A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 305,021
Currently Running With Scissors:
628 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 72 73 [74] 75 76 ... 88
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: how do you let a muggle down nicely when they ask you to knit something?  (Read 115964 times)
Tags for this thread: knit  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

clicksticks
« Reply #730 on: June 27, 2007 07:48:42 AM »

I had this prof once who kept asking when I was planning on knitting him a sweater.  At the end of the semester I presented him with a very tiny (probably would have fit Barbie perfectly) sweater.  He thought it was hilarious and I never heard anything about knitting him sweaters again, even though I had another class with him and see him around quite a bit still.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Studio Marlowe  Knitting patterns, etc.
misplacedhippie
« Reply #731 on: June 27, 2007 02:10:15 PM »

I love that! have to use it sometime!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.wists.com/misplacedhippie

Desperately seeking Beatles Fabric (found at some walmarts).  Will trade/send money/ Send Elvis Fabric (what my walmart has). PM me! Please!
DropKickGrl

NO, I don't know karate.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #732 on: June 27, 2007 06:37:27 PM »

I had this prof once who kept asking when I was planning on knitting him a sweater.  At the end of the semester I presented him with a very tiny (probably would have fit Barbie perfectly) sweater.  He thought it was hilarious and I never heard anything about knitting him sweaters again, even though I had another class with him and see him around quite a bit still.

Oh my goodness!  That is such a cute idea, I should knit some tiny sweaters just so I can have them on hand!  OR, when people ask for knits, I can come back with one a week later, gasping, "Sorry it took so long, I worked as fast as I could!  And I put all of my projects on hold just for you!"
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Miss_Vicki

"Oh my stars and garters!"

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #733 on: June 27, 2007 07:21:30 PM »

I don't usually have much trouble with folks asking me to knit them stuff other than the odd joker who thinks I haven't heard it before.  Roll Eyes  But just a few weeks ago the weirdest thing happened.  I was stopped by a guy asking for money.  Not unusual, well except for the part about him asking for exactly $4, that was slightly odd and he wasn't getting it anyway on my 'poor' day (right before pay day).  I told him I was sure I didn't have that much change but that he could have whatever change I had, it took me ages to find my purse in my giant craft bag.  In this time he was checking out the scarf I was wearing and said he liked it very much.  This was nice I thought, and made me feel better about getting my purse out while standing next to a complete stranger (which I am sad to report has always made me feel nervous, after which always comes a feeling of guilt at having been so cynical about strangers Embarrassed).  So anyhow, what I ended up giving him probably added up to a little less than 2 bucks, at which point he asked me if I would knit him a scarf.   Shocked  I'll pay you for it of course, he says, and proffered his mobile phone number so I could let him know when it was done.   Huh  WTF!?  I really had no idea what on earth to say, my standard replies weren't going to cut it here as the whole situation was so illogicall. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I heart Hank McCoy

http://www.wists.com/Miss_Vicki                     http://missvicki.wordpress.com/
aunt carrot

pom-poms make the heart grow fonder

View Profile WWW
« Reply #734 on: June 28, 2007 06:01:23 AM »

I don't usually have much trouble with folks asking me to knit them stuff other than the odd joker who thinks I haven't heard it before.  Roll Eyes  But just a few weeks ago the weirdest thing happened.  I was stopped by a guy asking for money.  Not unusual, well except for the part about him asking for exactly $4, that was slightly odd and he wasn't getting it anyway on my 'poor' day (right before pay day).  I told him I was sure I didn't have that much change but that he could have whatever change I had, it took me ages to find my purse in my giant craft bag.  In this time he was checking out the scarf I was wearing and said he liked it very much.  This was nice I thought, and made me feel better about getting my purse out while standing next to a complete stranger (which I am sad to report has always made me feel nervous, after which always comes a feeling of guilt at having been so cynical about strangers Embarrassed).  So anyhow, what I ended up giving him probably added up to a little less than 2 bucks, at which point he asked me if I would knit him a scarf.   Shocked  I'll pay you for it of course, he says, and proffered his mobile phone number so I could let him know when it was done.   Huh  WTF!?  I really had no idea what on earth to say, my standard replies weren't going to cut it here as the whole situation was so illogicall. 

...did you take the change back?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I didn't and don't want to be a 'feminine' version or a diluted version or a special version or a subsidiary version or an ancillary version or an adapted version of the heroes I admire. I want to be the heroes themselves." --Joanna Russ.
anakarina
(*

dear skull , art thou shiny?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #735 on: June 28, 2007 04:26:27 PM »

what DID you say miss vicky??

that's so incredibly strange!

you could have said, 'sure that would be 4 dollars!' and then you'd both have a good laugh about it, and while he was laughing you could run the opposite direction
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Etsy shop! Little knits, ACEOS, & paper goods.

WIST-list
Miss_Vicki

« Reply #736 on: June 28, 2007 04:55:16 PM »

No I didn't take the change back.  I was completely flabbergasted, what I said probably didn't make much sense.  I took the number and almost literally ran.  Yeah, I know I shouldn't have taken it, but I was a tad concerned by that stage and it seemed the quickest way outta there.  I made it to my S'n'B in record time that night, not without checking over my shoulder a few times  Embarrassed (that was where I was headed in the first place).  One of the other gals had also been stopped by him on the way there.  I know it was the same guy because she was also asked for precisely four bucks.   Huh
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I heart Hank McCoy

http://www.wists.com/Miss_Vicki                     http://missvicki.wordpress.com/
CrochetNinja
Meow

My ravelry username is CitrusFruits!

View Profile
« Reply #737 on: June 28, 2007 05:53:58 PM »

No I didn't take the change back.  I was completely flabbergasted, what I said probably didn't make much sense.  I took the number and almost literally ran.  Yeah, I know I shouldn't have taken it, but I was a tad concerned by that stage and it seemed the quickest way outta there.  I made it to my S'n'B in record time that night, not without checking over my shoulder a few times  Embarrassed (that was where I was headed in the first place).  One of the other gals had also been stopped by him on the way there.  I know it was the same guy because she was also asked for precisely four bucks.   Huh
Hmm...  Was he creepy-old-man strange, or just weird-guy-on-the-street strange?  Good luck avoiding him.  I hope he isn't a stalker  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wist
My  Ravlery username is Citrus fruits!
"Anywhere is walking distance if you have the time"
-Steven Wright
Miss_Vicki

« Reply #738 on: June 28, 2007 07:05:10 PM »

He wasn't old0-man-strange, but definately stands-too-close type creepy CrochetNinja.  But yeah, that wasn't what bugged me, at first anyway.  I find knitting to be a far to personal and laborious a thing to do it for non-Craftster strangers.  While I do appreciate when folks offer to pay and don't totally despise begging or anything, these two things (along with the added creepiness) don't make a logical combo.  It suggests to me that not all is well...  I took a different way home that night.

What annoys me most about the whole thing is I seem to harbour a smidge of guilt still.  Embarrassed  So silly.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I heart Hank McCoy

CrochetNinja
Meow

My ravelry username is CitrusFruits!

View Profile
« Reply #739 on: June 29, 2007 07:49:16 AM »

There is nothing guilty about not selling a scarf to a complete stranger that just asked you for money.  You're right, all is not well, and if you continue to be guilty...  I'll have to call the goons!   Cheesy  Just kidding, but DON'T BE GUILTY!!!   Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wist
My  Ravlery username is Citrus fruits!
"Anywhere is walking distance if you have the time"
-Steven Wright
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 72 73 [74] 75 76 ... 88 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Martha Stewart Makes Candlesticks with Josh Duhamel
How to Create Monster Salt Crystals
How to Make Homemade Snow Globes
Snow Day Crafts for Kids
Arianna Huffington: Running for Governor
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Thrifty Dog Bed
October 29, 2014 Featured Projects
Craft Challenge #103, Foodie Frenzy 2 Winner

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...