A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 308,115
Currently Running With Scissors:
361 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Amazingly Huge Simplicity 4668  (Read 1365 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

modpodge
« on: November 06, 2005 03:58:46 PM »

I love this pattern! It was pretty easy- I haven't sewn from a pattern in years, and i had no trouble with this one. The dimensions are pretty huge as well, which i appreciate in a bag (i carry around a lot of stuff).

Does anyone have any suggestions for what to put on the outside? It looks a little plain to me...

The Bag

The Lining (made from a thrift store pillowcase)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
thevaticant

I'm cold. And my legs hurt.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2005 04:01:15 PM »

wow! that looks awesome!
boy do i love big giant purses!
i also find that i grow tired of them when they're too fancied up...
but i think if you sewed a little bit of velcro on the outside, and then you could make a bunch of different decorations with velcro on the back, so you could change them at will... it would always be a new purse!
you know... for winter, maybe a pretty velvet bow... once spring comes round, stick a flower on there... whatever else you fancy.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ask not what your rest home can do for you, but what you can do for your rest home.
serenityinsleep
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2005 04:28:37 PM »

Ahh, very nice. I have no suggestions for any embellishments, but I think it does need a little somethin' to tie it together.

Btw - My grandfather has that very same pillowcase, and hasn't used it in years. I thought about making something out of it, but it's so threadbare and smelly I decided not to.  Undecided

Again, it looks good. I too appreciate huge bags because I love having everything I possibly need with me at all times.  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
arrhythmia
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2005 06:55:17 PM »

SIS-I like big bags for the same reason!

modpodge. I love the shape and the size. The color is excellent, too. I don't know what you should put on it, either. I always struggle at that point. You could use a vintage brooch or make your own. Then you could change it if you want.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

westcoastchica
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2005 02:37:25 PM »

I just made a couple of those same bags. I LOVE LOVE LOVE them (I'd been looking for a bag large enough to carry a binder or a book to work, but nicer than your average garden-variety tote bag - this was perfect). Mine are plain on the outside with a nice lining too... I like them simple so I can use them every day without them clashing with my wardrobe. For decoration, I just stick on a nice brooch. Nice and removable. I was thinking of making some knit or crochet flowers to use as ornaments too...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

modpodge
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2005 08:51:41 AM »

Thanks for the ideas and the compliments! I am loving this purse more and more, I've already made another one, and I'm starting a couple more. I find I'm getting faster and faster at making them. I added a pocket to the lining of my second purse (I wish i could show it, but i'm probably going to send it off for a swap).

I also think that magnetic snap closures would work really well with the pattern. I've had a couple of requests from people at work who want a big in the same style, can someone give me a general rundown on how pattern copyrights work? How much would i need to alter the pattern in order to sell bags I make from it?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
February 22, 2017 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Ballet Flats
Practically Perfect Paisley

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...