A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 296,380
Currently Running With Scissors:
560 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Ice Candles  (Read 8537 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

faeriedust112088

Sometimes you feel like a nut, sometimes you don't

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2004 02:57:23 PM »

Wow your's are so professional looking...I'm so envious and I shall have to make some now...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
schquimpy
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2004 07:36:12 PM »

i love making ice candles. i save all the left over wax from leftover candles in a little bag and then melt them down with crayons and parafin. i try to make them as ugly 70's as possible--lots of maroon, avocado green, orange, brown.  i usually layer the scents on top of each other, so as it burns you get one after another. i've put pine on top of honeysuckle on top of apple. it actually all works out. a lot of the water you can pour out when the candle dries, but as it starts to burn down i periodically pour out more. as it burns new holes the ice created pop up, so sometimes it will just start pouring water out the sides. oh i recommend waxed wicks if you can find them. they tend to burn better and more evenly than the non-waxed ones.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

somewhere my vocational guidance counselor is laughing hysterically
dandymagic
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2004 07:42:41 AM »

haha, that reminds me of the ice candle I tried to make when I was 12 or so.  I used a milk carton that was waaay too big, so I had this massive purple block that had serious melting problems.  It looked pretty though, and smelled nice.  It was a funny experience.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Angipants
B-L-O-N-Duh!

Angi-pants

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2004 09:39:48 AM »

You can also do this with snow or sand.  Just dig a small hole in the snow (for those of you lucky enough to get some), and pour in the wax.  Tie the wick to a stick or a pencil, and lay it across the top of the hole with the wick hanging into the wax.  As the wax melts down the hole and cools, continue adding a little more wax until it cools close to the top of the hole.  With the sand, you again dig a hole, and you can line the hole with small seashells that will stick to the wax.  Fill the hole with wax and suspend the wick like you would for the snow.  When you pull out the sand candel, little bits of sand will stick to it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

legogirly
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2004 11:24:37 AM »

Hey.  First of all I think your candles are beautiful.  They look so pretty they inspired me (and I'm lazy) to make some for Christmas presents.  I went to Michaels to look at the cost of supplies and it looks like it's going to be around 40-50$ total.  While that isn't too expensive, I'm still wondering if I can cut the costs of anything?  (I'm a student, can ya tell? lol).  The wax scent and coloring were under $3 for 6 packs, but I was wondering how much you paid for a melting pot and a block of wax?  Are there any alternatives for a melting pot?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Blond_gurl
Must sew to look like Eastern European countess.....

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2004 11:27:40 AM »

why!  aren't those the coolest homemade candles ever! Shocked
THIS ROCKS   Logged

When the lunch bell rings, why don't you eat me?
tentimeszero
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2004 11:38:14 AM »

a coffee can placed inside a saucepan of water makes a cheap melting pot
THIS ROCKS   Logged

then looking upward i strain my eyes & try, to tell the difference between shooting stars & statellites, from the passenger seat as you are driving me home. "do they collide?" i ask & you smile. with my feet on the dash the world doesn't matter.
wootwoot

Strange things are afoot at the Circle K...

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2004 11:51:45 AM »

Ooh, I love those candles.  I made one with my mom when I was in elementary school and we used bigger ice chunks (the ringed ice you buy at the grocery store works great) and didn't pour the wax quite as high as the ice was so that the top was also cratered.  But then I had a friend over who broke off all the cool wax pieces on the top.  She denied it, of course, but I know it was her...and I still remember 15 years later...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

candycanechild
Paper Doll

version 4.1: she's just so clinically cynically.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2004 04:02:04 PM »

Oh.. I think I may have left something out. Yeah, see, my candles were a complete failure. They look pretty bad... that pic isn't of MY candles. I think I was too busy looking at other posts I forgot to say that. Sorry! I don't want to take credit for something that isn't mine! I just posted that pic so people could get a better idea of what the candles are SUPPOSED to look like. heh.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rratstarr

needs a new hobby like a hole in the head.

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2004 09:28:25 AM »

I'm still wondering if I can cut the costs of anything?  (I'm a student, can ya tell? lol).  The wax scent and coloring were under $3 for 6 packs, but I was wondering how much you paid for a melting pot and a block of wax?  Are there any alternatives for a melting pot?

legogirly:

Ways to cut costs:

If you don't have any candle "stumps" or damaged candles you can melt down instead of buying a block of wax, ask your friends and/or family to save their used-up candles for you.

Skip the scent.

You can use a double-boiler on a stove instead of a melting pot, but make sure you use a thermometer with it, because wax becomes flammable at about 180 degrees Fahrenheit.  (You can sometimes find double boilers at a yard sale, or you can use the coffee can suggestion posted earlier.)

Check the clearance section of your craft store for discounted coloring/scents.

-S
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
J.A. Jance Explains Her Writing Routine
Standing Still in Central Park
Love Anthony By Lisa Genova
The Death Sculptor by Chris Carter
Under the Dome by Stephen King
Latest Blog Articles
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects
How to Make Summer Treats
July is National Blueberry Month

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...