A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 299,155
Currently Running With Scissors:
407 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: One-Button Cardigan From Knit1 (Spring 05)  (Read 3025 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

knittnkitten
« on: November 05, 2005 06:42:39 PM »

So I finished that gorgeous-looking one-button cardigan that was on the cover of the Spring/Summer '05 Issue of Knit.1 magazine. I had high hopes as I was knitting... it knit up very smooth with Lion's Brand Homespun. Unfortunately... I think I made it about 2 sizes too big. As you can see in this picture, it makes me look like I'm about 30 pounds heavier than I actually am:

I had to put in this picture for comparison:

I'm kind of bummed. The sleeves are a little more bolero-y than I would like, but overall it just really doesn't fit me well. Tear! It is a nice sweater though... Anyone with slightly broader shoulders than I have want it?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Alyssa615
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2005 07:07:38 PM »

It looks very nice. Instead of giving it away, you could follow the directions at Chicknits on how to downsize a finished garment athttp://chicknits.com/ttdownsizing.shtml. Or you could frog the whole thing and reuse the yarn again!

Alyssa
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ilovemyff
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2005 10:01:36 PM »

Same thing happened to me! I was so disappointed I didn't even put a button on it. I call it my 'bad mommy' sweater because I ignored my kids all week-end and let them eat all the sweets they wanted as long as they left me alone to knit. Served me right I guess.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
DeadDisco
I'm the ne plus ultra, of B+ cultcha'

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2005 01:01:58 AM »

Aw, I think it looks good! Maybe you could take in the side seams and move the button over? You did such a nice job, it would be such a wretch to not be able to wear it. Then again, this could be the piece that launches your successful 10 year eBay selling spree.  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

skrillaknits
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2005 06:14:26 AM »

I think it looks slouchy and nice! Stuff like that usually makes people look smaller, like those J.Crew models who wear giant sweaters and expressions that say "look at me, I am drowning in wool, I am so diminutive!"
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Rast ich, so rost ich." [German Proverb]
tejer
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2005 06:17:06 AM »

I think it looks nice too.

But what about cinching it together in the back with a kid's mitten clip? You know the clips I'm talking about, right? :http://www.kidsurplus.com/nol-20026.html

I've seen this done on other garments and it looks cute. It might look cute on this one too. Worth a try?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

tristitia
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2005 06:28:18 AM »

I think it looks nice, too... And you might need to wear something heavier underneath when it get really cold out, so you might not want it too much smaller...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
knittnkitten
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2005 06:52:58 AM »

Aww, thank you for all the comments! It's quite a conundrum, isn't it? I might tool around with it and see if I can take it in at all... that tutorial from chicknits gave me a couple of ideas, and I've also thought about moving the button over. The big problem though is in the seam at the at the shoulder. It's kind of hard to see in the picture, but the seam goes a quarter way down my arm. Not sure how to fix that!

I've never done Ebay, but that might be a good solution  Wink

Thanks for the ideas everyone, keep em coming!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
thisonegoesupto11
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2005 09:24:10 AM »

yeah, it's hard to fix shoulder seams that sit too low on your arm.  but maybe cinching it in the back would pull it in some.

what size did you make?  i was thinking about making that sweater too, so i'm curious to see if i should go down a size.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

knittnkitten
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2005 11:55:04 AM »

what size did you make?  i was thinking about making that sweater too, so i'm curious to see if i should go down a size.

I made it in medium for the body part, and small for the sleeves (cause I have short arms!). I definitely should have gone with a small for the body as well, although I'm not sure it would have made much of a difference. Oh well!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
What To Wear: Maxi Dresses
Hilary Rhoda Models the Best of Fall 2013
Beyoncé: Behind the Scenes
When Fashion Attacks: Doutzen Kroes
The Shape of the Season for Fall 2012
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing
@Home This Weekend: Embellished Guest Towels
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hostess Gift

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...