A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 297,025
Currently Running With Scissors:
476 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Thanks to the Hurricane - I learnt to knit!  (Read 1389 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

pucchimaiko

gimme vegemite

View Profile WWW
« on: November 24, 2005 01:21:07 PM »

About 2 years ago I purchased a bunch of knitting and crochet supplies, yarn and  Stitch n' Bitch.  I was going to finally teach myself how to knit.  Unfortunately - I humiliated myself and failed horribly and tossed everything to the very back of my closet in an effort to forget.  I'm a sewer, not a knitter.  Well...at least that is what I thought.

I was without power from Hurricane Wilma for 11 days - so I figured it was as good a time as any to clean my closet out.  When I went through my closet - I found my bag full of knitting gear.  I decided to give it another go. 

By candlelight - I finally figured it out and learnt how to do basic knit stitch.  I decided to do the usual "start with a scarf"...but I didn't want just a regular scarf...so I decided to size 35 (19mm) needles with thin yarn for a lacy effect.

It took forever to knit - I don't know how many times I had to keep ripping out rows and starting again.  I almost gave up at one point but I stuck with it and got into the swing of things.  Also, I didn't know how wide a scarf should be - so I just randomly chose 25 stitches across.  It turns out that is more a wrap than a scarf.  Oops Tongue

As a wrap:

As a scarf:

Now - I just need to teach myself how to purl, increase and decrease and then try something more challenging Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PUCHI MAIKO STORE NOW OPEN!! - Unique Kimono Fabric Kanzashi, Fashion Accessories, Chirimen Zaiku and Craft Supplies inspired by the Traditional Arts and Culture of the Japanese Geisha, Maiko and Kimono.
patriautism
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2005 01:45:31 PM »

Good for you! It looks a hell of a lot better than my first project! But then your stuff is always cute Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

knittinggodess
my mom thinks im cool.............

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2005 04:11:43 PM »

Good for you!!! starting is the hardest part, love the scarf!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

wanna be crafty, not quite there yet
BlackMarketBaby
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2005 05:20:18 PM »

Yay!  Good for you!  The yarn is gorgeous, I love that it's variegated yet still really dark.
Whilst I'm here, in case you've never seen it,
http://www.knittinghelp.com
is very helpful- videos for all those stitches & techniques you still need, and free.
ETA. Not that I mean at all that I don't think you're managing just fine- I do!; just in case it proves helpful! Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
olenka

if i can't dance, i don't want your revolution

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2005 01:34:01 AM »

BRAVO fore this lady.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Darkest_Faerie
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2005 10:32:02 AM »

Thats awesome!!! I wish I could knit
THIS ROCKS   Logged

-See my photography here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/traceylheureux/
-Visit my blog here: http://tinystarcreations.blogspot.com/
-Check out my zazzle site here:
http://www.zazzle.com/paper_airplane*
Chihiro
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2005 01:57:45 PM »

fantastic!  i recently taught myself to knit as well, using stitch n' bitch, another little pamphlet i got at Michaels, and finally knittinghelp.com.  the latter has been so much help!  she has little videos that show how to do everything!  purling does feel weird at first, but it's a cinch once you pick it up...i'm waiting to feel that way about increasing Undecided  anyway, congrats on learnign and making a beautiful scarf/wrap!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

apixiegrl
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2005 02:49:25 PM »

Fabulous first project...I luv your story too... hurray for u !!! (^_^)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pucchimaiko

gimme vegemite

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2005 08:22:18 PM »

patriautism - Thank you!  As for my stuff always being cute - you've never seen the items I don't post Tongue  Boy - there are some rough looking ones!

knittinggodess - Thank you!  I totally agree with you - starting IS the hardest part.  Now my fingers are itching to do a new scarf!

BlackMarketBaby - Thank you for your kind words and also for the knittinghelp.com link!  I learn VERY well by visual elements rather than reading - so this should be perfect to learn all the other stitches, etc!

olenka - Aw - thank you!

Darkest_Faerie - I always said "I wish I could knit" and finally got sick of saying it over and over again Tongue  Hence why I gave it another go Smiley

Chihiro - Thank-you!  I'm definately going to watch the videos at knittinghelp.com.  I found some more yarn hidden in the back of my closet today - so I'm gonna make something from it soon Smiley

apixiegrl - Aw - thank you so much!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PUCHI MAIKO STORE NOW OPEN!! - Unique Kimono Fabric Kanzashi, Fashion Accessories, Chirimen Zaiku and Craft Supplies inspired by the Traditional Arts and Culture of the Japanese Geisha, Maiko and Kimono.
spurtiic
Jennorific

I made BEST OF 2007 for my frozen bird nest pic!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2005 09:28:25 AM »

Wow! You're pretty like a model, too, so that makes your scarf look like something from a magazine.  I like that... I think the biggest needle size I have is 17, but I'm going to try this and see how it turns out.  Very beautimus!  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Life isn't complete 'til you crochet a uterus for a friend.  Just make sure your fallopian tubes point down and not up! No one needs to lose an eye this way! Wink

I love personal swaps for small stuff (including Hershey Kisses!)! PM me for happy fun rockin' good times!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Fold an Origami Flower
How to Fold an Origami Flower Pot
How to Make an X-Wing Fighter
How to Make an Origami Frog Base
How to Make an Origami Samurai Hat
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt
More Great Crafts Using Cardboard Tubes
Meatless Monday: No Meat Lasagna

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...