A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 297,116
Currently Running With Scissors:
436 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Amazingly Huge Simplicity 4668  (Read 1212 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

modpodge
« on: November 06, 2005 03:58:46 PM »

I love this pattern! It was pretty easy- I haven't sewn from a pattern in years, and i had no trouble with this one. The dimensions are pretty huge as well, which i appreciate in a bag (i carry around a lot of stuff).

Does anyone have any suggestions for what to put on the outside? It looks a little plain to me...

The Bag

The Lining (made from a thrift store pillowcase)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
thevaticant

I'm cold. And my legs hurt.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2005 04:01:15 PM »

wow! that looks awesome!
boy do i love big giant purses!
i also find that i grow tired of them when they're too fancied up...
but i think if you sewed a little bit of velcro on the outside, and then you could make a bunch of different decorations with velcro on the back, so you could change them at will... it would always be a new purse!
you know... for winter, maybe a pretty velvet bow... once spring comes round, stick a flower on there... whatever else you fancy.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ask not what your rest home can do for you, but what you can do for your rest home.
serenityinsleep
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2005 04:28:37 PM »

Ahh, very nice. I have no suggestions for any embellishments, but I think it does need a little somethin' to tie it together.

Btw - My grandfather has that very same pillowcase, and hasn't used it in years. I thought about making something out of it, but it's so threadbare and smelly I decided not to.  Undecided

Again, it looks good. I too appreciate huge bags because I love having everything I possibly need with me at all times.  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
arrhythmia
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2005 06:55:17 PM »

SIS-I like big bags for the same reason!

modpodge. I love the shape and the size. The color is excellent, too. I don't know what you should put on it, either. I always struggle at that point. You could use a vintage brooch or make your own. Then you could change it if you want.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

westcoastchica
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2005 02:37:25 PM »

I just made a couple of those same bags. I LOVE LOVE LOVE them (I'd been looking for a bag large enough to carry a binder or a book to work, but nicer than your average garden-variety tote bag - this was perfect). Mine are plain on the outside with a nice lining too... I like them simple so I can use them every day without them clashing with my wardrobe. For decoration, I just stick on a nice brooch. Nice and removable. I was thinking of making some knit or crochet flowers to use as ornaments too...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

modpodge
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2005 08:51:41 AM »

Thanks for the ideas and the compliments! I am loving this purse more and more, I've already made another one, and I'm starting a couple more. I find I'm getting faster and faster at making them. I added a pocket to the lining of my second purse (I wish i could show it, but i'm probably going to send it off for a swap).

I also think that magnetic snap closures would work really well with the pattern. I've had a couple of requests from people at work who want a big in the same style, can someone give me a general rundown on how pattern copyrights work? How much would i need to alter the pattern in order to sell bags I make from it?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Tools of the Trade
Low Light Digital Photography
Simple Supplementary Lighting
Finding and Archiving Digital Images
Photographing Black and White Images
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...