A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 296,384
Currently Running With Scissors:
668 Guests and 41 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Your crafty genes (not jeans)  (Read 1465 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

KCGal
« on: November 03, 2005 07:45:25 PM »

My mom's 60th b'day is coming up this month, so I was reflecting on what a cool gal she is...in fact, I credit her with passing along crafty genes to me.  She has always done SOMEthing crafty, ever since I was a wee lass.  I can remember her ribbon-smocked fleece jogging suits in the 1980s, hand-painted glassware a la Mackenzie Childs in the 1990s, and beaded bracelets in the new milennium.  In fact, she can claim that HER mom--who crocheted afghans for many years--passed along some crafty DNA.

So, where did you get your crafty genes?  Or are you a "first generation" crafter?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Morning Star
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

feel my chest when i look at you, baby you, you got my only heart.

suppose i said, you're my saving grace?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2005 08:18:30 PM »

ooohhh.. this is fun.
My mom used to dress up these bears and decorate little wicker chairs for them to sit in and sell them. (and i used to want to play in all her crafts)
and my grandmother on my dad's side used to knit and crochet, sew, spin... i guess she did a whole lot of things.
so i guess it runs in my blood on both sides. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

-mayor west?
-how do you know my language?

i made an info blog for my swap partners.
http://mon-seul.livejournal.com/

i now have a wist list!

www.wists.com/morningstar
TessTessi

Lily is my best friend

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2005 08:35:02 PM »

I definately got most crafty genes from my mom. She's a science teacher so she's always experimenting with something. She didn't actually teach me the crafts though, she knew I was happy to learn by watching and experimenting. She always got some crazy brilliant idea that she's working on, she's very creative.  She mostly quilts these days, and she's the ringleader at her church for all the ladies who craft.  She has the best family reunions, she always has a craft sections for the little kids to play in.  Last time she had a reunion, they made beaded necklaces with UV sensitive beads AND glow in the dark. The children went bonkers!!

My dad is also a very creative person. He's an writer, so most of his creativity comes out in his words.  He doesn't do much in the way of crafts, with the exception of book binding. He likes to make limited run books for family members, so he taught himself how to bind books.  When he was my age he did Indian dancing, and made all his own costumes.  When it was "mountain man" day in 5th grade, my dad helped me design my costume and my mother sewed it. Then he taught me how to bead, and I made a beaded yoke for my little costume. It was so much fun Smiley 

I'm am so happy to have been raised in such a creative enviroment, it's made it easy for me to learn new things (crafts or otherwise). . .they never said I couldn't do something.  I always make them gifts for birthdays and christmas, they are always appreciative Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Holy flipping cow. I changed my profile picture after 4 years on here.

Love Alpacas?  Go visit: Alpaca Love Club
Come visit my website!  www.madebytess.com
Morning Star

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2005 08:37:38 PM »

My dad is also a very creative person. He's an writer, so most of his creativity comes out in his words. 

your parents sound awesome. it must've been fun growing up.
i forgot my dad is a writer, too. i get that from him, also. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

-mayor west?

i now have a wist list!

beans
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2005 08:44:23 PM »

The girls in my mom's family are pretty crafty. I guess my gramma did it out of necessity at first, but she must have liked it because she kept knitting and quilting. My mom crochets and sews (she was a young adult last time it was popular) and both of my aunts also knit/crochet/sew/cross-stitch. They also liked to do the colourful string craft (I forget what it's called) where you stick nails into a board and then make neat circular designs with it. When I was in high school, they found a leftover kit with a pattern of owls in brown, yellow and orange that I got to make! Sorry, I guess it's almost my bed time, I'm not making much sense anymore. Huh
THIS ROCKS   Logged
TessTessi

Lily is my best friend

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2005 08:49:09 PM »

You're parents sound awesome, too Smiley I wish I got some of my dad's writing skills.  I always had to write and re-write essays in high school to pass AP Lit. My teacher actually told me I was better off not taking the test, she thought I'd fail. I showed her, though, I got a better score than her star pupil. HAH. Anyway, back on track.  I'm good at expressing myself verbally and in my crafts, but not so much in writing. I think I may be a little dyslexic or something, I substitute the wrong words, mix things up make crazy spelling mistakes and the like. I'll read and re-read it, and it makes complete sense in my head. As soon as I read it to another person, or post a post, or review my essays after getting them corrected I can see the mistakes.  It's not too bad, these days I just email my dad a copy and have him edit for me Smiley  Oh well. My theory is that it takes all types! There's a place for everyone!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Morning Star

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2005 10:06:09 PM »

i think there's a place for everyone, too.
i can't speak. haha. and i can barely read aloud. but i can write pretty well. i'd rather write something than say it most of the time.

my step mom is more crafty than my mom, though. she likes to make things with the shells she finds (by the way, if you know of any shell crafts, let me know). my mom doesn't do anything like that anymore.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

-mayor west?

i now have a wist list!

d_oubt

Go Banana, GO!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2005 10:17:55 PM »

I was thinking about this the other day actually.

My family is rather creative.

My grandmother likes to sew and quilt.

My mother liked to sew, quilt and garden. I'm not sure how creative gardening is, but it was one of her hobbies.

My father likes to write, make railroad models (amazingly intricate), decorate the house, problem solve and build furniture. (He no longer has a garage - it's a woodshop now).

My sister likes to quilt and sew.

My brother tinkers with electronics, and figures out how to get or make things as cheaply as possible (which I think involves a lot of creativity). He's trying to retire early.

I like to do photography and have recently taken up sewing again.

So yea, we all have our things. Personally I think it's fantastic. It gave us all a sense of independence, but also makes for interesting conversations. It's so sad to me to see families that just bond by watching tv together. We didn't have cable until I was 16, so I think that really fueled our craftiness. I think creativity is so important, and not in just actually making things, but it's terrific for problem solving.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
determinedimprovisation

overly-excited crafter of all trades

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2005 10:27:15 PM »

my dad's side--nothing.

my mom's side: well my mom's pretty crafty herself.  she used to crochet back in the day, always made halloween costumes for my sister and me (and my german folk dance outfit), used to do calligraphy and occasionally uses it to fancify cards, and now she quilts and redecorates.  she's good at making things, but not so hot on the coming up with ideas part.  (that's my job.  i'm always saying she could do it this way, or this, ooooo, THIS would be cool!)  i've also inherited the occasional burnt orange and puke green vintage  craft kit from her.  my sister is creative and does craft--but only the "cool" crafts, like stenciling.  (gotta keep up the 10th grade rep.)  my aunt doesn't craft much anymore, but in the 90's she made lots of those little country bunny dolls and sold them at craft fairs, and she's probably also the world's fastest cross-stitcher.  my uncles invented the towel trapper, which holds your towel onto your beach chair.  my grandma sews clothes for my little cousins and sometimes their dolls.  my grandpa is in to woodworking and makes all sorts of beautiful things--scrollsaw stuff, bowls, intarsia, and the occasional bit of furniture.  he also made a wooden version of wilson from home improvement (this was a long time ago) which looks over their fence onto the road and they decorate him for whatever holiday is coming up and sometimes he makes it onto the news when he's got his cheesehead on.   Cheesy  my cousin does some really nice woodwork too.  and to top it all off, my great-great (i think) grandpa invented squirt soda, and some distant relatives started a publishing company.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
TessTessi

Lily is my best friend

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2005 10:30:00 PM »

One of my friends showed me the worlds cutest purse made of a shell the other day.  It was some sort of large mussell shell with a hinge on the bottom, and a metal clasp on the top to close it. Inside was lined so you could hold change in it!! It was so amazing!  I have a handbag my mother got in Hawaii which is made with little shells all strung together.

As you can see on the left part of the strap, it's broken Sad So I guess I get to learn how to do it!!

d_oubt We never had cable television.  When I moved out it took me years to get a television, then I gave it away when I moved to Cali.  One of my friends recently gave me her old TV (her boyfriend got a 61" (!!!) plasma TV or something equally as ridiculous), and it has a VHS player on it!!! I don't watch TV, but I hit the thrift stores for tapes!! I just got the Cindy Crawford 80's workout tape! I am soooo excited!!!!  I also scored "The Breakfast club" recently, so I'm excited about that, too.  I actually enjoy listening to music much more than watching TV. I can do something else while doing it, and good music always makes me think!! I turn into a zombie when I'm in front of a tv since I haven't had one for so long!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Adjust Sports Photos Using Curves
How to Customize Your Template Design
How to Create a Quick Poster Part 1
How to Create a Quick Poster Part 2
Learn how to change the background
Latest Blog Articles
Craft Challenge 101 Announced - Stash Buster
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects
How to Make Summer Treats

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...