A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 297,519
Currently Running With Scissors:
673 Guests and 20 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: printing directly to fabric??  (Read 941 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

zaum
« on: November 03, 2005 06:49:51 AM »

Is there a section for printing directly onto fabric here?  No iron on.. just putting the fabric into the printer.. I've got some questions but don't want to do it in the wrong place!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
me_huh
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2005 08:58:44 AM »

you can look for this stuff called "bubble jet" that you can coat a piece of fabric with and print on it with a regular ole ink jet printer. it has a much nicer effect than iron on transfers...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
determinedimprovisation

overly-excited crafter of all trades

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2005 09:33:04 PM »

there's not a section, so go ahead and ask your questions wherever.  to add to what me_huh said, you can also buy pre-treated sheets of muslin to run through your inkjet, and they work wonders.  buy them at walmart, because the same ones are twice the price or more at a craft store.  depending on your printer, you may not even need anything special at all.  tonight i discovered my canon pixima i4000 prints directly onto non-treated fabric and so far it seems to be water-proof.  haven't tried soap yet though.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
zaum
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2005 07:21:53 AM »

well... I have bought this fabric from a website that is supposed to be made for printing .  It's 13" x 3 yards.  My printer can print rolls.  My only problem is that I did print on fabric once before, (fabric made for the printer) and afterwards, the ink smudged a little if you rubbed it.  I am wondering if there is a fool proof way to treat the ink after it's printed so it will be permanant.  It doesn't need to be "washable" but definately able to handle being "handled".. the fabric is for bags, so it will be handled alot.  Any suggestions for what to treat it with after being printed?  Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
determinedimprovisation

overly-excited crafter of all trades

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2005 08:35:05 AM »

the instructions on what i use say to set with cold water and heat.  i'm sure in what order though...i'm sure it says on the package or online somewhere.

update on the canon printer to plain fabric: it's pretty good with water, as long as there's not a lot of black.  and it's definately not soap-proof.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
swift

That's never a pit bull!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2005 06:50:26 AM »

If you treat the fabric prior to printing with Bubble Jet Set 2000 it will be water proof. Or if you are using Epson Durabrite inks. I have toyed with the idea of using some kind of setter -- you can find it in the quilting store -- but once I looked at the price, it was cheaper to go with the Bubble Jet Set. Has anyone used something like Scotchguard?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"It's not an obsession. It's a quest for excellence!"
giantteeth
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2005 11:00:53 AM »

I just found this website- looks like it has some good info. on it:
http://www.bryerpatch.com/faq/bjs_q&a_page.htm
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Pull-Apart Butter Biscuits Recipe
How to Spice Up Your Tailgating Recipes
How to Make the Perfect Tailgating Burger
How to Make Paleo Stuffed Peppers
Perfect Tailgate Foods: Healthy Sausage Options
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...