A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 302,591
Currently Running With Scissors:
665 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 88
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: how do you let a muggle down nicely when they ask you to knit something?  (Read 113446 times)
Tags for this thread: knit  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

misplacedhippie
« Reply #500 on: January 29, 2007 02:19:18 PM »

I am not afflicted with this problem - for some reason.  I knit what I want for whom I want.  Anyone mentions what I have made and I offer to teach them how, and show them what I currently am working on.  I like to keep something with dpns in my bag so they decide they don't want to spend that much time on their item and leave me out of it.  

I had an ex that didn't appreciate my knitting, so he never received anything I made.  My new boytoy loves my work, and is currently outfitted with matching Hat, Scarf, Gloves.  None of which was asked for, all of which has been made since Christmas, however I did consult for the style of Glove.  

My mom didn't ask me to make her a scarf, she asked me to show her how to make a scarf, she hates to crochet so maybe she thought she might like knitting (I am away at college but am guessing little to no progress has been made on that scarf).  

However if I am ever faced with this problem, I shall take everyones advice in hand, and show people how much I put into my little ugly mittens, that don't match my messed up cabled hat, or my purple accidentally felted scarf.   Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.wists.com/misplacedhippie

Desperately seeking Beatles Fabric (found at some walmarts).  Will trade/send money/ Send Elvis Fabric (what my walmart has). PM me! Please!
naelany

Duck, Duck....silly goose!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #501 on: January 29, 2007 02:28:12 PM »

I think what this thread signifies, IMHO, is a general malaise in society where some people have forgotten basic manners and don't have the slightest compunction with pushily imposing themselves on others. You have all handled yourselves very well. I don't know how I would react if some random office co-worker came up to me and asked me to knit something for them! Shocked Angry Tongue

I think the whole manners thing definitely is a huge part of it. However, it's also in part due to the fact that most crafts have gone by the wayside as something that is done by most people. "Back in the day", more things were home made. Not as a "look what I can do because I love it", but as a way of life. Nowadays, not many people (comparatively, anyway) know how to make things themselves anymore. There fore, all the knowledge and appreciation that came with home made items, is no longer readily available.
I hope that made sense lol
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"just keep crafting, just keep crafting"

Sorry I've been gone so long. Am trying to get back on the boards. Body's thrown me for a few loops these past months and am still learning to adjust. Thanks for your patience.
knitknitter
« Reply #502 on: January 29, 2007 02:44:23 PM »

I think what this thread signifies, IMHO, is a general malaise in society where some people have forgotten basic manners and don't have the slightest compunction with pushily imposing themselves on others. You have all handled yourselves very well. I don't know how I would react if some random office co-worker came up to me and asked me to knit something for them! Shocked Angry Tongue

I think the whole manners thing definitely is a huge part of it. However, it's also in part due to the fact that most crafts have gone by the wayside as something that is done by most people. "Back in the day", more things were home made. Not as a "look what I can do because I love it", but as a way of life. Nowadays, not many people (comparatively, anyway) know how to make things themselves anymore. There fore, all the knowledge and appreciation that came with home made items, is no longer readily available.
I hope that made sense lol
Yes it does make sense and I agree with you that that is part of the problem. Another part of the problem is that people have no idea of the value of a knitted garment, because if a department store sweater, for instance, is handknit, -- and that is a big IF -- it has probably been made by some poor soul in a developing country would could literally be making pennies an hour.  Sad 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
naelany

Duck, Duck....silly goose!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #503 on: January 29, 2007 02:49:14 PM »

that's where the "knowledge" comes in, too. Though on a different level.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"just keep crafting, just keep crafting"

Sorry I've been gone so long. Am trying to get back on the boards. Body's thrown me for a few loops these past months and am still learning to adjust. Thanks for your patience.
FluffyMonkey
i feel my fate in what i cannot fear

The creative mind plays with what it loves

View Profile
« Reply #504 on: January 29, 2007 05:51:49 PM »

I have kind of a different thing going on. My SIL asked me to knit her a nursing shawl, and I know she'd appreciate it (because she's a knitter, too, just less experienced) and get a ton of use out of it, and she even offered to send me the yarn for it! I'd love to make the shawl for her, but after I told her what sort of yarn to look for and how much, she hasn't talked to me about it again! I was really looking forward to knitting something in a nice fiber that would be used and used...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"There are two kinds of strengths: the strength to lead, and the strength to follow; the strength to control, and the strength to yield. There are two kinds of power: the power to strip another's soul bare, and the power to stand naked."
~Yaldah Tovah

On Ravelry! Look me up; there I'm baela.
Scarlett
« Reply #505 on: January 29, 2007 06:12:13 PM »

Send her to knittinghelp.com.  She should be able to figure it out on her own with that site.
Thanks for this. She is obnoxiously persistent, so maybe this will stop her. I think that she is more concerned with impressing her boyfriend than she is with really learning how to knit. People have no idea how much time and concentration it takes. It is amazing to me how people can try to impose themselves on others.

You could always just give her the worst knitting lesson ever.  Make her learn with thin yarn on tiny needles.  Tell her that she needs to yank the yarn super-tight between every single stitch.  Give her a set of five DPNs and a cable needle to get her started.  I bet she won't ask for lessons again.  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Madeleine09
« Reply #506 on: January 29, 2007 06:24:40 PM »

You could always just give her the worst knitting lesson ever.  Make her learn with thin yarn on tiny needles.  Tell her that she needs to yank the yarn super-tight between every single stitch.  Give her a set of five DPNs and a cable needle to get her started.  I bet she won't ask for lessons again.  Wink

Give her black eyelash yarn and tiny needles. I consider myself an advanced knitter, and I can't make heads or tales of it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Maryam Ovaci

I love you, Interlibrary Loan.

View Profile
« Reply #507 on: January 29, 2007 07:39:48 PM »

Grar. Random people asking me to knit for them hadn't been much of a problem until this year. Suddenly, I've got people in the bus thinking "Gee, could you make me, RandomStranger, one-a-them shawls like you've been working on for three months, only super huger with all these swanky details and no thought of pay much less materials cost?" is small talk. Them at least I can laugh and ignore, like it's a joke, but now I've got a new co-worker who's only seen me working on my Icarus for two weeks and has already started hinting pretty heavy that she'd like a scarf. Add to the mix that she's my immediate supervisor and has already turned down my offers to teach her (it's too hard, she'd never have the patience) and you have one decidedly awkward work environment.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"You bring Athena home five minutes after her curfew and not only does Zeus smite you with a lightning bolt, he transforms into a goose and seduces your mom." - Questionable Content

My own tiny knitblog, soon to include spinning!
http://pandabonzai.blogspot.com/
motleycruiser
Anitsocial Butterfly

View Profile WWW
« Reply #508 on: January 29, 2007 08:02:07 PM »

This is an actual reason which gets me out of a lot of projects I just dont want to do. I tell them I only make small items like hats & scarves because my hands cramp up too much when I work for long periods of time & give them an exagerated timeframe due to having to take breaks.

I had a girl at work I had never met leave a note on my desk asking for a lapgan. I started quoting her minimums on yardage & time & she was fine with it till I told her I needed 1/2 as a deposit for supplies...never heard another word.

I'm nice but I refuse to do large projects for non-loved ones. I think the people I work with appreciate how long it takes more because they see me on a daily basis working on the same thing for long periods of time.

FYI.......I do make scarves & its a great stash buster for the yarns I dont use anymore
THIS ROCKS   Logged

knitknitter
« Reply #509 on: January 29, 2007 11:56:55 PM »

I had a girl at work I had never met leave a note on my desk asking for a lapgan.

Amazing! The mind boggles! Good on you for getting out of that one!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 88 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Do Eye Nails Design
Birchbox June 2014 Unboxing: OMG With RJS
Banish Summer Beauty Bummers
Beat the Heat Beauty Buys
5 Beauty Secrets Hiding in Your Kitchen
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...