A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 300,906
Currently Running With Scissors:
548 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 79 80 [81] 82 83 ... 88
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: how do you let a muggle down nicely when they ask you to knit something?  (Read 116786 times)
Tags for this thread: knit  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

lamantin
Procraftinator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #800 on: September 16, 2007 10:11:46 AM »

I've been reading through this thread slowly and got nervous about a hat I knitted for a friend - but he complimented it, and has worn it several times since he got it.

I also made sure to ask my friend if I thanked her sufficiently for a shawl she made me for some weddings last summer. (I did, it seems. And I paid for the yarn, too. It was truly gorgeous.)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Hulk angry! Hulk STASH! /  http://procraftinator.wordpress.com
talmina
« Reply #801 on: November 10, 2007 03:18:58 PM »

Reading this again, I'm so glad the majority of my requests have stopped.  The first time I started knitting at work, everyone was like "I don't have enough patience for knitting" and thought it was awesome that I was making a lace shawl for my SIL to use while she was breasfreeding, and out of sticky acrylic yarn too cos she wanted it to be machine washable and it was the only machine washable yarn I could find.  Not that I've ever seen her wear it... But my family generally see how much time I put into a project, and the only other things they have commissioned me to make them I have seen worn numerous times.

When my friends ask me I offer to teach them instead, it's much more fun to watch guys get all clumsy with the needles and ask stupid questions like "shoud I be knitting or purling here?" when it's in bulky yarn and I've just told them 15 times how to tell.  Funnier still when you see a complete bogan trying to knit with hot pink yarn (he decided he was gonna try a scarf for my niece) and he is knitting from the elbows if you know what I mean. 

Generally the only people I knit gifts for are my really good friends or boyfriends, and even those only the ones I KNOW will appreciate it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
knitter-allatwitter
« Reply #802 on: November 30, 2007 09:34:20 AM »

People really have not a clue when it comes to knitting things. When they think of yarn they think of that arcylic yarn grannies use.  The stuff that cost like 2 bucks for a giant skien. Without realizing that decent yarn cost decent money. I would just flat tell them you find that pattern and yarn you want then buy it. They wont believe what it will cost.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
knitter-allatwitter
« Reply #803 on: November 30, 2007 09:37:42 AM »

Heres what you do. People really have no clue the cost that can go into a knitted project. Tell them you would gladly do it if they provide that supplies. Go with them even.  Once they realize the cost....well they might not want to spend that much money on clothing a dog.  Then if that doesnt work.. the whole time you work on the project go into intense detail about the knitting... hopefully they will be so bored they will never ask you to knit for them again.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #804 on: November 30, 2007 09:47:56 AM »

Offer to go with them when they buy the yarn and their first set of needles.  Offer to sit with them and teach them. Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ibunnysavetroy
« Reply #805 on: December 01, 2007 08:17:32 AM »

my english teacher admired my socks and mentioned she would commision me to make some for her! she even wasn't set off by the cost! (I told her twenty dollars, but I think it'll be around 14...)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kimbobo-ala-creme
~ Crochet Enthusiast ~

Live every day as if it were your last day.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #806 on: December 02, 2007 10:27:20 AM »

xD I've been through that a few times, sometimes by more than one person for a few of the projects I've knitted/crochetted. (I do a bit of both.. self-taught)

Usually, the first thing that comes out of my mouth is "Okay, I charge about 6 bucks an hour, plus yarn which is normally about 4 bucks a skein, and to make this, I'd need this many skeins of yarn..." You get the picture... And as soon as I get it all totalled up in my head, they are already gone away, saying that I charge too much. It's usually the price of yarn that kills them... And what makes it funnier is I normally use yarn that's about $2 to $3...

And if that doesn't work, then you could tell them that they'll be on the wait list, and (be sure you already have a LONG list of random names with commission descriptions, etc etc) that if they don't mind waiting for it. Sometimes, they'll be intimidated by the list of names....

Also, there's the "I'm too busy with commissions already. I should be ready to take commissions next December." or something like that.

And there's the shortest response. "No."
THIS ROCKS   Logged

megiwegs
« Reply #807 on: January 03, 2008 07:05:13 PM »

i get asked mostly after someone sees something i made and they want one of their own.  but by that time i'm so fed up with whatever i just completed that i don't even want to think about making it again.  so i just decline all offers and only knit for others as gifts...from experience i find that a gift is usually more cherished than someone asking for or commissioning something.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Dulcinea
If you haven't grown up by the time you're 30, you don't have to!

faciō, ergo sum

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #808 on: January 04, 2008 10:07:19 AM »

i seem to get asked a lot, lately, how much it would cost for me to make [insert item] - and i always start by telling them how much the materials were.... that usually ends it right there.

shrug - wool was $60
shawl - handpainted wool was $32

and i always offer to teach them how to make it themselves if they really want it.

so far, it gets me off the hook every time.....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Veni, Vidi, Velcro
I came, I saw, I stuck around

Taking a break from swaps to get some stuff under control.  Email if you need me.

Wists | Blog | Ravelry
girlwithsixarms
Epic Flail!

Endurance Knitter

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #809 on: June 02, 2008 02:29:42 AM »

I worked at a summer camp anda lot of my kids asked me to knit them stuff (being able to knit while the kids were otherwise occupied was one of the few perks that job had to offer) and I would always tell them to bring in their own yarn before X day of the week and I would. Only one kid ever took me up on it and he was so excited about the entire thing that it ended up being totally worth it.

Other than that, I really will only knit on demand for people very close to me and who will really appreciate it - I'm talking family members who will drop 80 bucks for an alpaca scarf or my ex boyfriend (I know, right?) who would request scarves and happily cough up for decent yarn or my current boyfriend whom I totally adore. Because even though I fly through the stockinette knit as a tube scarves that most people request I do still get tendonitis flare-ups which I will honestly use as an excuse because hey, if my hands are gonna fall off it better be for someone who will take care of my sorry butt.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

There's probably something deeply wrong about using superglue in bed, but I don't care 'cause I'm a rebel.

Blog? What Blog?
Shoppin' the Swap
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 79 80 [81] 82 83 ... 88 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Nail the Half Moon Manicure
Chipped Nail? Fix It Without Breaking a Sweat
How to Shape Your Nails Like a Pro
A DIY Guide to Healthy, Happy Cuticles
How to Buff Your Nails to a Perfect Shine Every Time
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag
Tute Tuesday: Honkin' Big Beach Ball Snowman

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...