A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 296,710
Currently Running With Scissors:
627 Guests and 27 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 78 79 [80] 81 82 ... 88
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: how do you let a muggle down nicely when they ask you to knit something?  (Read 113606 times)
Tags for this thread: knit  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

CrafterInIL
« Reply #790 on: August 15, 2007 12:53:59 PM »

I love this thread.  I knit the sweater Sahara and wore it one day.  My SIL commented on it and when I said I knit it, she said that I could knit her one - AND she'd pay me.  I told her that the time it took wouldn't make it worth it to me, but I'd be happy to teach her to knit so she can make it herself.  She replied that she's just too busy.  Screw you -- I should spend my free time knitting you a damn sweater?  This past weekend she came over and saw a pair of booties and hat that someone had commissioned me to knit.  She asked what they paid, and when I told her $50 (yarn alone cost almost $30) she said she'd never pay that much. 

After those two comments (and my mom telling me that she shrunk the 2 pairs of socks I had knit for her), I have decided that I'm not crafting the whole family something for the holidays like I had planned.  The past 2 years I had crafted something for everyone even though we only exchanged gifts through a grab bag on DH's side (so I was the only one actually giving a gift to everyone, in addition to the grab bag gift).  I'll buy the damn gift card that is requested and be done with it -- I'm sick of putting so much thought and time into crafting for everyone when the time isn't appreciated.  More knits for myself.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Interested in personal swaps!
My WIST: http://wists.com/PugMama3
kmsmaverick
« Reply #791 on: August 15, 2007 01:13:35 PM »

i finally got the nerve told my most persistent requester that i craft for me; not them. while some others go for a hike, or to the mall, or to the movies, i craft. it's no different than any of us telling people, i don't have time to go to your lame partylight candle party- i have a sweater i would rather finish.

i'm the same as you, i'm not going to spend my time working on something that ends up not being fun to make. that is just work.  I finally got the point across that if you are too busy to learn, then i am too busy to do it for you.  My friend at the pharmacy is taking me up on some lessons at my house, so the next bit of heartburn i'll give myself is anticipating the "can i borrow your sewing machine?"

you are better off going with the gift cards. we all cringe at the idea of such a nondescript gift, but in the end think of the sweater you'll have for yourself!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

red_phooka
Geek

I <3 Zombies!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #792 on: August 16, 2007 04:42:04 PM »

There are some real horror stories out there, that's fer sure.
I'll be attempting my very first entirely hand-made Christmas this year. I have always knit small things for choice individuals in the past, but I have decided that this Christmas will be entirely made by myself (not neccesarily all knitting, but I am expecting that most of it will be! I have started already - and will only be knitting for those in my family who I know will appreciate the time and effort.
My little brother and sister (whom are 9 and seven, respectively) are actually two of my biggest fans when it comes to my knit stuff. He never asks for anything, and has only recently admitted that he would like a knit sweater - though sheepishly. He blushed and said "well, only if you've got the time - I know they are a lot of work". I nearly dropped over. He'll make a good husband one day Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Annchen
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Yarrrn...

Yarn keeps me sane(ish)

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #793 on: August 17, 2007 03:53:22 AM »

I got lots of lovely knitting stuff this Christmas. My future parents in law had made a cute basket to hold my things, complete with matching needle roll. My father in law gave me dpns, sock yarn and other useful stuff like row counters and a needle measuring-thing. He then gave me a not so subtle hint that he'd love a pair of socks next Christmas...

I don't really mind since I like knitting socks and he gave me all the material. I started knitting them this summer when I visited them (to be able to make sure they fit). I've only got the toe of the last sock left to knit so he'll get them on his birthday instead.

I'm more annoyed about the pair of socks my boyfriend wants. Huge feet and he wants long legs on the socks. I *hate* knitting legs for some reason and it'll take some thinking to make them fit... He's bought the yarn and he knows that I'll make them when I feel like it. It might just take another year...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mixymo

Craftsters + HP Fandom = Best people in the world!

« Reply #794 on: August 17, 2007 05:47:29 AM »

red_phooka, your little brother sounds adorable!

I really only get asked by close friends to make things for them. I usually say, "Do you seriously want me to make you one?" And if they're serious, then I'll tell them general prices and what I'll have to buy and time, etc. Then they usually forget or don't want it anymore. And if I'm tired or in a bad mood, I just say "Pfft, I'm not making you a whole one." That shuts them up. And probably confuses them too.

Meanwhile, my bf has asked me to make him felt/fabric WoW dolls he saw online somewhere. Going by previous things I've made for him - Super Nintendo paper tank: ripped and half missing, probably eaten by dog, rest crushed. Pirates of the Caribbean medallion: sitting under pile of crap on his desk. Crochet cushion: somewhere under the bed, probably being slept on by the dog - I'm just ignoring his request. He knows I'm too busy with course work and my own ventures, anyway. And i really don't see what he would do with it. He's not really the type to have pretty trinkets for the sake of looking.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wists

The Sketchbook Project 2012: Across the World
BlooCanoe

Pit knitters unite!

View Profile
« Reply #795 on: August 17, 2007 06:47:31 AM »

My little brother and sister (whom are 9 and seven, respectively) are actually two of my biggest fans when it comes to my knit stuff. He never asks for anything, and has only recently admitted that he would like a knit sweater - though sheepishly. He blushed and said "well, only if you've got the time - I know they are a lot of work". I nearly dropped over. He'll make a good husband one day Tongue

that is the cutest! you have trained them well.   Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Have you hugged your mod today? Smiley

"What I need.... is some wool." (Miss Marple)
Eliea
Tutorial Contributor

Proverbs 31:13 "She seeketh wool, and flax, and worketh willingly with her hands."

« Reply #796 on: August 17, 2007 07:59:58 PM »

There are some real horror stories out there, that's fer sure.
I'll be attempting my very first entirely hand-made Christmas this year. I have always knit small things for choice individuals in the past, but I have decided that this Christmas will be entirely made by myself (not neccesarily all knitting, but I am expecting that most of it will be! I have started already - and will only be knitting for those in my family who I know will appreciate the time and effort.
I did this last year and plan to do it this year. Which reminds me I need to get started soon! I found most of my family really liked their presents. Even my SIL who hates me and my father who dislikes all things handmade! If you have a family member who is really picky or something then I"d say go with a gift card unless you see something that is really them . For kids get some of those Knifty knitters or some fun knitting needles and print up instructions online for basic stitches and buy some fun colorful yarn. Every year we've gotten my cousins some sort of craft stuff they loved it! I was really scared but my Christmas was great and so much more meaningful. Hubby helped custom wrap each thing and it was great.
Oh include washing directions though! Specifically if it's for kids!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
caledonia_mission
« Reply #797 on: August 17, 2007 09:27:11 PM »

hahah!  I was at a baby shower last February and I knit an apple hat.  The mom kind of giggled that I made a separate card for washing instructions and then her best friend (my boyfriend's best friend's wife - still clear on who's who?) said "wait rachel did you make that!!!!!!!! holy shit!!!!!!!!!!"  etc etc.  I think I turned bright red, and about a month later my boyfriend told me that the mom couldn't wait for her baby to grow into the hat.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The dog is barking out back; he thinks he's in the band.

http://calamity-rach.blogspot.com
sirensrising
« Reply #798 on: August 18, 2007 03:02:31 AM »

hahah!  I was at a baby shower last February and I knit an apple hat.  The mom kind of giggled that I made a separate card for washing instructions and then her best friend (my boyfriend's best friend's wife - still clear on who's who?) said "wait rachel did you make that!!!!!!!! holy shit!!!!!!!!!!"  etc etc.  I think I turned bright red, and about a month later my boyfriend told me that the mom couldn't wait for her baby to grow into the hat.  Smiley
If I were her I'd still be waiting for ME to shrink into it. An apple hat, dayum!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wists beyond measure are man's greatest treasure... Wink
Come check out my art and craft blog and say hello! LAST UPDATED: 7th September!
My artwork at Etsy!
Eliea
Tutorial Contributor

Proverbs 31:13 "She seeketh wool, and flax, and worketh willingly with her hands."

« Reply #799 on: August 18, 2007 10:12:59 AM »

lol!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 78 79 [80] 81 82 ... 88 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Use 2 Keys to Key Footage - Shake 4
How to Understand Stroke Dynamics - Motion 3
How to Use Motion and Shake - Motion 3
How to Use 4 Point Tracking - Motion 3
How to Create Basic Replicators - Motion 3
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...