A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,042
Currently Running With Scissors:
508 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 75 76 [77] 78 79 ... 88
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: how do you let a muggle down nicely when they ask you to knit something?  (Read 112456 times)
Tags for this thread: knit  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

KnitsyBitsy
« Reply #760 on: July 09, 2007 10:41:56 AM »

I've been following this thread for a long time, and I finally have an experience to add.

This weekend I went to a bachelorette party and wore a top that I made and am extremely proud of (a knit/crochet top in fairly small gauge).  One of the ladies I hadn't met before commented on how much she liked it, and I thanked her and humbly mentioned that I made it myself.  She responded, "no way!  I love it!  Would you make one for me?  I'll pay you!"  Thanks to this thread, I smiled apologetically and told her I was very flattered but it took me so long to make that I couldn't possibly make one for a reasonable price.  She replied that she understood and had no idea how long it took to make handmade things.

I think that's the problem with many (though not all) of the people who ask us to knit things for them: they simply don't realize how much effort it takes, and for everyone who falls into that category I think my response would suffice.  But it seems a lot of people in this thread run into people with a distinctly different problem: lack of manners.  They're always much harder to deal with without stooping to their level of poor manners.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cheesbro
« Reply #761 on: July 09, 2007 11:04:01 PM »

Sometimes it does work when you offer to teach them to knit, and it is really fun.  I taught my sister how to make a garter stitch scarf on a long road trip recently, and now she is becoming a knitting fool!

Although, I cannot advise teaching someone how to cast on while you are driving!  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
nat12
« Reply #762 on: July 10, 2007 05:45:11 PM »

Man if that's one thing muggles hate is buying their own damn yarn!
Yech, I have a muggle that loves to buy yarn (for me to knit things for her with!) Its ALWAYS, without fail, hideously coloured eyelash or funfur crud that she knows I hate to knit with!

Oh well, she is very appreciative of the effort, and gets me other stuff to make up for the yucky yarn! Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
redwitch
« Reply #763 on: July 11, 2007 06:44:46 AM »

For every ball of novelty plastic... she owes you a ball of cashmerino/Rowan/laceweight. Won't last long...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
wootwoot

Strange things are afoot at the Circle K...

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #764 on: July 12, 2007 12:29:51 AM »

I am finally through all 77 pages!  It's taken weeks, but now I can finally share my own story:

I have a friend at work who I somehow agreed (like 18 months ago) to knit a Green Bay Packers beanie for.  I don't remember how it happened, but it did.  He brought it up constantly until about 6 months ago when we got in a book at work (a bookstore) about carving fish from wood and he started mouthing off about how he was going to learn to carve fish.  So I trapped him and now he is carving me a fish in exchange for the hat.  I know there is no way that he is ever going to get around to carving me a fish, especially as I picked out one of the harder ones in the book and specified that it had to be well done.  I don't think he even owns a single carving tool.  We did pick out July 15th as the exchange day, but I haven't heard a word.  If he shows up on Sunday with a carved fish I'll probably fall over dead from the shock.  I may still knit the hat at some point if I feel like a little intarsia project, but it's going to be when I feel like it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

fishie
she of the sea

perfecting neuroticism since 1984

View Profile WWW
« Reply #765 on: July 12, 2007 11:33:46 AM »

The carved fish exchange is a good idea!  I think I saw that book, too.  It got me tempted to learn wood carving, but my brain won't work in 3-d so I guess I'll stick with knitting.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If it lives in the water or flies in the air, I'm in love with it. In New Zealand I saw a flying fish and almost wet myself.

Blog!
Etsy!
Wists!
Legerdemain

knitting is dreamy....

View Profile
« Reply #766 on: July 18, 2007 02:44:58 PM »

I've been reading this thread because it's pretty amusing, really.  And now I finally have something to add to it!

I was riding along on the bus yesterday morning to work (it was raining.  Seriously raining.  Like Build-an-Ark-'cause-the-end-is-nigh raining)  So I'm sort of peevy to start with.  And this older fellow decides to sit beside me.

Right beside me.  When there are many many MANY more seats, and unoccupied ones, at that.  I lament that absence of my bus side-kick, my IPOD, and my ability to pretend deaf while "listening" to it.

And he looks over at my knitting (Breeze, from Knitty, with Paton's Grace in yellow)--

Him:  Whatcha knittin'?  A sweater?
Me: (Sweater?  Seriously?  Did the DPNs and tiny cylindrical tube not tip you off?  Or the presence of a heel?)  No, I'm knitting a pair of socks.
Him:  I LOVE knitted socks.  There's this old lady in (insert neighbourhood name) who knits me socks every year. *Look of excitement*  Heck, I'm wearing a pair NOW!!

And he proceeds to heft his bulk against me while vigorously drawing up his own leg by the cuff of his pants.  He shows me his knitted man socks.

Him:  These are GREAT!  And she orders in special yarn from England for them.
Me:  Hm.
Him:  I should get your name and number....
I pay her for them.  I give her $15.

This gets my attention.

Me:  $15?  That wouldn't even cover the cost of the yarn!
Him:  (defensive) Sometimes I give her $20! 
Me:  (No response)
Him:  (Looks away awkwardly)

Honestly?  I mean I understand the lady selling them for that if she's getting pleasure from knitting them etc, but to expect some random person to knit more socks for you?  At that rate?  Do I look like a one person sock sweat shop?
« Last Edit: July 18, 2007 02:46:05 PM by Legerdemain » THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Swap Shop14!

Wist

Ravelry ID: Legerdemain
WIPs

The WIPs Phenomenon

View Profile
« Reply #767 on: July 18, 2007 03:11:47 PM »

Cheesy I found your situation hilarious!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

100 Themes ATC: 1/100 Grin
ax174
« Reply #768 on: July 18, 2007 04:00:57 PM »

I picked out one of the harder ones in the book and specified that it had to be well done. 

That is the best part of the story,because when people ask you to knit things, they're so picky about what they want.  If you do relent/cave and actually make something, if it doesn't match exactly what they expected, boy, do they let you know!  Way to go, wootwoot!
« Last Edit: July 18, 2007 04:01:47 PM by ax174 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

CrochetNinja
Meow

My ravelry username is CitrusFruits!

View Profile
« Reply #769 on: July 18, 2007 04:08:18 PM »

I picked out one of the harder ones in the book and specified that it had to be well done. 

That is the best part of the story,because when people ask you to knit things, they're so picky about what they want.  If you do relent/cave and actually make something, if it doesn't match exactly what they expected, boy, do they let you know!
Muggles can be very picky about crafts in general.  I didn't crochet someone a teddy bear in one week (she had a slumber party thing where she had to bring her favorite stuffed toy on friday).  I could've done that, but not for her.  She got all mad but in a "joking" way (joking from her view, not mine). 

And I wouldn't knit socks for someone for 20 dollars (even if I added the cost of yarn).  Did he eventually leave, or just stay there until it was his stop?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wist
My  Ravlery username is Citrus fruits!
"Anywhere is walking distance if you have the time"
-Steven Wright
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 75 76 [77] 78 79 ... 88 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Crochet Leaves Part 4/6
How to Crochet Little Mary Jane Booties Part 10/19
How to Crochet Little Mary Jane Booties Part 1/19
How to Crochet Little Mary Jane Booties Part 12/19
How to Crochet Leaves Part 6/6
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Wooden Chain
Here Kitty, Kitty!
Meatless Monday: Vegan, Raw, Gluten Free Chocolate Bars

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...