A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,088
Currently Running With Scissors:
489 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 73 74 [75] 76 77 ... 88
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: how do you let a muggle down nicely when they ask you to knit something?  (Read 112481 times)
Tags for this thread: knit  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

slb2724
« Reply #740 on: June 29, 2007 04:48:51 PM »

I don't usually have much trouble with folks asking me to knit them stuff other than the odd joker who thinks I haven't heard it before.  Roll Eyes  But just a few weeks ago the weirdest thing happened.  I was stopped by a guy asking for money.  Not unusual, well except for the part about him asking for exactly $4, that was slightly odd and he wasn't getting it anyway on my 'poor' day (right before pay day).  I told him I was sure I didn't have that much change but that he could have whatever change I had, it took me ages to find my purse in my giant craft bag.  In this time he was checking out the scarf I was wearing and said he liked it very much.  This was nice I thought, and made me feel better about getting my purse out while standing next to a complete stranger (which I am sad to report has always made me feel nervous, after which always comes a feeling of guilt at having been so cynical about strangers Embarrassed).  So anyhow, what I ended up giving him probably added up to a little less than 2 bucks, at which point he asked me if I would knit him a scarf.   Shocked  I'll pay you for it of course, he says, and proffered his mobile phone number so I could let him know when it was done.   Huh  WTF!?  I really had no idea what on earth to say, my standard replies weren't going to cut it here as the whole situation was so illogicall. 

I would be a little confused too! He's asking for money, but can pay you for a scarf and has a mobile phone?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.beadsnthings.etsy.com

"I've ot a jar of dirt! And guess whats inside it!"-Jack Sparrow
fishie
she of the sea

perfecting neuroticism since 1984

View Profile WWW
« Reply #741 on: July 02, 2007 12:07:33 AM »

I meant to post this in my original response, but forgot!  Doh!

When I was recently graduated, unemployed, and desperate, I saw a listing in the job pages of Craigslist calling for knitters.  I checked it out and thought, hey! I could knit for money!  They wanted knitters to make things for them to sell in their store. The thing is, they would provide the yarn, but the compensation was something like $15 per item.  $15 measly dollars!  And it wouldn't matter if it was a scarf or a sweater.  $15!  I actually called about it (did I mention DESPERATE?) but they didn't answer or return my call.

Makes me wonder what happened...  They didn't say what the store name was, so I couldn't even check it out.  Still, that's rediculous!  They were advertising a job that paid below minimum wage?  uh huh
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If it lives in the water or flies in the air, I'm in love with it. In New Zealand I saw a flying fish and almost wet myself.

Blog!
Etsy!
Wists!
Mikaiyawa

Some things must be believed to be seen. -Einstien

View Profile WWW
« Reply #742 on: July 02, 2007 05:36:28 AM »

Strange as it sounds piece work routinely is below minimum wage unless you have some serious speed (or know time compression tricks) or are shorting quality.

I don't much like most knit/sew for hire jobs.. poor materials result is poor products and half the time they would pay for the work citing "shoddy" results... After one round of that I refused to try again even though my grandmother thought it was a wonderful idea...

Mieka
« Last Edit: July 02, 2007 05:36:50 AM by Mikaiyawa » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Education is a progressive discovery of our own ignorance. - Will Durant
xx_Kellybean
« Reply #743 on: July 02, 2007 05:42:00 AM »

i don't think that job would be quite that bad. I mean, if it was a sidejob and not a job you had to be hardcore dependant on. Think of how many items you could knit (if you did it with ALL of your spare time).. It could get you quite a bit of money, especially if you didn't have to buy the yarn itself.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

fishie
she of the sea

View Profile WWW
« Reply #744 on: July 02, 2007 07:15:12 AM »

i don't think that job would be quite that bad. I mean, if it was a sidejob and not a job you had to be hardcore dependant on. Think of how many items you could knit (if you did it with ALL of your spare time).. It could get you quite a bit of money, especially if you didn't have to buy the yarn itself.

True, which is why I even considered it in the first place.  But I knew the place would be selling the knit items for at LEAST twice that, depending on the item.  Just seems a little iffy to me, especially since I know I wouldn't have received ANY credit for my work besides the $15
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If it lives in the water or flies in the air, I'm in love with it. In New Zealand I saw a flying fish and almost wet myself.

Blog!
Etsy!
Wists!
red_phooka
Geek

I <3 Zombies!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #745 on: July 02, 2007 08:06:16 AM »

When I worked at my LYS, we would have knitters do up the display stuff for us. We had some iffy little formula to figure out what they got paid - it was something times the yardage divided by something blah blah blah. It was a little more fair I guess, because you would get paid more if you did a double knit sweater that if you were to knit a chunky sweater. Still it was ridiculously low. We had one knitter though, who could do a sweater in like two days. She was some kinda speed demon. Usually they would get paid around 20 dollars for a worsted weight sweater. They were older ladies with no other job, and did it more because they liked to knit and had no one to knit for.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Deirdre
« Reply #746 on: July 03, 2007 07:42:47 PM »

But just a few weeks ago the weirdest thing happened.  I was stopped by a guy asking for money . . .  I'll pay you for it of course, he says, and proffered his mobile phone number so I could let him know when it was done.   Huh  WTF!?  I really had no idea what on earth to say, my standard replies weren't going to cut it here as the whole situation was so illogicall. 

This is the most funny, hysterical story I've heard in a long time.  I wish I could hit This Rocks.  I think I will anyway.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Miss_Vicki

"Oh my stars and garters!"

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #747 on: July 03, 2007 08:33:00 PM »

The same strange man stopped one of my S'n'B compadres again last night.  Again outside the train and again he requested $4.  I was lucky enough not to have seen him this week.  That is until a few hours later when we spotted him wandering around in the cafe where we have our stitchin' and our bitchin'  Shocked.  I don't think he follwed any of us or anything, but it will be annoying if we can't get away from him.  The best part though, is that he saw us all crafting and did not ask us to knit him anything.  Looks like he may have come to understand it is not gonna happen, and so perhaps the important battle has been won.   Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I heart Hank McCoy

http://www.wists.com/Miss_Vicki                     http://missvicki.wordpress.com/
anakarina
(*

dear skull , art thou shiny?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #748 on: July 03, 2007 09:17:28 PM »

The same strange man stopped one of my S'n'B compadres again last night.  Again outside the train and again he requested $4.  I was lucky enough not to have seen him this week.  That is until a few hours later when we spotted him wandering around in the cafe where we have our stitchin' and our bitchin'  Shocked.  I don't think he follwed any of us or anything, but it will be annoying if we can't get away from him.  The best part though, is that he saw us all crafting and did not ask us to knit him anything.  Looks like he may have come to understand it is not gonna happen, and so perhaps the important battle has been won.   Cheesy

WOW. I thought, maybe it was possible he needed $4 that day to buy something specific, just that one time - since you say he offered to pay for a knit item.

but apparently he's just crazy!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Etsy shop! Little knits, ACEOS, & paper goods.

WIST-list
fishie
she of the sea

View Profile WWW
« Reply #749 on: July 03, 2007 11:13:24 PM »

All this $4 stuff keeps reminding me of the time I was waiting at the bus station downtown, and a (homeless?) guy walks up to me and said, "Can I have five bucks?"  But it wasn't a question as much as a demand.  I don't know if I should feel honored.  Apparently I looked like I just had an extra $5 laying around!  Roll Eyes

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Blog!
Etsy!
Wists!
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 73 74 [75] 76 77 ... 88 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Mongolian Lamb
How to Make Balachaung
Asian Spare Ribs with Wasabi Mashed Potatoes Recipe
Tiger Roll Recipe
California Roll Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fairy Garden
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...