A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 296,600
Currently Running With Scissors:
741 Guests and 33 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Help with sewing together knitting, please!  (Read 475 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

squishy

And you will be my squishy.

View Profile
« on: November 03, 2005 05:14:41 PM »

I'm new to the knitting world, and I'm not sure what you do to sew knitting together. I mean, do you use a normal needle? How do you tie your work off? Any suggestions would be appriciated. Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

You are a mushroom in a field of flowers.
DithMer

Have a good one, and learn everything you can.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2005 09:00:56 PM »

They sell special "yarn needles" at craft stores. They're usually made out of plaastic or metal, and they have bigger holes than regular needles. There are different sizes for different weights of yarn.  And to tie it off, well, there's really no particular way to do it. My favorite way is to do the last stitch, then before I pull it closed, run the yarn through the stitch twice.  Then tie a normal knot, and cut it off, leaving a small tail to weave in.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
BlackMarketBaby
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2005 09:07:35 PM »

Maybe this can help:

http://knitty.com/ISSUEspring04/mattress.html
THIS ROCKS   Logged
TessTessi

Lily is my best friend

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2005 09:08:43 PM »

I really enjoyed a book called, The Knitters Book of Finishing Techniques.  http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/156477452X/qid=1131080555/sr=8-1/ref=pd_bbs_1/002-1867536-3571222?v=glance&s=books&n=507846
It gives incredible detail on invisible seaming in many different pattern stitches, and lots of other great tips. 

knittinghelp.com also has a video for different finishing tips. I haven't watched them, but I have learned a lot from her other videos so I'm sure these are great Smiley

Good luck finishing your sweater!! Don't be afraid of it!  Once you get a hang of seaming, it will go quickly and you'll be able to wear your garment!! I'm probably the only person who will say this, but I LOVE to sew up sweaters. I think it's because I've been sewing much longer than knitting, so it came very easily to me.  Just like knitting, it's not difficult once you learn to identify what your looking at Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Holy flipping cow. I changed my profile picture after 4 years on here.

Love Alpacas?  Go visit: Alpaca Love Club
Come visit my website!  www.madebytess.com
TheDishclothQueen
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2005 09:12:31 PM »

Now I have to say that when it comes to knitting, never tie a knot.  Not only do they have a nasty habit of coming through on the right side (no matter how careful you are), but also, knots come undone.  A throughly woven in end won't ever come out.  I've knit a lot of clothing, baby stuff included (and what gets washed more than that!), and never made a knot. It's all holding up wonderfully, with no sign of falling apart.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Making an effort to use proper English and not 'net slang makes me much more willing to respond to your post.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Celebrity Home Beauty Treatments
What to Pack For Beautiful Skin On and Off the Plane
Kim Kardashian to Release Weight Loss Book
Best & Worst Beauty
Best & Worst Beauty
Latest Blog Articles
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament
Cardboard Tube? Craft Supply!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...