A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 298,747
Currently Running With Scissors:
519 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: how to get away with tracing patterns..any ideas on iron on paper?  (Read 2564 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

viciouskittie
one crafty bitch

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: November 04, 2005 03:13:08 PM »

ok so im trying to find a way to get away from tracing over patterns that no longer will transfer on their own...whats your best way? ive got a transfer pencil, and ive tried another type of pen, and neither of them work...the ideal thing would to be able to just make a copy of it and have the ink be tranferable...just like with regular patterns...any ideas?? the object of the game is to not make kate trace the pattern..ive found some paper, but have any of you guys tried doing this?
« Last Edit: November 06, 2005 04:20:34 PM by viciouskittie » THIS ROCKS   Logged

hi my names kate, and im a craft addict..

www.wists.com/veganedgekate
laralaralaralara
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2005 05:14:01 PM »

Transferring is totally annoying.  I usually use transfer paper ... they come in packs and are reusable because they each have a colorful waxy coating on one side and you only need to outline the design so it doesn't use much of the coating (the side that goes face down on the project).  I find the picture or draw the picture I want, trace it with tracing paper, and then use the transfer paper to get the image onto the fabric.  It doesn't work well on all fabrics though (a sweatshirt I did was impossible to transfer the design.. I wound up having to use a pen to poke holes through the tracing paper to put dots where my lines were.  That worked too, but it isn't entirely accurate.

I haven't tried those transfer pens because I think I remember reading somewhere else on this site that they are mildy worthless.

Eh?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
katiekat82

Here, kitty, kitty, kitty...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2005 05:46:35 PM »

Hey- Do a search of this board for transfer pens. A lot of people have suggested Sulky's pens, which I personally use and love. This topic has come up quite a few times before because so many people want to use their patterns after they run out. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Dolly Parton is my spiritual leader, and Clint Eastwood is my sewing buddy.
viciouskittie
one crafty bitch

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2005 02:37:11 AM »

yeah ive tried the pens before and whatever brand i bought didnt work well...i think it was sulky..what im looking for is paper where i can just make a copy of the pattern, print it out and iron it..without tracing..
THIS ROCKS   Logged

GhostAcademy
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2005 12:02:50 PM »

yeah ive tried the pens before and whatever brand i bought didnt work well...i think it was sulky..what im looking for is paper where i can just make a copy of the pattern, print it out and iron it..without tracing..

I've wondered about this too, but I haven't been able to find anything like that.  I can't use the transfer pencils or transfer paper.  I don't know why they won't work for me, but they don't show up enough.  I use a disappearing ink marker, which works well (except when it fades before I'm done stitching  Tongue) but you still have to trace with that.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I read your manifestos and strange religious tracts.  You took me to your library and kissed me in the stacks.

http://www.ghostacademy.blogspot.com  http://www.onfirewithfireflies.blogspot.com
laralaralaralara
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2005 02:30:13 PM »

Hm.  No tracing.  Well maybe if the artwork is black & white, you want to do it over and over again several times it could make sense to use a print gocco... I think they are available for sale on the dick blick site and it's a great thing to have anyway for making cards or whatever.  If you put the screens in the freezer you will have them 4eva.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
viciouskittie
one crafty bitch

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2005 02:49:43 AM »

hmmmm...ill have to check that out! thanks!!! i have a screen printing machine..i never really thought about doing something similiar! you rock!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

katiekat82

Here, kitty, kitty, kitty...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2005 06:32:17 AM »

Check these out guys:

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=5411.0

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=34571.0

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=24449.0

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=13900.0

Did the search for ya. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Dolly Parton is my spiritual leader, and Clint Eastwood is my sewing buddy.
viciouskittie
one crafty bitch

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2005 04:21:36 PM »

ok so as you may see ive re-worded my post..to emphasis (sp?) that i dont want to trace..just throw in the copier/scanner and print, then iron and go! thanks for all the help!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Chelsea
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2005 06:04:38 PM »

You can also try using a copier or printer that uses toner.   I remember a post somewhere about that on here.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Craft a Duct Tape Hat
How to Craft a Duct Tape Halloween Bag
How to Craft a Duct Tape Backpack
How to Craft a Christmas Gourd Snowman
How to Turn Regular Socks Into Non-Skid Slipper Socks
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Dark Chocolate Bacon Pecan Pie
Amazing Altered Puzzles
Meatless Monday: Cottage Cheese Mousse

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...