A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 297,726
Currently Running With Scissors:
538 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 17
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: calgary, anyone?  (Read 32261 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

mspuff
« on: November 22, 2003 09:08:05 PM »

please, please?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
saucyhiggens
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2003 07:12:26 PM »

What are you looking for?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mspuff
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2003 07:48:55 PM »

Sorry, I guess I should have been more specific, but I really didn't think anyone would respond  Undecided.  Anyway I'm new to the area and looking for cool crafty + arsty people/classes/stores.  I'm into silkscreening, paper-related arts (but not really scrapbooking), graphics, furniture making...and of course, have a secret penchant for making little crafty objects, like magnets etc.  Anyway, I haven't had much luck finding the people/classes/stores so far -- I've found some classes offered by ACAD (really expensive!) and City of Calgary Recreation.  As for stores, it seems that if it can't be found at Lewiscraft, Fanny's Fabrics, Walmart or Michael's then it doesn't exist!  Are there any independent craft stores out here?  Any great places to take classes and meet people?  I even thought about taking up knitting (an activity that's very counter to me since I'm not very detail-oriented) but alas, not even a Stitch and Bitch or yarn store around, or at least none that I can find.  If anyone can point me in the right direction, I'd be grateful!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
saucyhiggens
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2003 08:13:45 PM »

Alas, Micheals has wiped out all of the cool craft stores that used to be around.  If you are into beads at all, Suzie Q Beads in Inglewood has some classes on what to do with them.  They are kind of pricy for the beads them selves, though.  They also hooked me up with a place to learn how to make glass beads.  (haven't taken it yet, but sometime in the new year...)  I have taken a few classes from the Calgary Parks & Rec books, and they are pretty good.  

I'm not really into furniture making, so I'm not sure where to go for that.  If you ever did find out where to do silkscreening, I would be curious to know, it's something I would like to do.

Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mspuff
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2003 06:54:20 PM »

cool, I'll have to check out Suzie Q--I've been meaning to go there so even more incentive.  There's a silkscreening class through Alberta College of Art + Design, but it's pretty expensive ($235 I think?) for a three day class.  Glass beads sounds fun, is it through a stained glass place?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cateph
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2003 07:49:35 AM »

Hi,  Unfortunatley you are right about the selection of craft stores here.
I am anxiously waiting for my stitch n' bitch book (should be here tomorrow!) I have never knit anything in my life. Under YARN in the yellow pages I found Gina Browns, near Chinook Center another is Birch Hill Yarn on Lake Fraser DR SE.
There is also a good paper store at 130th and Deerfoot SE. It is a scrapbooking store, but they sell sell really cool paper, lots of handmade and comtemporary stuff. I am not sure of the name, it is Scrapbook...something. It is a little on the expensive side.
I will have to go to Suzie Q beads on of these days. There is also Beads and Plenty more in Bonavista Shopping Centre, they offer classes. I think most of these stores do.
Hope some of this helps Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mspuff
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2003 03:48:01 PM »

If you get so inspired to start a Stitch and Bitch, let me know!  Maybe I can knit a misshapen scarf or something...

I noticed that the dollar store (I think A Buck or Two) now stocks some cool handmade-ish Indian/Thai papers.  Also the art store (Colours) in Marda Loop has DIY screenprinting kits for about $80.  

Sigh, I wish the soapmaking classes were cheaper...somehow I can't justify paying like $80 to make 3 bars of soap.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cateph
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2003 08:11:07 AM »

I don't know that I will be ambitious enough to Start a Stich and Bitch right away, maybe in the New Year. I will certainly let you know! I would love to learn how to knit with other people, I really don't have a clue. The book finally arrived yesterday.
I never thought about trying the dollar store for paper...I will have to look there.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pleat

girls jump on beds!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2004 12:55:19 PM »

I currently go to ACADI'm a second year Fibre and Textiles major. I know you can take Con-ED classes for printing on cloth, the technician in my department teaches them (at least she did last year). They are expensive, yes, but you get access to unlimited facilities and the instructors are absolutely fabulous (everyone in the Fibre department is nice as pie). This semester I'm taking a printing on cloth course (specializing in silkscreening) and I'm super excited.

And as for craft stores, everyone is right: there's hardly anything good here. If you want great fibres for knitting/crocheting/weaving, head to Gina Browns or Beehive (they're both in the same area of town, just off Macleod Trail). There's also a great fibres store in Carstairs, I forget what it's called. It's a long drive away but it's worth it if you want to get quality stuff.

Also, there's Nordraft art supplies on 16th Avenue, they sell everything under the sun. I've bought quite a bit of my lino printing supplies there.

And! If there's a Stich and Bitch going on, count me in! I'm all about meeting new crafty kids!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

fuck love: all you need is a great pair of shoes.
dancecraze
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2004 08:08:48 PM »

My favourite place to wander around with a debit card is the sixth floor (I think; the one above the furniture floor) of the Bay downtown. There's a Michael's there AND a fabric/accessories place!

Also, there's always Mona Lisa at 17th Ave & 7th Street. You probably already knew about it, but still!

Aaand, I'm all for learning how to knit at a S&B. I'm too intimidated to knit around pros.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2004 08:27:28 PM by dancecraze » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 17 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Aarti Sequeira Presents the Basics of Indian Cooking
Marcel Vigneron Explains Molecular Gastronomy
How to Make Dashi
Types of Miso
Korean Cooking for an American Kitchen
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Manicure for Halloween
"Z" is for Zombie!
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...