A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 297,729
Currently Running With Scissors:
666 Guests and 28 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: I am a yarn tard. Help!  (Read 2077 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Frew-Frew
Caution: Eye Irritant

View Profile
« on: November 06, 2005 09:00:39 PM »

Alright. I've finished the first scarf in SnB. My hubby begged for it (I shouldn't have given it to him, it turned out beautifully in olive and maroon virgin wool, but I'm a sucker.) I'm working on the second scarf now. (Maybe I'll get to keep this one, but I doubt it.)  I've got the hang of knitting, purling, casting on and binding off. But I keep trying the kitschy kerchief to learn increasing and I know I'm doing something wrong. I'm getting the right number of stitches, but It's supposed to be a garter stitch but what I'm ending up with is an obviously deformed stockingette stitch on one side and a purl on the other. I've checked my other knitting books too, and there is obviously something in this concept that my tiny little brain can't grasp. Can anyone explain this to me as if I were a small and lost child to whom knitting is a second language? Or at least give me a good smack and tell me what I'm doing wrong?

So much for becoming a knitting genius overnight.  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Chuck Norris does not knit. He bangs the table, and the shockwaves force the yarn to create clothing.

http://frousworld.blogspot.com/
Tamantha
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2005 11:29:03 PM »

*Digs out own copy of SnB*

Are you increasing only on the right side (as opposed to the wrong side)? If you're increasing on both sides of the knitting, that could possibly cause the problem. Apart from that, I'm not sure. Any chance you could post a picture of it, so we can see what's going on?

And congrats on the first scarf. Nice colour choices!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Frew-Frew

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2005 05:09:05 AM »

Only increase into the right side of the fabric.....  I guess that is where I get lost. It tells me to stitch into the front AND back of a stitch to increas, but I can't figure out how to do that stitching only onto one side. Like I said, I'm a complete tard. Feel free to laugh and point at my utter silliness. I will try to get a pc tonight Of what is happening when I try doing this. I'm sure it's something simple, and I'm just missing the obvious.  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Chuck Norris does not knit. He bangs the table, and the shockwaves force the yarn to create clothing.

jilybrat
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2005 05:19:00 AM »

i don't have my pattern here, so i may not answer this right at all...but the right side means the side that people will see and the wrong side would be the side that people won't (not left and right).  with garter stitch both sides look the same so you'd just have to pick a side to be the "right" and "wrong".  does this help at all? i'm not sure if i answered your question.

jil
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Frew-Frew

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2005 08:27:55 AM »

I understand the "right" and "wrong" concept. I sew, so that one was easy to pick up. I'm going to give it another go tonight when I get home from work and maybe I'll make a bit more progress. If not I'll post up a pic of my lovely triangular knot  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Zanti MissKnit

Formerly known as AndreaLH

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2005 08:50:51 AM »

It sounds as though it is the increase itself that is throwing you off.  I don't know if this helps, but here goes:

http://knitting.about.com/library/bllearnbar.htm

I bet there is a video demonstrating this somewhere in cyberspace.  It's tricky to do at first.  I had a heck of a time learning it, as well as learning m1 increases (which I somehow turned into yo's. . . you'll see). 

Congrats on making the scarf, and on taking up knitting!  It sounds as though you taught yourself (I did. . . and needed help from time to time.  It's only human.).

Andrea
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Tamantha
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2005 04:23:45 PM »

Yes, I think it's the increase itself that's throwing you. 'Knit into the front and back of the stitch' is the same as the 'bar increase' in the book. Does that help?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

tinfoilvalentine
Lauren!

crafty lady!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2005 04:31:56 PM »

this is what you need!
http://knittinghelp.com/knitting/videos/increase/increase-bar-english.mpg
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Frew-Frew

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2005 05:31:57 PM »

JOYGASM!!!!!!!1 Thank you for the video. I think I get it now. Watch out world, here comes a kerchief!!!!

I was so excited that I went and told my DH that I'm not such a tard anymore. He patted my head and said "Of course not, honey." I know this is a bad sign, but I'm thrilled nonetheless.  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

tinfoilvalentine
Lauren!

crafty lady!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2005 05:36:21 PM »

yay! im glad i could help! if you have anymore questions feel free to message me! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Dog Sock Puppet
How to Create a Hand Puppet With Socks
How to Make Shadow Puppets With Your Hand
How to Create a Giraffe Sock Puppet
How to Create a Puppet Theater
Latest Blog Articles
October 2, 2014 Featured Projects
Spotlight on: Washi Tape
Tute Tuesday: Manicure for Halloween

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...