A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 297,163
Currently Running With Scissors:
505 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: swapping norms  (Read 1153 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

dontlookback
« on: November 06, 2005 08:01:50 AM »

I just participated in my first swap.

I was wondering how much time do you guys spend on crafting your swap items and how much money should be spent on your swap partner?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

...i just want a moment to be real

Etsy Shop
http://dontlookback.etsy.com

Wists:
http://www.wists.com/dontlookback
aschnebly
I'm AliceKathryn on Ravelry :)

Yarnaholic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2005 08:13:52 AM »

I guess I have spent about 15-20 dollars + $5 shipping?  I always have supplies left over to add to my stash though.  For swaps like the unconditional swap, I have mostly crafted from my stash--and the Stash Swap is great because I don't have to go out and buy new things!

Timewise it depends on the swap, and I am kinda slow and have lots of distractions... I have spent anywhere from about 3 hours to 20 Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PinkMafia
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Let your sparkle shine...

Recovering swap addict

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2005 10:29:33 AM »

I spend $0-5 plus shipping. I try and use my stash as much as possible. sometimes I go nuts and buy more than $5 in supplies but I try not to.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

crafty chica...burlesque performer....costume maven.
craftydame

i love glitter and glitter loves me.

hi craftster! i've missed you!!

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2005 10:37:06 AM »

i think the amount of time should depend on the swap, usually that's agreed upon at the very beginning (ie, this swap is for two small things, one medium thing, etc). if you're confused about what is required, ask when you sign up! that way it can be discussed on the thread, and everyone can have a good idea of what they're going to do before they start crafting.

moneywise, i usually spend about $15 on shipping, and anywhere from $2-20 on supplies. sometimes i've spent more, but that's usually for very specific people, like people i've swapped with before. i don't think i've ever spent nothing on supplies, except maybe the instant swap. it all depends though. i'm REALLY trying to spend less!

i think good organizers tend to match up partners who have similiar tastes, and that really helps to cut down on the cost, because it's likely that you have something in your stash that they'd like.

if you live in a town where everything's really expensive, you're gonna spend more, and i guess that's something you think about before you sign up. for instance, i'm in the monster purse swap. luckily, i live in a large enough city that i have decent funfur selection, so the prices aren't too high (though $15metre is the cheapest i'd pay for fun fur, anything below that is usually crap). but there are lots of people who would only be able to buy funfur online, and that tends to be more expensive. they may not want to be in the swap because of that.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

check out my crafty blog!

i like exclamation marks.
penguino
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2005 11:18:39 AM »

I usually spend $10+ on craft + $5 shipping. 

For the unconditional swapper swap and the ongoing wish swap, I spend less $ because I am usually making one wish/item and I pick the items I want to craft.  Right now I am trying to downsize my craft supplies, so I pick out items that I can make with most of the supplies from my stash. 

For other swap, ex. hello kitty swap or random swap, I usually send at least 3-4 items so I spend more money on them.  For these type of swap, I usually have 1 items that take awhile (ex. knitted items, sewing a bag) and several small items that are quick to make or store bought items. 

I was in the first Stash swap.  For that I didn't buy anything, just use everything in my stash. 

Usually the number of items that was expected for the swap is listed on the first posting of the swap.  So everyone would send the similar amount of items.

And thank you for the package Wink for the ongoing swap 2.  I love it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PinkMafia

Let your sparkle shine...

Recovering swap addict

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2005 11:37:36 AM »

Geez, I feel cheap.  Wink I have a large stash though that I buy stuff for regurlarly so I don't have to go shopping for each swap except for something random. I'm also a fabric whore and buy bolts at a time so I try and use that.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

crafty chica...burlesque performer....costume maven.
craftydame

i love glitter and glitter loves me.

hi craftster! i've missed you!!

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2005 12:14:01 PM »

you're not cheap! it's all about the stash, right?

i guess i wasn't entirely accurate, because i was including things that i bought previously too, like interfacings and some fabrics. so my $2-20 includes some stuff that i might not have bought specifically for the swap, but i'll have to replace because i used it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

check out my crafty blog!

i like exclamation marks.
dontlookback
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2005 10:24:36 AM »

Wow. You guys were so helpful. Thanks for the suggestions!

penguino: I'm so relieved you liked everything.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

...i just want a moment to be real

Etsy Shop
http://dontlookback.etsy.com

Wists:
http://www.wists.com/dontlookback
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Knit Homemade Socks with a Loom Part 1/30
How to Knit Homemade Socks with a Loom Part 11/30
How to Knit a Wine Bottle Corset Cover with a Loom Part 6/11
How to Knit a Wine Bottle Corset Cover with a Loom Part 5/11
How to Knit a Wine Bottle Corset Cover with a Loom Part 8/11
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...