A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 297,470
Currently Running With Scissors:
553 Guests and 26 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: crazy blankets!  (Read 2172 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

finecraftnerd

may knit while driving...

View Profile WWW
« on: November 04, 2005 10:34:34 PM »

Hello out there! This is my first post! A friend introduced me to this forum recently, and since then i haven't been able to get enough!  I've been thinking of posting for a while, but I couldn't think of what to show (too many choices). So I thought I'd go with an old favorite!

This was the first knitting project I started! 8 years ago! It's completely crazy: worsted weight yarn, on size 6 needles, in garter stitch! It took me 3 years to finish! But once I started I just couldn't stop!  It was perfect, I finished it on the drive up to school my freshmen year of college, and I've been sleeping under it ever since!

Since I finished that one I've made two other slightly less crazy blankets, both for friends.  I have a picture of one other I can show here:

I made this one on size 11 needles in stockinette stitch and only took me a year and a half (on and off, I've got a lot of projects going).  I chose colors to match a quilt my friend had made and incorporate other colors in her room.  My good friends Stu and Liz think this one is nice and cozy!

Well that's all for now!  This place is awesome! I'm sure I'll have more fun things to share soon!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

raised in the suburbs by eccentrics and nerds...

Etsy Store:
http://ChelseaEBird.etsy.com

My jewelry website:
www.ChelseaEBird.com
lisascenic
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2005 11:09:20 PM »

Holy guacamole!!!!

Your blankets are lovely!

But they must have weighed a ton when you were working on them...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

luv2stitch

Sometimes it's knit and sometimes it's crochet.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2005 07:29:31 AM »

I love your crazy blankets! I have several very similar knitted and crocheted afghan/blankets that I made using leftovers from previous projects. These are the absolute best thing to toss in the back of the Suburban to snuggle in. My kids love how big they are and it's a kind of like a memory blanket because they remember all of the things I made with the yarns. Great job on yours!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
crochet hooker12
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2005 08:07:29 AM »

SHIFGJJKTJFGDFG!!!! You have the patience of a kindergarten teacher x155545000000.

PS- I love the color combo on the second one.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Mowing your lawn is against nature!" Rufus' response to Rev. Sheldon's comment about homosexuality being against nature
tristitia
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2005 12:14:48 PM »

Wow, I wish I had the patience to finish something like that... I can only do a scarf or a hat w/o getting bored before I'm done!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
xoxcitylovexox

Hi my name is Jessica I have a yarn buying problem

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2005 01:40:23 PM »

i love both of those... 3 years.. wow if a blanket took me that long i wouldnt be done until i was 18!!!... hmm it might be a good idea to start now and finish in college.. anyway im rambling but nice job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lyla
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2005 04:00:05 PM »

Those are beautiful!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
fadeawaydream
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2005 04:04:59 PM »

Wow! I wouldn't even know where to begin to tackle a project like that! Though I am very intrigued--how many skeins/balls of yarn did you use in all? And I'm assuming you had to work on it one section at a time? Or...?

Anyhow, they are both gorgeous! I'm still working on scarves myself. :x
THIS ROCKS   Logged

finecraftnerd

may knit while driving...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2005 05:58:58 PM »

Thank you!  They were pretty heavy while I was working on them, but they were great sit in front of the TV on a cold night projects! Just wrap myself up and keep knitting!  They were both made all in one piece on round needles to hold all of those stitches.  For the first one I lost track of how much yarn I used, I started out mostly with scraps, but then had to buy more to continue the colors.  For the second one I used 11 skiens of yarn, but some were the large Red Heart ones.  I did have some leftovers for future projects...Smiley

I'd love to hear about/see pictures of long term or crazy knitting projects that other people have done!
« Last Edit: November 05, 2005 06:03:36 PM by finecraftnerd » THIS ROCKS   Logged

raised in the suburbs by eccentrics and nerds...

Etsy Store:
http://ChelseaEBird.etsy.com

My jewelry website:
www.ChelseaEBird.com
-Keiko-

Fear the small, cute ones... >)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2005 09:58:59 PM »

Looks great!

Wow, I've crochetted blankets before... but never knitted.  Did you finish it in like long strips (and sewed it together)?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Meet Author Carlos Fairs
Anthony McCarten Talks About Show of Hands
Will Bunch Reveals His Biggest Pet Peeve
Simon Montefiore Talks About Sashenka
Susan RoAne Talks About Face to Face
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Sandwich Wrap
Falling Leaves
Meatless Monday: Provencal Inspired Quiche

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...