Dress on Stage
Tips for Flawless Fourth of July Looks
Slip Your Feet Into These Four Stylish Summer Sandals
How to Wear the Neon Trend for Summer
Blake Lively Suits Up in Crimson Menswear
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...