A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News: Craftster Best of 2014 have been announced!  Check out the winning projects here!
Total Members: 301,208
Currently Running With Scissors:
595 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Your crafty genes (not jeans)  (Read 1644 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Morning Star
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

feel my chest when i look at you, baby you, you got my only heart.

suppose i said, you're my saving grace?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2005 11:02:53 PM »

we always had tv growing up, but when my dad remarried, there was 8 kids and 4 adults (my step grandparents) in one house, so it was VERY hard to watch something you wanted to watch. so i always found something to do. i discovered how fun drawing was.
i remember one time i was keeping myself busy, and my dad came in and told me i was the only kid who didn't complain about being bored cause i always found something to do.

thanks for the purse idea, TessTessi. my step mom would love that. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

-mayor west?
-how do you know my language?

i made an info blog for my swap partners.
http://mon-seul.livejournal.com/

i now have a wist list!

www.wists.com/morningstar
wopsy
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2005 11:41:42 PM »

My grandma on my dad's side taught me how to crochet and knit when I was a kid.  It only took me about five minutes to get it, so maybe I was a natural, I dunno.

My mom was very creative, but flighty.  When I was a kid, she'd try oil painting one week, macrame the next week, embroidery, playing the violin, yoga, and she used to sew clothes for me when I was in early grade school. In later years, she got into quilting.  Mostly, she didn't finish much.

Her dad enjoyed gunsmithing and tying fishing flies.  Boatbuilding.

Other than that, I don't remember many rellys doing much.

I've always been crafty.  I've always been the type to just get a book and teach myself how to do whatever I wanted to learn.  And I jump right in with a difficult project usually.  And I pretty much always finish what I start.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Outernational inlaw.  Oh, I'm crafty, all right.
brookem
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2005 01:15:17 AM »

one of my grandmothers was a professional seamstress, the other was an interior designer, but both were super crafty. so are almost all of my aunts. my own mother is most decidedly not. my dad used to work as a carpenter, but he's the one who tought me how to sew. i used to do flaminco dancing- he made all of my costumes. he's the one who tought me how to use tools... my mum tought me how to use a seam ripper. fortunately, she likes to make up for her own lack of craftiness by buying me craft materials  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ZED'S DEAD BABY
eirinnkelly
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2005 01:25:31 AM »

The majority of my crafty genes came from my mom's family. My aunt makes really beautiful quilts, apparently she tried to get my mom into quilting but she didn't fall for it. My mom made all of our halloween costumes when my sister and I were little. Two of my aunts made their own wedding dresses, I don't know that I would be brave enough to do that Smiley We actually still have my grandmothers Singer sewing machine that the dresses were made on at our family camp. Also, my grandmother on my dad's side made me awesome clothes for my Barbies when I was young, she used to draw as well. So I guess that's where I got my love of all things crafty Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
wifeofbath

Tiber Swim Team

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2005 02:41:53 PM »

I don't think any of us can really be "first-generation crafters", because if we go back a few generations all but the richest people had to make at least some of the things they needed and wanted; go back still further, and many from the richest group did too. Crafting is part of everyone's heritage, even if it's skipped a few generations in our own particular family.

My parents were born in the early '40s and both the youngest children in their families, so my grandparents were from the era of having to make a lot of things yourself. Also, I come from a poor area of the US, so I think a sort of DIY ethos hung on a bit longer there than in more prosperous areas. For example, in the 1970s, when I was a child, a fair number of old people still swept with homemade brooms. Some older women still quilted (this was well before quilting exploded in popularity; back then it seemed to be *only* old women who quilted), sewed clothes, and crocheted. Whatever the aesthethic or other needs these activities satisfied in the women who made them, this was mostly practical stuff.

Anyway.

My maternal grandmother (who died before I was born) quilted, crocheted, sewed, embroidered, and, I think, may have done some tatting. My step-grandmother crocheted and, apparently, tatted. My mother did nothing crafty.

My paternal grandmother sewed clothes (both for family and for the public), made quilts, and crocheted; she eventually had to give up the sewing, but she kept crocheting right up until the end. It's possible she knew how to knit--I always used to see knitting needles with her tools--but I never saw her do it.

My father was an upholsterer and one of those people who, if he needs something, will figure out how to make it. For example, I've known him to make a backpack for carrying his trapping supplies, willow charcoal, and bamboo drawing pens. He took up painting a decade or so ago. He has to fit it in between hunting season and fishing season  Smiley of course, but he enjoys it and has sold a good many paintings for a hobbyist. He makes his own frames to display his paintings.

My sister does nothing remotely crafty and doesn't much care for homemade/handmade/handcrafted/whatever items. One or two of my paternal cousins does (or did) cross stitch. One of my paternal cousins is a really good fiction writer. Me? I dabble in things and spend way too much time on Craftster.  Roll Eyes Ah well, it keeps me off the streets.

Incidentally, one of my biggest regrets is that I never asked my grandmother or father to teach me their skills. Now it's too late. My grandmother died a couple of years ago, and I live a three hour drive from my father. Take this advice for whatever it's worth to you, but if your crafty grandparents (or other older relatives) are still around, ask them to teach you how to do what they do. You might want to ask even if you aren't all that interested, because it never hurts to have another skill, you never know what will come to interest you later on, and if nothing else you'll have a nice memory of that person.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"An old cloak makes a new jerkin..." (Wm Shakespeare, recycling and DIY enthusiast)
Kittenpants
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2005 10:16:01 AM »

I absolutely get it from my mother.  She taught me how to weave, embroider, crochet, make temari, costume, etc.  She's always had a separate room in the house dedicated to crafting -- and now I'm carrying on the tradition!   Roll Eyes

It seems to be fairly dormant in the rest of the family, though -- grandparents and father, not so much.

(BTW, KCGal -- I grew up in Prairie Village!  I live across State Line in Red Bridge now -- how fun!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm not an addict.  I could quit crafting anytime I want.  *twitch*
fruithead
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2005 05:11:47 PM »

i've definitely got some crafty genes. my grandmother was an amazing crafter. she worked as a seamstress but also sewed for family and friends. she even made wedding dresses for a couple of her friends back in the 30's. she also knitted, crocheted and did needlework. plus she was an awesome baker. she was one of those people who could master any craft she tried and make everything look professional.

my mom was an artist when she was young and sews, knits, cross-stitches, is a great decorator and has dabbled in lots of different things. my sister didn't get the craft genes in the in the idea of sewing and playing with glue guns and fabric paint but she's a talented artist and illustrator and combines illustration with collage and wood burning. i, on the other hand, am not much of an artist but i do all that crafty stuff. the only thing i haven't inherited are knitting skills but i hope to develop them one day.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
EmilyFlew
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

..sweets4ever is so rad..

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2005 05:31:20 PM »

My entire maternal family is super crafty...

My mom was telling me that the other day, she was sewing a wall hanging and my brother was hammering dents out of his car doors at the same time. At that very moment, I know that I was sewing and I'm almost positive my grandmother was quilting. My uncle used to tie flies, and recently build his own boat (!). My mom had me sewing for as long as I can remember, and tought me to knit and crochet.

My dad's family, on the other hand, is not very crafty and are the type of people to get totally confused when you give them a handmade christmas present.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

technocutie, handmade iPod cases and felt accoutrements
thoughts and days.

I <3 the mod squad ladies!
DTchick
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2005 05:42:39 PM »

I was actually just hinking about the people in my family that craft or have crafted. My dad is just plain smart and inventive. If there's a problem he can figure out how to fix it if it's cheaper than buying new. His mother crochets and sews very well. I've wanted her to teach me for years, but she's too busy helping my other relatives with their lives several states away. I got tired of waiting and picked up a book. Bof. Her sister crochets, too.
On the other side, my great grandmother sewed i think. Her sister did these really pretty lace things. ( i forget the word.) My brother had the top grade in his home ec class. He made me a hat and a bath robe. He's also a really good drummer.  Other than that, I don't think there's anything. My mother likes to think she's creative, though. She can't sew, and we don't have a sewing machine, but she wants one. If my clothes ever needed repair she would either hot glue or staple them. Ouch. Despit my mother pretending to be creative, I think I've developed some skills. I can do duct tape and I'm teaching myself to crochet. I got a book about a week and a half ago, and I think I'm doing well. Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I don't cause commotions; I am one.

I didn't recognize you without the handcuffs.
mariska

play's the thing ;)

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2005 03:03:59 AM »

Posted by: wifeofbath
Insert Quote
I don't think any of us can really be "first-generation crafters", because if we go back a few generations all but the richest people had to make at least some of the things they needed and wanted; go back still further, and many from the richest group did too. Crafting is part of everyone's heritage, even if it's skipped a few generations in our own particular family.

well said! and isn't it great that people took time to decorate the pieces they made out of necessity!

i think i have crafty genes on both side, my mom sews, but that's about it; her mother/my granny can do anything! Smiley knitting, crocheting, embroidering, sewing...i probably have learned all this from her. my dad is an self-taught artist and has all sorts of different ideas, his mom was a super-knitter, she used to knit those delicate and lacy scarves for sale. even the socks she knitted for me were lacy and colourful! she also weaved baskets. and thinking more back..two of my great-aunts edited a women's magazine in the thirties. so they made up the patterns for sweaters or curtains or whatever, in those days almost every woman could knit or crochet!
so..lets carry on these fine genes! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

think outside the box
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Hair Style- Ted Gibson- Lela Rose- Fashion Week NY Fall 2010
Hair at Betsey Johnson - Fashion Week NY Fall 2010
Hair Style at DKNY - Fashion Week NY Fall 2010
How to Put in Hair Extensions at Home
How to Rejuvenate Your Hair
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Buffalo Spaghetti Squash
@Home This Weekend: Ticket Stub Shadowbox
Fishy fishy fishy...

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...