A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 297,220
Currently Running With Scissors:
718 Guests and 30 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: how do I adjust block patterns  (Read 1044 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

spaz2phreek
« on: November 04, 2005 10:18:38 AM »

I'm looking for 8" blocks but I can't find any patterns for 8" I like. I'm wondering if anyone has any handy tricks for scaling a pattern up or down to be what you want it to be.

The only thing I can think of is using templates which I've never done. I've always just found the block I want w/ measurements for rotary cutting and done it that way.......I don't really know how to go about using a template. Would that be my best options and if so, how hard would it be?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craft till it hurts.
Sewersue
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2005 04:03:25 PM »

Go to the thread - Geat Sites for Quilters. http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=61389.0

I think there's a link there that can help you scale up or down a pattern.  If it's not there, let me know.  I have lots of resourceful quilter friends that can help you.  

Editing message:

I found the site for you - http://thequiltedsnail.com/scale.html
« Last Edit: November 04, 2005 06:58:29 PM by Sewersue » THIS ROCKS   Logged

spaz2phreek
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2005 11:22:22 PM »

maybe I'm a dunce or maybe just lazy but I guess I'm not sure exactly how to utilize that chart.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craft till it hurts.
Sewersue
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2005 04:30:37 AM »

Let's say your block is 8".  You look at the block sizes on the left of the chart (current block size).  And you want to enlarge it to 12".  You then look at the block sizes on the top of the chart (desired block size).  Find the intersection for both rows which would be 150%.  This means that you would need to copy your pattern for your 8" block and enlarge it to 150%.   

If you wanted to reduce the block size (12" to 8"), you would follow the same instructions but would copy your pattern at 67%.

I hope this makes more sense.  And no, you're not a dunce or lazy!  Smiley

You mentioned that you might use templates.  Is that what the patterns calls for? If you can describe what you're making and post a pic of the block, maybe we can figure out a shortcut to cutting the fabric.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2005 11:10:40 AM by Sewersue » THIS ROCKS   Logged

sarybow
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2005 10:39:58 AM »

If you can describe what you're making ot post a pic of the block, maybe we can figure out a shortcut to cutting the fabric.

Oh, quilting math!  Post what blocks you are interested in and we can see if we can't figure out the math together.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
spaz2phreek
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2005 11:15:33 AM »

I'm gonna post one just to get it figured out for future reference but I think what I'll do this time is just go with 6" squares and add a subtle 1inch border all around. See, I've been given a space and measurements in which to make this quilt. 4 8" squares X 3 8" squares w/ 2" sashing is what I've come up with for the space while (mostly) staying in the given parameters.......

Just changed my mind. I think I'm just pick one block, like my favorite pinwheel variation, and just do a whole big pattern instead of individual blocks w/ sashing and all. But I do still want to learn how to do this.....

Here's a pretty darn simple block that I like.........
http://www.quilterscache.com/D_F/DutchmansPuzzleBlock.html
.........What I'm not sure about w/ the chart posted by SewerSue is once I've got the pattern blown up (or down) how do I know what size the cut my pieces? That's why I wondered about using a blown up (or down) pattern similar to template pieces. Or am I supposed to multiple the original measurements by the percentage.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craft till it hurts.
Sewersue
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2005 11:58:33 AM »

I posted your question on another message board.  Click on this link to see their suggestions:

http://boards.hgtv.com/groupee/forums/a/tpc/f/5894011632/m/4941036542

I hope it helps you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

spaz2phreek
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2005 09:27:53 AM »

THANKS! That totally helps.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craft till it hurts.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Draw Big Bird from Sesame Street
The New Camera Raw in Photoshop CS6
How to Draw Spider Monkey from Ben 10 Alien Force
How to Draw Anais The Amazing World of Gumball
How to Draw an Orca Whale
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Molded Hot Glue
More Amazing Matchboxes
Meatless Monday: Pumpkin Spice Latte

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...