A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 297,048
Currently Running With Scissors:
465 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 88
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: how do you let a muggle down nicely when they ask you to knit something?  (Read 114146 times)
Tags for this thread: knit  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Annkari
« Reply #30 on: November 04, 2005 04:00:25 PM »

The only time I knit for other people is when I make surprise gifts. It usually takes me a long time to finish a project because I'm always working on several of them, so I don't want anyone who is waiting for an item breathing down my neck.

When I'm asked to knit something, I tell people that I charge double the material costs. The next question is usually how much that would be, and the answer tends to shut people up.  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lupinbunny

the bunny with the loops

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: November 04, 2005 06:17:20 PM »

When I'm asked to knit something, I tell people that I charge double the material costs. The next question is usually how much that would be, and the answer tends to shut people up.  Grin

that's good! i like that! it's my new plan of attack!
(but i know i'll get chronic guilts when my poor-student friends ask for things. Like, we're talking the ones who can't afford to buy new clothes, but will try to pay for the yarn... i KNOW i won't be able to tell them double.... ohhhh *sigh*)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lyla
« Reply #32 on: November 04, 2005 09:58:50 PM »

I find it kind of rude when people ask you to knit something for them.. like you can just clap your hands and it'll be done.

I only knit for my sister.. and that's because she's happy with simple things.. and plus, I offer, she doesn't ask. In fact.. I make and give.. she doesn't ever expect anything but she's a very, very appreciative person.  She doesn't take anything for granted and knows that what she's getting is special.

What you can do is tell her to buy the yarn and the needles and you'll show her how to do a basic stitch that should suffice with whatever she wants to do and when she has all the pieces and you have time.. you'll show her how to piece it together HERSELF... maybe after she see's how time consuming and how much effort it is she'll leave you alone.

I don't get it with some people.. if she thinks you're making excuses NOT to do it.. then that should tell her to stop pushing you.

Ten dollars? That's a joke, right?  Shocked

THIS ROCKS   Logged
redstar13
"Setting a goal is not the main thing. It is deciding how you will go about achieving it and staying with that plan. " -Tom Landrey

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #33 on: November 04, 2005 10:03:46 PM »

People ask me to sew for them all the time. Different, I know. but irritating just the same. I was a costumer for a while and it was like do I ask you to do your job for free for me? why should i do it for you?

the only people i let really get away with it are my younger sister at halloween (but i also made her a quilt as a suprise and she loved it - had it on her bed at college - it was quesn size- and she wouldn't let people sit on it!) and its usually fun stuff- like a mermaid this year, and i let my grandma get away with it cause, well she's my grandma.

I have had friends ask me to sew stuff for them, and i usually tell them i don;t have the time, b/c 9 times out of 10 i don't b/c they want me to make the pattern and yada yada (i make most of my patterns) and thats a shit load of work.  I used to be friends with this girl who wanted me to make her all these tops britney spears wore in her videos........ yeh right!! she ahs well paid stylists.....you don't. haha...

sorrry. rant over!

edit- I would LOVE to learn to knit! add it to my repetoire of crafts that i don't have time for but i stay up to til 4 am cause i want to !!!
« Last Edit: November 04, 2005 10:05:54 PM by redstar13 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lyla
« Reply #34 on: November 04, 2005 10:17:55 PM »

I've had nothing but bad experiences so far with this sort of thing.

I knitted myself a really long scarf as my *first* project ever and one of my friends saw it.  She asked me to knit her one and gave me 10 to cover the cost of the wool.

So I knitted the scarf, it took me AGES and I said "you can give me a donation when I've finished it to account for the time I've put in" before I started it.  She told me she'd paint me a picture (she's doing an art degree) so I was like, OK fair dos.

I finished the scarf.  I handed it over.  "Oh thanks a lot!" was all I got.  The wool cost me more than the 10 she had given and this is not even accounting the hours I spent knitting the damn thing.  I cannot say how trodden on I felt at that point, it was a horrible feeling to not have any acknowledgement of the time (and money) put into making something which somebody else thinks you can whip up in 5 minutes.

I just had another bad experience last night.  In May I knitted a scarf (my 3rd scarf) for a friend.  I was working night time welfare (during the night help for insomniacs and the suchlike) last night and we have a box which contains "vomit rags" as in, stuff you grab when somebody is going to hurl across the office.  My scarf was sitting in there.  Sad

It's not like it was particularly awful either!  I just felt sick to my stomach when I saw it in there.  A complete and utter slap in the face to the hard work I'd put into it.  One of my other friends was like "I want it!  I need a scarf!" so she's getting it!  I rescued it from it's terrible fate last night.  Harumph, some people.   Angry

So now basically when somebody asks for something (daily occurence) I just say - come with me to the wool shop, we'll choose the wool and then you pay for it on the spot.  I warn them that then when it's finished I won't hand it over without a donation towards the work I've put in!

I would have been ready to kick someone in the shins.. on both accounts.. that's just so.. DAMN RUDE.

You've got alot of patience. I curse like a sailor when I'm angry... that office would've had the echo of every bad word I knew ringing in it.

I'm so sorry that happened to you... I'd have felt sick too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
fluffyhelen

<3 etsy&craftster

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #35 on: November 05, 2005 10:04:05 AM »

Thanks, I just hope my bad experiences will serve as some sort of lesson to other people.  :S  I'd hate for somebody else to feel the way I did about knitting I had done for other people.

It felt better to get it out though, I knew fellow craftsters would be able to empathise!  I told another friend and he laughed!  Nobody realises how much time and effort knitting takes!

* fluffyhelen goes off to look for a magic wand

I forgot to add that I've agreed to knit a "Jayne Cobb" hat for somebody.  It's quite an adventurous one and I am going to feel guilty asking for the donation but he knows I work for donations so lets hope it won't be too difficult a task.   Huh
« Last Edit: November 05, 2005 10:06:46 AM by fluffyhelen » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Lyla
« Reply #36 on: November 05, 2005 03:31:48 PM »

I'm sure you'll do great  Grin Good luck with your new project!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
loisgriffinwannabe
The knitter formerly known as Cutieknittahfairy...

Happy!

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 05, 2005 06:02:23 PM »

ax174, kmsmaverick, fluffyhelen, (btw, fluffyhelen, that is so horrible, I felt sick to my stomach when I read your post,  I totally sympathize...)

I have been very recently stupid by not turning down a super long skinny scarf, and it makes me ill to think that I am not finished it. The reason it is taking me longer than usual (7 days as opposed to 16hrs) is that after I agreed to knit it, the girl I am making it for saw that as a sign she was my best buddy  Huh and decided to "open up" about how she really felt about jews, deaf people, strippers, east indians, asians, and pretty much anyone that wasn't herself- she was the most racist, narrow minded person I have met yet. (and I have met a few, trust me) The only races she didn't have a problem with were spanish (herself), causcasian, and black-myself. Her excuse? She was raised that way, and has a boyfriend who is equally racist, and since she doesn't usually open up, ppl don't know what she is like. Oh, and blacks are okay, because we are so "cool". Ugh.

Unfortunately, she had already gave me the yarn that she bought, and paid me handsomely in a very expensive dinner out. I was so stunned and kept asking her if she was for real. She was. I climbed out of her car, and didn't realize until I was halfway through knitting the stupid scarf how much I loathed knitting something for someone so utterly horrible.

Thanks for listening... it was so good to get that out. As I write this I am super close to finishing, and can't wait to give it to her and get her out of my life forever!

emms  Angry
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lasandri
originator of the term "crackster", as in craftster is like crack.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: November 05, 2005 06:10:08 PM »

OMG she sounds HORRIBLE.

if i were you i'd finish the scarf and the connection between you two ASAP. give her the scarf, say hey thanks for dinner and drop the whole thing at that. of course, you didn't ask my opinion, but there it is.

being hispanic myself, i've heard the kind of stuff she talks about around other hispanic people but c'mon you have to be pretty lame to buy into it. when i hear other people talk about that stuff i can't keep my mouth shut and pretty much get on my soapbox to preach the goodness of all people. i love a good debate.

good luck on getting it done this minute!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

loisgriffinwannabe
The knitter formerly known as Cutieknittahfairy...

Happy!

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 05, 2005 06:22:02 PM »

thanks lasandri... don't worry, that is my plan. I don't have enough energy to educate her. Her parents are from El Salvador, but she was raised in Florida, and now she works in a social service agency here in BC. Go figure- I asked her if she feels that maybe it will affect her on the job... since she is bound to meet someone she is against, and have to case manage them- but she says she is not like that at work, just at home and that no one has realized it, and she pretends... so disgusting. I wasn't buying it.

I was mad that she wanted me to be her friend because "black ppl are hip and cool" I wanted to hit her, and I am seriously non-violent.

yucckers.  Sad

e
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 88 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Michael Capuzzo Talks About The Murder Room
Cassandra Clare Talks About Clockwork Angel Part 2
Meet Author Jeannette Walls
Indu Sundaresan Talks About Shadow Princess
David McCullough Reveals His Favorite Movies
Latest Blog Articles
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt
More Great Crafts Using Cardboard Tubes

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...