A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 304,766
Currently Running With Scissors:
494 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: I WANT TO RUB COFFEE ALL OVER MY BODYYYYYY  (Read 2415 times)
Tags for this thread: coffee , playdough  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

DorkasaurusRex
« on: November 03, 2005 10:28:14 AM »

I've worked at the same coffee shop for what is about to be 3 Christmases.  Last year I made everyone a mix of songs and stand-up comedian clips about coffee (NO Christmas songs- we listened to them all month long at work) to cheer them up.  This year I really want to make my girls something to help them relax because we all get a little stressed by the lines of harried shoppers, and I want to make it coffee themed, because we all like coffee, and HEY free ingredients. 

I'd LOVE to make a bath bomb, or a scrub or a mask.  Something with a specific purpose and not just a soak.  I've found a couple of articles on here for bath oils and things, but not quite what I want.

I also don't make a lot of my own bath products, so I don't have any sort of professional set up or ingredients.  Anything I can mix up in big batches and scoop out into portions would be well-appreciated. 

You are all brilliant, by the way.  I've been on here all day for my boyfriend and father's gifts.  Brilliant.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Then he asked,"Lord, what about when there was one set of footprints on one side and also a straight line with bootprints on one side and small round circles on the other?" The Lord replied, "Those were when I carried you, and we were joined by a pirate pushing a wheelbarrow."
brokendove
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2005 07:00:34 PM »

Here are a few ideas for you

what about Coffee Playdough and bag it up as a stress relieving dough which would be fun
http://www.craftbits.com/viewProject.do?projectID=220

This one is actually called a salt and pepper thigh scrub (sure guys wont want this one)
but it does contain coffee http://www.craftbits.com/viewProject.do?projectID=776

Coffee and Cream Soap
http://www.craftbits.com/viewProject.do?projectID=32

Coffee Body Scrub
http://www.craftbits.com/viewProject.do?projectID=1058

Coffee Facial
http://www.craftbits.com/viewProject.do?projectID=1059

You can also add coffee grinds to shampoo to enhance the color of brunettes or red heads.You could buy some plain shampoo and add this.

all this talk about coffee is making me want one....

Coffee Time !!!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Website is
http://www.Craftbits.com
http://www.Craftbits.com.au
& now www.craftgossip.com

Free & Funky Craft Projects
Step by Step instructions
Soap & Beauty Recipes
Knitting & Sewing Projects
and 1000's more projects
ecstasia
Little Girl Lost

I love personal swaps!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2005 07:57:52 PM »

I make coffee soap all the time and I love it. The lather can be disturbing to some as it has a brown tint (I use cocoa or espresso for the color) but it smells heavenly. I also use ground up coffee beans or coffee grounds for scrubby action lol. And I make it using melt and pour which means all you have to do is buy the glycerine (most hobby shops have them) and stick in the microwave and then empty into a mold. I microwave my white (opaque) soap then I add the cocoa or espresso and mix well. I let it sit for a moment and then add the coffee grounds and mix. Mixing the grounds after it sets for awhile will allow them to be suspended in the soap rather then sit on top or sink to the bottom. Or you can buy the suspension melt and pour soap.

I also made a coffee flavored lip balm. Take some beeswax and some oil (I like sweet almond oil), cocoa butter or shea butter (optional) and add some drops of coffee flavor oil. The sweet almond oil can be purchased in a grocery store, beeswax and the flavor oils can generally be found in a hobby shop as well. You could probably color it with cocoa or espresso as well but I didn't.

-- Lissi
« Last Edit: November 04, 2005 08:00:02 PM by ecstasia » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kristen81
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2005 08:07:15 PM »

That coffee playdoh sounds awesome but doesn't playdough usually contain cream of tartar or something???

Here's another recipe, Good luck!

PLAYDOUGH RECIPE

You will need:

1/2 cup salt
1 cup flour
1 tablespoon cream of tartar
1 tablespoon oil
1 cup very dark strong instant or brewed coffee
food coloring (if desired)
What to do:

Combine ingredients in a saucepan.  Heat gently, stirring all the time.  When the dough has a good consistency, take it off the heat and allow to cool.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

WISTS!!!!      http://wists.com/KraftyKris

CHECK OUT MY SWAP BLOG:  http://kristen81.blog.ca/

WHAT'S FOR DINNER? - Recipe Blog!!!  http://kristenskitchen.blog.ca
ecstasia
Little Girl Lost

I love personal swaps!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2005 08:21:10 PM »

lol I was looking up a different recipe on this site that I love and came across the special November recipe of the month which just happened to be Coffee Hand Lotion:

http://www.pvsoap.com/recipe_kona_coffee_lotion.htm

Ingredients to make 16 ounces of lotion.

16 ozs. unscented body lotion base
2 ozs. coffee fragrance oil
1 oz vanilla fragrance oil
drops brown and orange liquid soap colorant
4 - 4 oz. disc top bottles
Labels

Gently mix body lotion base with 2:1 ratio of coffee and vanilla fragrance oils.  Start with a
lesser amount of fragrance and built to suit your scent needs.  Add a few drops of brown and orange soap colorant to achieve tan shade.

-- Lissi
THIS ROCKS   Logged

DorkasaurusRex
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2005 08:51:40 PM »

These are all such great ideas!  Now I want to do a little gift basket for everyone with a little of everything.  I think I want to do the coffe and sugar scrub, maybe a lip balm (depending on the cashflow), and the hand soap for the girls, and for the four guys that work at the store, I'll put in the play-dough and hand soap. 

Heyyyyy...how can I make a coffee candle?  Do you think if I use the clear candle gel I have laying around in some clear thrift-store mugs with coffee beans in the bottom, I won't blow up their house?

The fun part is going to be thinking up packaging for everything.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Then he asked,"Lord, what about when there was one set of footprints on one side and also a straight line with bootprints on one side and small round circles on the other?" The Lord replied, "Those were when I carried you, and we were joined by a pirate pushing a wheelbarrow."
Ayn
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2005 06:58:47 AM »

Hi there -- It occurs to me that men (well at least some men, like my hub) might indeed like & would actually use body scrubs. 
In fact hub likes to keep a little jar of some sort of decently-moisturizing scrub on the kitchen, bath, and workshop sinks to use on his hands. Of course there are several premade hand products specifically made for workshop or garden or other seeeriously grimy/dirty hand situations, but neither he nor I like them because all the ones we've tried so far tend to kinda chew up & be quite drying to skin.

I'm not a toiletries or soap maker myself, but seems to me that coffee based scrubs should be reasonably easy to make with crushed or ground up beans plus either brown or white sugar ... annnd possibly some nonfat dry milk?
That would yield 4 possible scrub types or 'flavors' -- black coffee, coffee & sugar, coffee & cream, and coffee with cream & sugar.

Would these be merely joke gifts, or could they actually be 'helpful'? ... welllllll ...

Milk has quite an ancient reputation as a skin-helper -- remember Cleopatra and her famous milk baths? Today we know that the lactic acid could provide a bit of 'chemical exfoliation', which would help skin to accept moisture/moisturizing more efficiently.

As for sugar, well of course there are numerous sugarbased scrubs out there on the commercial market at this very moment -- mainly because it provides fairly effective (and fairly inexpensive) 'physical exfoliation' for skin.
I guess white sugar would probably be more 'realistic' or something in a coffee scrub, lol; but you might also consider using part or all brown sugar too -- perhaps especially the kind called 'turbinado'.
Regular brown sugar crystals are generally softer-feeling and less sharp than white sugar crystals.  And unlike regular sort-of-powdery-feeling brown sugar, the turbinado variety comes in more-rounded & somewhat-larger pieces, almost like teensy river pebbles.

And finally coffee... The caffeine in coffee or tea used topically just might have some actual action... particularly for reducing the look of 'puffiness' or unwanted fluids.
When I was considerably younger, body wraps using coffee grounds were quite popular at home & at spas or salons, for temporarily smoothing out the look of cellulite on thighs/rear. And probably everyone's heard of putting steeped cooled tea bags on undereyes to help 'puffies' from lack of sleep, or allergies, or late-night partying.

Anyway! As I said, I'm not at all a toiletries/soap/candle/etc maker myself... but I did happen upon the following "recipe" which [1] sounds fairly easy to to do with no special supplies and [2] should be easy to adapt by using coffee-sugar-&/or-drymilk instead of the other scrub ingredients mentioned.

I'd guess you might be able to influence the end color by using good soap in white, tan, brownish or black (there actually is an old famous black soap long-said to be extremely skin-beneficial) -- and of course if the ground or crushed coffee isn't enough to scent the scrubs appropriately you should be able to add a bit of eo.
[[ By the way, in case you didn't know, the eo doesn't absolutely 'have' to be coffee, in fact I'm not even sure there 'is' a coffee eo, lol, though maybe there's coffee fo  ... but ...
there are three spices which in small amounts work *very* well with & very much enhance the scent (and flavor) of just about any decent-quality not-pre-flavored coffee:  star anise, &/or fennel, &/or cardamom.
They might possibly be a little easier to find in true 'essential oil' form, but if not,  you could experiment with the ground or whole forms,  And then of course there are alll the more-usual coffee scents/flavors such as vanilla, hazelnut, Irish Cream, etc etc]]   

http://recipes.herbalsoapsbyrj.com/recipes/category.php?CID=13

Mel's Fabulous Shea Scrub
Submitted by: Melanie Hayes
http://www.bathandbodycollection.com

Ingredients:
4 oz  grated soap
2 oz  shea butter
1 oz  olive oil
1 oz  liquid soap (optional)
1 tsp  walnut shell powder or jojoba beads

Directions
Grate a 4 oz bar of soap (salad shooter works nicely, or for finer shavings, use a potato peeler). Put some soap shavings into an 8 oz container. Add shea butter, olive oil, and liquid soap as desired. Mix well with a fork or whatever you have to mush it all together - add in exfoliant (walnut shell powder, pumice, jojoba beads - your choice). Add more soap while mixing together to get desired consistency - I prefer a thick, almost creamy mixture. Put in the shower. Scoop and rub in circular motion to gently exfoliate and massage all while cleaning and moisturizing!!! I LOVE THIS RECIPE, it happened by accident, but it's the best I've ever made. TIP: Use a well scented soap and your scrub will smell nice without having to worry about too much FO/EO in the mix.

------------------------

My own notes:

(1) I have nooo earthly idea what Mel means by using a salad shooter for grating or shaving... ?! ... but I'd say any kitchen implement, hand or electric, which will easily grate a hard cheese or a carrot would also grate or shave a soap. ... ...
(2) I'm definitely no fan of shea butter  so if it were me I think I might experiment with cocoa butter instead.  Don't much care for that either but at least its faint scent might be somewhat appropriate for coffee scrub, lol  ...

*EDITED to add* this: Also, if it were me, I think I'd experiment with something 'other than' olive oil. My personal choice for a couple of reasons -- again, one being that it's perhaps a little more appropriate with coffee -- would be "green tea seed oil".  A large health/naturals type grocery store such as Whole Foods should have it it in case your local groceries don't. (WF happens to be where we buy it).

(3) I know glass containers aren't exactly recommended for bathroom use, however, I also know that NOT ALL plastics are toiletries/cosmetics-safe. Now, I'm not sure if the following would successfully contain a scrub, but wonder if it'd be possible to experiment a bit with small-size "coffee bags" made from sturdy/heavy paper, carefully- & well-lined with waxed paper or clingwrap, with an inexpensive "coffee scoop" tucked inside? ... ...

and finally ... ...

(4) Here's a muuuch simpler but still cute and useful possibility:
You actually don't 'have' to 'make' a scrub.
Instead, simply prepare & combine as desired any or all of the three *dry* ingredients -- coffee, sugar, dry milk -- which provide a scrubbing action.
Unless you want to try adding something else *dry* such as ground  cardamom or fennel, for example, don't add eo or fo, just let the actual coffee scent be.
Put the dry scrub ingredients into the smaller-than actual-size, well-lined (i.e. hopefully moisture-proof) "coffee bag" along with the "coffee scoop" -- -- add a good secure closure, perhaps like those sturdy thick twist ties that often come on real coffee bags -- --  call it Instant Coffee Scrub (or whatever you like!) -- -- and add directions such as this:

In palm, mix 1 or more scoops with a little body wash, liquid soap, or light lotion. Scrub skin gently; rinse well. Keep bag tightly closed.

This way, people can use the scrub with products they already have.
If the thought of possible moisture collecting in a bag containing dry milk bothers you -- I can understand this as it slightly disturbs me too -- simply leave that out & just combine coffee & brown+white sugar.
Btw, turbinado brown sugar is considerably less prone to moisture-hardening than regular brown sugar -- but there's also a special type of regular brown sugar which should be readily available in any large grocery store & which claims to stay pourable and not to harden (in my experience the claim is reasonably accurate ... and anyway you won't be making 'humongous' bags that might sit in damp bathrooms or kitchens for a long time.).
« Last Edit: November 05, 2005 07:12:17 AM by Ayn » THIS ROCKS   Logged
callakat
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2005 08:38:07 AM »

I used this recipe from here last year, and all my friends LOVED it!  I mixed it as a salt scrub instead of a bath salt mix, and put it in pint jars.  It was very simple and smells WONDERFUL when you open the lid.

Coffee cinnamon bath salts- double the oil to make a scrub
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=645.0
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If I could pick one word to describe myself, it would probably be Fluffy Puff Marshamallows... or Homestar. Either one, really.  They both fit.
brokendove
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2005 09:33:59 PM »

You could make a grubby candle with coffee granules in it
or make a candle with coffee beans in it.

I did have a picture of one I'll see if I can find it
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Website is
http://www.Craftbits.com
http://www.Craftbits.com.au
& now www.craftgossip.com

Free & Funky Craft Projects
Step by Step instructions
Soap & Beauty Recipes
Knitting & Sewing Projects
and 1000's more projects
the.fee.fairy
Faeryish

Flying free

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2005 06:52:57 AM »

i'm just checking in to keep updated on this thread...i identified straight away with your title!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

'The Secret to living's Not Dying' - Kilnaboy
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Big Waves Hair Tutorial
What Is the Hair Routine Like Amongst Teresa and Her Daughters?
How To Rock A Rope Braid Hairstyle
The Secret to a Perfect Topknot
Anti-Aging Hair Products to Start Using Now
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup
@Home This Weekend: Create a Spooky Yard
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: Featured Artist Katrina Polacek

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...