A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 297,130
Currently Running With Scissors:
591 Guests and 32 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 17
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: calgary, anyone?  (Read 31786 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

merlperp

Where crafts meet crass

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2004 08:56:38 AM »

Did I hear the call for a Stitch and Bitch in Calgary?  Ladies!  There
already is one, albeit a small one.  I started one up after I moved here in
September with a friend of mine.  We meet about once every two weeks and
right now is hosted at different people's houses.  We've done the workshop
at Soap and More, made Christmas cards and ornaments, and even this Sunday,
sat down and made perogies.  (Some of us may be from Saskatchewan.)  Within
the next 2 weeks, we are having a "Learn to Knit" meeting if anyone is
interested.  We'll probably meet up on an evening or weekend.  Any
suggestions for a neutral ground to meet at would be great.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dancecraze
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2004 07:06:45 PM »

Sounds awesome, merlperp!

Where does everyone in your group live? As in, what quadrants of the city? Does everyone drive or do some people rely on transit?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
merlperp

Where crafts meet crass

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2004 10:28:04 AM »

We're from all over, so I'm looking for something centrally located.  The Second Cup in my area (15th Ave and 14th St SW) has some comfy chairs but not enough.  I'd love to have it at the Rose and Crown on 5th but it'll be too smokey in there.  So, a nice, smoke-free coffee shop or restaurant with good chairs would suffice.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mydogmeg
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2004 11:28:06 AM »

Chintz & Co., on 11 Avenue SW west of 11 Street, has some nice (though pricey) drapery- and upholstery-weight fabrics on the top floor, as well as trims. Sometimes they get interesting papers in their gift-wrap section.

Rubaiyat, on 17 Ave SW east of 7 Street, sells stained-glass supplies downstairs. And Reid's Stationers, just east of Rubaiyat, is a fun place to poke around - I've found cute trims for cards and stuff there, and they also sometimes get interesting papers in their gift wrap - as does The Social Page at 858 - 16 Ave SW (Mount Royal Village), though they are more for invites and proper stationery. Mona Lisa and Beadles Beads and Jewellry are right around there on 7 Street SW, just off 17 Avenue, so you can hit all these stores in a short walk. (Lucky me, I'm two blocks away!)

Luscious, which used to be on 4th Street and 23rd Ave SW (I think they moved recently) sell card stock by the sheet in a number of colours, as well as vellums and some trims, and hand-made cards.

According to their web site (http://artistsupplies.com) Nordraft/Colours also has a store in Marda Loop at  117, 3411-20 Street SW, but I haven't been up there.

Gina Brown's stocks some of the Rowan yarns and has a good selection of worsted-weight wool from Briggs & Little Woolen Mills, which is from New Brunswick.

Mount Royal College also sometimes offers painting and drawing classes through their continuing ed program, but I think the ACAD ones are better. (Also when you take a class through ACAD continuing ed, you get to use the school's library for the semester in which you take the class.)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mydogmeg
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2004 11:39:48 AM »

Oh yeah - discovered this on the weekend: the Bow Valley Calligraphy Guild (http://www.bvcg.ca/index.html) offers classes and workshops in St. Andrew's Heights in the northwest.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dancecraze
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2004 05:33:57 PM »

We're from all over, so I'm looking for something centrally located.  The Second Cup in my area (15th Ave and 14th St SW) has some comfy chairs but not enough.  I'd love to have it at the Rose and Crown on 5th but it'll be too smokey in there.  So, a nice, smoke-free coffee shop or restaurant with good chairs would suffice.

Hey, that's my area too!

I like Bad Ass Coffee because it's quite spacious and the smoking section is a room in itself.  However, there aren't comfy stuffed chairs like in half of that Second Cup you mentioned. There are just regular chairs at Bad Ass, but I've sat in them for a few hours with no ill effects.  Wink

The Hop In Brew is my favourite pub because it's quiet and comfy. While smoking is allowed, there's rarely a lot of people in there so it's manageable. It's at  213 - 12th Avenue SW. (hopinbrew.com)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lizbot

is it just me or is it getting awesome in here?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2004 11:37:05 PM »

i'm from calgary!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

meli-melo
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2004 06:35:38 AM »

I'm from Calgary too and would love to learn to knit so if people are still thinking of starting up a knitting group (or a stitch and bitch) then count me in.  I don't know how much time I could commit to it right now because I am working two jobs and I am supposed to be making wedding invitations (which I keep putting off) and I won't allow myslef to do anything creative until the invites are done.

There is also BeadWorks in Kensington which, I believe, has classes and last year I took a sewing class through Chinook College continuing ed and I believe that offered other crafty type courses.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

meli-melo
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2004 05:48:40 PM »

I just thought that I would let everyone know about a store I just found.  It is called Paper Pastimes and it is on the corner of Elbow Drive and Heritage Drive in a little shopping centre (it is actually downstairs).  I found it because I was looking for interesting paper to make wedding invitations with.  They also had a large assortment of rubber stamps and quilling supplies.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kitsyv

Vic Park Hocker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2004 06:21:36 AM »

Hi All...It's so fantastic to see there is so many other crafters in this city.  Thanks for all the tips and insights to not-so-popular crafty places.  My girlfriends and I have a weekly craft-in, usually on Thursdays.  We pretty much work on whatever we like...we've gone through all sorts of stuff, from silk screening to stencil art, to paper crafts and sewing.  It's great because we can all share tips and have mini-learn- ins.  

Anyways...the most important part of this post is that we are attempting to plan a Rock and Craft show in June sometime.  We have about 6 local bands lined up and we would like to host tables so local crafters can sell their wares during the show.  It won't be the hugest venue...but there will be rock and roll and beer..and really, what more does a person need?  It will be a great opportunity to get your items shown, and your name out.  Plus, the extra dough never hurts.  We are still hammering out details but if anyone is interested please email us at:    thecraftclassof2004@hotmail.com   with any questions or comments!  I hope we hear from a few of you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If you can't think of something witty, lie.
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 17 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Low Carb Lotus Root and Pork Sandwich
Kung Pao Chicken
How to Make King Crab Salad
Curry Dover Sole with Vegetables
Crab Wontons with Sweet Chili Sauce
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...