A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 297,467
Currently Running With Scissors:
436 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 81 82 [83] 84 85 ... 88
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: how do you let a muggle down nicely when they ask you to knit something?  (Read 115041 times)
Tags for this thread: knit  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Silver Ilix
Up Late

Make your own way........

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #820 on: July 13, 2008 12:34:15 PM »

LOL....oh my that is a good one! ROTFL!!! Cheesy

M Fox thanks for sharing the nice stories.... it's good to remember those ones too.
I recently had one myself, she had no idea that I was knitting a wedding shawl for her... she loved it and I got much admiration and hugging! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

my knitting blog: www.uplatedesigns.blogspot.com

I saw the angel in the marble and carved until I had set him free. *Michanlengelo
I Sew Cute
Jewelry and Trinkets Moderator
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I'm a Fanatic Friend of Craftster!

Take me to the kittens!!! >^.^<

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #821 on: July 17, 2008 04:35:46 PM »

This started for me when in grade school only it wasn't knitting ...it was drawing....classmates asking me if I would 'draw them something'...

I feel flattered when asked, but politely decline by stating there are so many projects in progress I need to work on. Now I must get back to my swaps!

Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out Trinkets & Jewelry! Wink
pinterest
blog
twitter
etsy
caoutchouc
« Reply #822 on: July 18, 2008 07:41:36 PM »

Add me to the list of people that read the entire thread  Cheesy

So I just inadvertently made my bf request something.  Let me explain.  I'm knitting a lacy flapper-style nightdress (pattern from Knitorama) and, being that I haven't seen him in 3 weeks and I will be seeing him again next Friday, I was hoping to... wear it for him  Tongue  Anyway, so when he asked what I was knitting, I told him it was a secret.   The next day I realized that totally made it sound like I was knitting a present for him... after all, we have an anniversary coming up!  So I explained to him that I unfortunately wasn't making him a gift (I was right, he DID think I was.  I felt so bad!) and apologized, and that "I don't want to talk about my current projects because I don't want there to be expectations about them".  Which was a white lie/cover, but is true as well.  He composes electronic music, and feels the same way about his tracks--won't let anyone listen until they're finished to his liking.

Long story short, I'm now working on making him a simple 2 color striped scarf because I know I can whip it up before I see him, and it should be a useful gift for when we go to New York this December Cheesy

Other than that, the only other person to request things is my mom, and she only asks for simple things I have no problem making her.  Not to mention she bought me my first knitting book plus a set of convertible circs one Christmas.  For her birthday last week, I made her a headband and a beanie in hand painted San Jose Sharks (hockey) colors, because she's a fanatic.  The yarn was a totally unexpected find at my LYS and she freaked out Smiley
« Last Edit: July 18, 2008 07:42:55 PM by caoutchouc » THIS ROCKS   Logged
M Fox
« Reply #823 on: July 20, 2008 08:33:18 PM »

Long story short, I'm now working on making him a simple 2 color striped scarf because I know I can whip it up before I see him, and it should be a useful gift for when we go to New York this December Cheesy
Try to do up a hat, too.  I've been to NY in December and needed a hat and scarf.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rottenlittleboys

Inspiration without application is moot.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #824 on: July 21, 2008 11:42:31 AM »

"I don't want to talk about my current projects because I don't want there to be expectations about them".  Which was a white lie/cover, but is true as well.  He composes electronic music, and feels the same way about his tracks--won't let anyone listen until they're finished to his liking.

Oh my, the sign of a true artist.  Cool
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Knit-Wit

Knitting and kitties go together....

View Profile WWW
« Reply #825 on: July 24, 2008 06:43:05 PM »

I've had my sister kindly request things that I've made either in another color or something like that. It's not very often I knit for other people, I've wanted to try and start a fad at school so I could use up my stash of yarn. But it never got off the ground. Well, not yet at least ^^
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wanna know whatcha gotta do when life is gettin' you down? Just keep knitting, just keep knitting, knitting knitting, what do we do we knit, knit, knit
ferrisbhorse

Paloma Luna 5/22-12/10/2008

View Profile
« Reply #826 on: October 05, 2008 12:23:04 PM »

Usually I tell them to get the yarn for me and that's the end of it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Yume_Ookami

Feed the pirate pudding!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #827 on: October 18, 2008 04:37:29 PM »

Luckily most people that come up to me to ask if I'd make them this or that, usually forgets. =P Only my friend who's been wanting a Hufflepuff scarf has been keeping tabs, which is fine since I know she appreciates hand made items.

I love this thread, by the way. At least I know what to do now if I don't want to do a project for someone!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
UnRuli
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Artist/Illustrator/Professor

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #828 on: November 12, 2008 07:35:15 PM »

I would DIE to have someone sit down and show me how to knit my own things......heck I'd pay for THAT time even because I understand the value of the time spent teaching such a thing!  I've been wanting to learn to knit for years and although I've purchased books and videos it just doesn't seem to work for me.  I do SO much better when someone can show me something.  The closest classes are 45 minutes away, and although that wouldn't be too terribly bad under normal circumstances they don't hold classes when I'm off on semester break from my college courses (which is 45 minutes in the OPPOSITE direction).

As an artist I can certainly understand the issue of people wanting you suddenly to do lots of work for them!  I have people in the family constantly asking me to paint them something.  Not only do I not have the time, but with the price of paint and supplies I could be painting something I could sell!  That's not to say that I don't enjoy occasionally surprising special friends/family with unexpected gifts, but when my husband asks me to do a painting for one of the secretaries at work who is having a baby?  Come on!  I told him that if he bought it from me I'd do it........of course my last two paintings sold for $1500 and a quick xmas card design just sold for $500 so you know THAT isn't going to happen.  Heck, I have three commissions I need to finish and no time to do those right now!

So guys, stick to your guns!  If you don't want to do a project or don't feel the time spent is going to be properly compensated then say "NO".  The beautiful work I see being made here is worth far more than the prices I've seen quoted on ALL THESE PAGES I just spent reading (instead of completing my Mythology and Figure Drawing homework).

Good Luck to all!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kmsmaverick
« Reply #829 on: November 13, 2008 11:40:51 AM »

interestingly, i got the question from a knitter. she wants me to crochet picot edging on her sweater. I agreed, but mostly because i don't expect it will take me very long, and she seemed quite pleased.

curiously, she is a knitter, and she didn't ask if i could teach her how to do it. also, we were at the library, where there are gaggles of reference materials to use for instruction.

she's bringing the sweater to the next group session, i'll bring my hooks, and see if she would want to learn.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 81 82 [83] 84 85 ... 88 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
What are some basic rules of shot composition?
What is the best camera for everyday shooting?
How much should I budget for a digital camera?
What is an SLR camera?
How many megapixels should my digital camera have?
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Sandwich Wrap
Falling Leaves
Meatless Monday: Provencal Inspired Quiche

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...