A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 300,924
Currently Running With Scissors:
424 Guests and 3 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 88
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: how do you let a muggle down nicely when they ask you to knit something?  (Read 116808 times)
Tags for this thread: knit  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Sewer Rat
Fabric will be my downfall!

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2005 06:09:03 AM »

I would never knit or sew for anyone who asked me to.  Those are the folks who have no idea how much work it is.  I tell them I charge $500 for sewing a shirt, I choose the fabric and no alterations or whining. Heck, I'd be giving up a good chunk of my precious weekend, so I'd better be compensated fairly.  Surprisingly no one has ever taken me up on it!   Roll Eyes
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Organ donation rocks!  Recycle, reuse!
staralee
l'etoile

mmmm...koolaid yarn...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2005 06:23:50 AM »

My mom always hounded me about knitting her a sweater so when we finally went to the yarn shop together she was not only shocked by the price, but also at all the comments the yarn shop ladies had. "wow, what a great daughter" "this is such a HUGE gift, honey" and the like. I knit it only around my mom so she could see the hours that went into it, and when it was finished, she couldn't be happier.
 One of my closest friends had wanted a cabley sweater jacket, which I knew would be a HUGE commitment, but when I realized she was willing to pay over $100 for the yarn,  because she'd rather where something I made then buy it for cheaper-it's totally worth it! I know that with this one huge gift, I have Christmases and birthdays covered for the year (she's agreed to this too)
It's so nice when someone appreciates your hard work and skill...it's made me stop knitting for people who wouldn't care or don't lavish me with praises. If you save your gift knitting time for those who really love you and your work, you'll always feel fulfilled.
PS. I do actually sell knitted stuff...but I pick the yarn and pattern and make it a 'luxury' item...ithey buy what I've already made....plenty of older women that work with my husband at the bank are willing to pay $40-$50 for a long, soft scarf. (!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Jazzybelle
« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2005 06:32:22 AM »

Oh, no. What bothers me most about people like this are the people who say "You know, the holidays are just around the corner." Um, excuse me? Just because I know you means I'm expected to spend countless hours so you can have something you'll throw in the back of your closet and dig out when I'm around? No thanks.

Then again, I feel really bad when I don't get them *anything* for Christmas. So this year, I'm going to make them amigurumi animals and maybe earrings.

The thing about making people garter stitch scarves is that I have this obsession for really big, really long scarves, so they come out to over six feet and most are at least a foot wide (if I make them big, I make them scary-big). Even on size thirteen needles, which is what I use most often, a scarf takes me a really long time, maybe 12 or 15 hours total.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

***I love personal swaps!***
bronxie
I like yarn! Yarn, Yarn, yarn

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2005 06:51:03 AM »

That's the reason I posted here.  I read about your situation on your blog, then got all riled up about the dog sweater and wanted to know what others knitters thought.  I'm pleasantly surprised that there are so many responses!  I like reading the stories - they really help me feel like I'm not the only one who suffers (i.e. you say yes, then hate yourself and the person who asked, and complain a lot; or, say no, then feel like the bad guy).

LOL yeah, that's why after xmas, I'm going to be selfish and only knit for myself. I always offer to teach them how to knit. That keeps them from asking ever again.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Sweet Roll
« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2005 07:10:35 AM »

I always tell them that I just knit for enjoyment. I only do it for myself, or my family & friends. That's it. I'm not interested in knitting for money. Personally, that takes the fun out of it for me.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
BlooCanoe

Pit knitters unite!

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2005 07:21:01 AM »

It was really fun to read all the stories on this thread! I'm sure most knitters/crafters can relate to this situation.  I do a lot of these things too. When someone asks "Can you make me a knitted whatever?", I say, "No, but I'd be happy to teach you how to do it yourself."  No one has asked for lessons yet.. Smiley  Although I would totally teach anyone that took me up on the offer.

I do love making things for my family and friends though, because I'm happy to spend the time to make something special for my special people.   Having said that, there are also family members I just won't knit for, because I know they woudln't take good care of it (have witnessed too many sweaters being felted by family members who will remain nameless). 

I think that maybe this is one of the reasons why the craftster swaps are so popular. You  know that the recipient will appreciate the time and effort that you put into the item, since they are a craftster too!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Have you hugged your mod today? Smiley

"What I need.... is some wool." (Miss Marple)
fluffyhelen

<3 etsy&craftster

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2005 07:22:35 AM »

I've had nothing but bad experiences so far with this sort of thing.

I knitted myself a really long scarf as my *first* project ever and one of my friends saw it.  She asked me to knit her one and gave me 10 to cover the cost of the wool.

So I knitted the scarf, it took me AGES and I said "you can give me a donation when I've finished it to account for the time I've put in" before I started it.  She told me she'd paint me a picture (she's doing an art degree) so I was like, OK fair dos.

I finished the scarf.  I handed it over.  "Oh thanks a lot!" was all I got.  The wool cost me more than the 10 she had given and this is not even accounting the hours I spent knitting the damn thing.  I cannot say how trodden on I felt at that point, it was a horrible feeling to not have any acknowledgement of the time (and money) put into making something which somebody else thinks you can whip up in 5 minutes.

I just had another bad experience last night.  In May I knitted a scarf (my 3rd scarf) for a friend.  I was working night time welfare (during the night help for insomniacs and the suchlike) last night and we have a box which contains "vomit rags" as in, stuff you grab when somebody is going to hurl across the office.  My scarf was sitting in there.  Sad

It's not like it was particularly awful either!  I just felt sick to my stomach when I saw it in there.  A complete and utter slap in the face to the hard work I'd put into it.  One of my other friends was like "I want it!  I need a scarf!" so she's getting it!  I rescued it from it's terrible fate last night.  Harumph, some people.   Angry

So now basically when somebody asks for something (daily occurence) I just say - come with me to the wool shop, we'll choose the wool and then you pay for it on the spot.  I warn them that then when it's finished I won't hand it over without a donation towards the work I've put in!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
PrincessJazz
« Reply #27 on: November 04, 2005 01:07:10 PM »

Wow, I  guess I'm the opposite of most people.  I LOVE knitting for other people.  I'd say that probably more than half of my knitting time is spent on other people.  Not even just close people.  I'll knit for basically anyone.  Coworkers, acquantances, friends, family, whoever.  Always small things, like scarves, hats, mittens, etc.   If they try to pay me I explain that it ruins the joy of knitting.  If they pay me, or even buy the yarn, then it's like a job and I feel like I have a deadline.  If I get to do it on my own terms I love doing it. 

Just my 2 cents.

Jazz
THIS ROCKS   Logged
liquorice
« Reply #28 on: November 04, 2005 01:21:45 PM »

Like some others have said, when someone asks me to knit something for them, I always tell them to go buy the yarn. Out of the probably hundred times I've said this, only once has someone actually bought the yarn. She got a pattern, and asked me to write down specifically what type of yarn and how many balls she would need(she was afraid she would fuck it up) When she brought it all to me, she handed me an extra bag of yarn. She said she was looking around in the yarn store and she felt this and had to buy some for me as a thank you since I was knitting something for her. I looked in the bag and there were 2 hanks of Cherry Tree Hill Supersock  Shocked. I knew there was a reason she is my favorite cousin...lol

That's so sweet!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

You do it to yourself, you do, and that's why it really hurts.
You do it to yourself, just you, you and no one else.

Radiohead
wokeupafraud
it's always you in my big dreams

andrew mcmahonnnnn <3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: November 04, 2005 01:32:05 PM »

the only person (of the 527524 who have asked me) that I'm willing to actully knit for is my little brother he wants a yoda stuffy and a blanket.

1) it's impossible to say no to a four year old
2) he has a machine knitted afgan that he has cuddled to death so I know it'll be very appreciated
THIS ROCKS   Logged

so I guess we're back to us, oh cameraman
swing the focus. In case I lost my train of
thought, where was it that we last left off?
let's pick up, pick up

http://home.promosquad.com/referal.shtml?referer=_heartacheontv&band=62
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 88 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Halloween Treat Toppers
Pumpkin Spice Madeleine Recipe
Paula Deen’s Caramel Apple Cupcakes
How to Make Savory Caramel Apples
How to Make No-Fuss Pastry Cream
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...