A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 302,348
Currently Running With Scissors:
682 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 88
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: how do you let a muggle down nicely when they ask you to knit something?  (Read 120178 times)
Tags for this thread: knit  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

killerdaisy
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2005 04:23:35 PM »

I too just tell them straight out.

I get asked pretty often (once every couple weeks) & I just say "Well, its alot of time & effort & so I really only knit for myself." I don't think there's a need to lie about it or go with the guise that you'll do it & then complain (even jokingly) about what you're "having" to do.
Of course, I knit for my immediate family and one best friend, but the general public needn't know that. And really, that is knitting for myself because I get so much pleasure out of giving them handmade things.
But to give them away to the public is not something in which I'm interested. Even if they offer to pay, they're never (ok rarely) willing to pay what I feel my time is worth, so I feel it is *giving* away my very valuable time & energy.

I always offer to teach them for free though. If they really want the garment, they'll either pay the price or learn the skill themselves. If they're not that interested, then they're not interested in knowing the value of my time & then they can buy a Gap scarf like everyone else.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mayerlove
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2005 06:38:50 PM »

i have this problem. and the people who ask me are the ones who find the faults on my items. "can you make me one? and when you do, could you fix that part of the sleeve?" "and when you do..." grrrr
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~I believe that my life's gonna see the love I give returned to me!<3 XOXO Johnnay!
lupinbunny

the bunny with the loops

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2005 07:44:59 PM »

i *know* i'll never get round to it, yet whenever i'm put on the spot, bam! out of my mouth comes "oh, okay. when i've finished what i'm working on." Then I feel bad because i NEVER make what it is they ask for.
Currently i've promised people, and have no intention of making:
1 pr wristwarmers
1 ipod cover
1 harry potter scarf
1 pair ugg boot booties
1 Dr Who scarf (as if!)

And on my 'i've promised to knit list', two of those did not even offer to pay for yarn! And one is the dr who scarf! Seriously unimpressed. They will definitely never get made.
One person who i did actually knit for (baby shower gifts) and i only charged for materials because they were small and i ower her a million cups of coffee 'tipped' me the cost of materials again. Which meant she paid $50 all up! Objectively, that's a fair price for my labour, but it was still very generous, I thought.

I'm learning the 'okay, go buy the yarn for me' trick, slowly... mind, i told that to one person who wanted 'a big stripy scarf'; and she bought two balls of yarn. yup, two! *giggles* when i explained i'd need maybe seven or eight, she gave up on wanting the scarf.

Does anyone else find the things people ask for are invariably "a really, long, wide scarf" (read: metres and metres of hellishly boring garter stitch); or some utterly ginormous sweater all in stocking stitch. People never want small or interesting projects!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

DithMer

Have a good one, and learn everything you can.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2005 08:58:32 PM »

Ah, but there's an easy way around the "really wide long scarf" that I love.  If you hold together a chunky and a worsted weight yarn, on say, size 13 needles, and do garter stitch, the scarf is done in a day. And it almost always looks awesome and professional.  Yay for "cheating" knitting!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Shotgun_Bettie

Yup I'm Back..

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2005 09:00:27 PM »

Ah, but there's an easy way around the "really wide long scarf" that I love.  If you hold together a chunky and a worsted weight yarn, on say, size 13 needles, and do garter stitch, the scarf is done in a day. And it almost always looks awesome and professional.  Yay for "cheating" knitting!

That and the Elongated Garter stitch scarf with chunky soft yarn is my new friend..
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Crafting O.C.D at it's finest...
liquorice
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2005 01:30:22 AM »

With me, it depends who asks and what they want. I have a friend that absolutely adores a (very simple garter stitch) scarf that I made myself. She practically drools over it everytime she sees it. She really wanted me to make her one to. I agreed to do it, but she has to buy her own yarn. I'm taking her to the yarnshop, so she can see how expensive it can be. I really don't mind doing it for her, because I know that she will totally appreciate my work and the time I will put in.
With other friends, I just offer to teach them to knit (not that I'm that experienced, but at least a bit more than they are.) so they can make their own stuff and we can knit together: win-win!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

You do it to yourself, you do, and that's why it really hurts.
You do it to yourself, just you, you and no one else.

Radiohead
PurpleHeather
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2005 01:41:36 AM »

I crocheted* a 6' long rainbow scarf for a swap.  Loved making it, but I'd not make one again.  Upon seeing pictures a friend, someone who does sewing nonetheless, asked if she could get someone to pay me to make her one for Christmas.  I didn't have the heart to say that at minimum wage of 5 per hour ($8.80) it'd be 75, or 132 dollars, plus about 12 dollars for materials.  I did say that it was a very time consuming project, and that I'd have to seriously consider whether I had the time before I committed to making one.  I felt so rude.

*and sorry if I'm hijacking your board - a really good thread Cheesy
« Last Edit: November 04, 2005 01:43:43 AM by PurpleHeather » THIS ROCKS   Logged

lasandri
originator of the term "crackster", as in craftster is like crack.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2005 04:28:28 AM »

when people want me to make them stuff and offer to pay, i tell them that i don't like to sell my knitting because then it becomes like a job and i like to keep it a hobby. i usually tell them i'll do their project for free if they bought the yarn. no one has ever come back to me with any yarn Wink i planned it that way Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ax174
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2005 05:45:05 AM »

I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one that feels this way.  I even blogged about it, that's how much it annoyed me.

That's the reason I posted here.  I read about your situation on your blog, then got all riled up about the dog sweater and wanted to know what others knitters thought.  I'm pleasantly surprised that there are so many responses!  I like reading the stories - they really help me feel like I'm not the only one who suffers (i.e. you say yes, then hate yourself and the person who asked, and complain a lot; or, say no, then feel like the bad guy).
« Last Edit: November 04, 2005 05:58:34 AM by ax174 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

jax3303
« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2005 06:05:34 AM »

Like some others have said, when someone asks me to knit something for them, I always tell them to go buy the yarn. Out of the probably hundred times I've said this, only once has someone actually bought the yarn. She got a pattern, and asked me to write down specifically what type of yarn and how many balls she would need(she was afraid she would fuck it up) When she brought it all to me, she handed me an extra bag of yarn. She said she was looking around in the yarn store and she felt this and had to buy some for me as a thank you since I was knitting something for her. I looked in the bag and there were 2 hanks of Cherry Tree Hill Supersock  Shocked. I knew there was a reason she is my favorite cousin...lol
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 88 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Apply Base Coat for Tiger Face Makeup
Tools for Creating a Tiger Face
How to Apply Molding Wax for Constume Makeup
Costume Makeup - Finishing the Scarred Joker
Costume Makeup - Applying the Base Coat
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fabric Boxes
Tute Tuesday: A Pod of Narwhals
Hey, it's summer. Go outside!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...