A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 300,871
Currently Running With Scissors:
483 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 82 83 [84] 85 86 ... 88
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: how do you let a muggle down nicely when they ask you to knit something?  (Read 112509 times)
Tags for this thread: knit  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

jayxwolf
« Reply #830 on: December 29, 2008 12:37:00 PM »

Shocked
some people say the strangest things to me when they see me knit in public.  I typically spend at least one lunchbreak a week at the (awful corporate coffee shop) around the corner, and I am friendly with a few of the teeny-bopper baristas. 
(Some of them even witnessed the assembly and application of my mad-silly Halloween costumes for the NYC parade this year, as that was my "staging area"  Cheesy so they know I'm crafty.)
One of them, Candice, is an absolute doll, she is always curious about what my latest project is, chats with me about different crafty things, etc., and always is just really friendly and polite in general.
Then there is another girl, Melody, who once saw me knitting a hat, started telling me a story about how one of her cousins knits/crochets and sells them "way too expensive, like 25 dollars and stuff" -- and then asks me when I'm going to knit her a hat.  (HA!)

It sort of sucks, because I actually had thought about knitting a hat for Candice as a surprise thanks-for-being-a-nice-barista gift, but I couldn't easily do it for her and NOT for Melody without likely causing a fair amount of strife.

I knit on request ONLY when I have a deposit for the full cost of yarn, and sometimes full cost of the garment.  Depending on the garment, I usually just charge twice the yarn as the labor price.  it sounds cheap, but it usually balances out-- for example I just finished a commission for a hat-- my yarn cost was 12, so I put my labor at 24, so the hat was $36. A sweater I designed once worked out to around 375-- again, yarn was 125, labor 250. This works for me because I knit like a freak of nature, and because usually the amount and quality of yarn is proportional.  (And for luxury fibers that would drive the price up higher, I justify pricing the labor in this way; knits with fibers that I don't want to take around town with me and say, knit on the subway, are going to take me longer to complete because I have to dedicate time specifically to that project, and nothing else, for that time.)

Generally, unless it's for family or a friend who knows what I put into my knitting, I do not knit for other people unless they are clients!  saves soo much stress.  I usually shut down anyone who is asking for me to work for free the way I would anyone else who wanted me to-- by requesting payment.   Grin

~j

THIS ROCKS   Logged
PlasticReagan
« Reply #831 on: July 29, 2009 11:12:23 AM »

I think I luck out - in that all my friends know that I am all crazy and stuff, really i have trained them that as an artist i have to be inspired to do something. so i often say i will put it down on a list of things to do (and i do) and the next time i get inspired to knit a dog sweater i will do it. but i also tell them if it is something they NEED not to wait on me. Inspiration can take a while. hehehe. It works for me. My friends like it because they will just randomly get cute little gifts from me. I like it because there is no pressure.
Good luck.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
gamemom42
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #832 on: July 30, 2009 06:14:12 AM »

Months ago, I asked someone to knit a purse for me.  When she said it would be $40, I thought she was just trying to get out of doing it.  I loved the purse she had done already as a gift, but thought (really truly thought) that she was ripping me off. 

That was before... this is now.  I finally took a knitting class and it only took me a few minutes to gain a whole new appreciation of knitters and knitted items.  The expense took me by surprise, but the speed, or lack of speed, shocked me.  I honestly thought you just clicked your needles together a few times and viola! , a beautiful purse or scarf emerged. 

In defense of those muggles...  Knitters forgive them, for they know not what they do.  They just don't get it at all.  I love the idea of sending them to the yarn store to purchase the materials themselves or even suggesting they take a class.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mysticflower
Madeleine Allcock

View Profile WWW
« Reply #833 on: August 10, 2009 10:39:59 AM »

I have a 'craft nest' - a basket that I use to store handmade items recently made until I use them. For example, I might really want to make a certain amigurumi but not want to necessarily keep it or display it with my other ones, or I might make a hat or something that just really doesn't suit me (sadly) after I have finished it. Then, at Christmas, I pull these out and gift wrap some of them. I know it sounds like I haven't thought of the recipient, but I won't give it away unless I know the person will like it, and it suits them etc. Sometimes I purposefully fill the 'craft nest'. Anyway my point is, it allows me to give things to people with enough space between making the item and giving it away that my hopes aren't high about seeing them wear the item, or even appreciate it the way I would like. Sometimes they are cherished, and this is a good feeling!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ysmeine
« Reply #834 on: August 28, 2009 04:00:51 PM »

I have someone that asked me to make a purse and even though I have not made it yet, they have asked for something else as well. I keep hoping she will forget, but she keeps reminding me. The problem is she is greedy, lazy, and ungrateful. She has conned someone else to make her something, but then was too lazy to use it and decided she wanted one like mine.

It is easier to say no when they ask to buy something from me. But, I have a habit of making the residents little things, when I feel like it. Then others think they are entitled.

I was spinning wool at work the other day and a coworker approached me about making a king sized blanket for Rondesvue. I explained that it would take a long time to spin that much yarn and his options would be to buy some handspun at $16. a skein or go to Hobby Lobby and buy wool yarn for $6. a skein. I also let him know that it would likely take more than 15 skeins, I pulled out a calculator and crunched some numbers to let him know how much materials cost. I further let him know that I do not have weaving capabilities at this time and didn't know if crochet would fit into that time period. I haven't heard back as it is much cheaper to just buy something.

I started spinning due to the sca. I feel learning the tasks is part of reenacting. Otherwise you are just camping in fancy clothes.

I don't think people realize how many back projects we have. Or that I may have free time, but that is my time with my family. Maybe if they want to clean my house.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

AcrophobicPixie
Resident Piximacated Person

Kneesocks of DOOOM! DOOOM, I say!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #835 on: October 12, 2009 08:13:10 AM »

My boyfriend actually DIDN'T want me to knit anything for him. Which is shocking, to me. All of my previous bf's were all like "Knit me something! OMG knit me something!" He's all like "You don't need to go to the time or trouble. I really don't need anything."

So, yeah.. Promptly started knitting him the Code Red Virus scarf in black. And I want to stab myself with my needles, but I will finish this, gosh darn it!

But now the people at work are wanting me, and the other knitter, to make them hats and things. We're using the "It's almost 2 months till christmas, and we're soooo busy with our family's gifts, we can't possibly fit in another project!" excuse.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Don't piss off Pixie's... they tend to be mean when they swarm!
Retromiad

I have to send it WHEN?!?

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #836 on: October 12, 2009 05:35:49 PM »

Brave girl you are, Pixie.. haven't you heard of the boyfriend sweater curse?  I know you're not knitting a sweater, but still... Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
AcrophobicPixie
Resident Piximacated Person

Kneesocks of DOOOM! DOOOM, I say!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #837 on: October 13, 2009 08:16:18 AM »

I think I'm safe from that curse.

1) He's an IT Sys Admin who's getting a scarf knitted in binary
2) I've never finished a sweater in my life.
3) We're discussing him moving here (He'd have better pay, and I have a huge apartment)
4) (This is the scary one) He made a comment about babies, and the making of them... Eep!

Though, I had the oddest response to my "Yarn is for family and significant other's at this time, and you're neither" line. "I'm family. We're cousins." "No, you're not. I'm sorry, but there are no african americans in my family at this time." "I'm not african american. I have a reverse vitiligo. Knit me a hat like that one. But not pink."

I cracked up.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Don't piss off Pixie's... they tend to be mean when they swarm!
Zephyr Snuggles
« Reply #838 on: October 20, 2009 06:31:43 AM »

I'd just like to say...

I read the whole thread...just then...all in one sitting...

After a night with only three and a half hours sleep...

It's horrible that so many terrible things have happened to so many beautiful people but... *passes the heck out*
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Callani

Fall for pretty strangers & the promises they hold

View Profile WWW
« Reply #839 on: October 22, 2009 02:16:37 PM »

Me too! All 84 pages, and I'm sooo glad that people started commenting on it again 'cause with only a few pages to go it was stuck in 2007 and I was like "I can't comment on a 2 year old post"  Undecided

Thankfully I haven't had any bad experiences with people asking me to knit stuff. If I had anyone demanding I made them anything I'd tell them a flat out no but sometimes I'll get requests that I just can't do and I'll say "That's too complicated/expensive/time consuming for me to do, sorry." And sometimes I'll suggest an alternative if I feel like it and I want to share the crafty love.

For example, I made my cousin a onesie for her baby when I found out she was pregnant and my colleague asked if I could do one for her. I explained that it was a really complicated thing but that I would do booties 'cause they're fun and quick (and also soooo cute and people get so excited about how small they are!)

I did crochet the Babette blanket for my Grandma's birthday which is the biggest project I've done to date and she loved it and always has it hanging on the sofa so her friends can see I made it! (Also totally would NEVER knit a blanket - waaaay too long!)

Another tack, if people are honestly interested by homemade stuff really is to offer to teach them how to do it.

My housemate Emily had been drooling over my skirts for ages and coming into my room to "watch me sew" 'cause she was so impressed and so for her birthday I took her to buy material and then taught her how to make one herself. I've honestly never known someone to be so excited and it was really good fun and rewarding to do.

Plus then she went a bought a sewing machine and got really good herself - so much better than me - and she always tells people I taught her even though my sewing pales into insignificance compared to hers.

So yeah - happy craft related stories to balance out some of the horrors on this post!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm the hero of this story I don't need to be saved
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 82 83 [84] 85 86 ... 88 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Ancient Marks
City of Lost Carts
Photo Shooting With a Portable Tripod
Capturing Shapes and Patterns in Outdoor Photos
Working With a Light Modifier
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight On: Stamping
Mr X Stitch Presents: The Cutting (& Stitching) Edge - Jose Romussi
Tute Tuesday: Imprinting on Concrete

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...