A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 307,986
Currently Running With Scissors:
393 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: journals made with old game boards  (Read 33771 times)
Tags for this thread: featured_project  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

averyclevername
« on: May 16, 2004 06:08:32 PM »

Here's two journals I just made, one from an old scrabble game, the other from a 1970s Guinness World Records game. Both games came from the thriftshop, one from the free box (yay free stuff!). I've been looking for a decent substitute for bookboard for some time, something which would be suitable for folks who want to make a journal or two without buying a $50 bundle of Davey's binders' board. Most cardboard warps and doesn't cut clean, record covers--although they look rad--are a bit on the flimsy side, and reconstructing vintage bookcovers can be kinda time-consuming. But the stuff gameboards are made of is 1) easy to cut and 2) doesn't warp with glue and 3) makes for a fun journal theme. You can also accessorize with the game pieces, either glueing 'em on the cover or using 'em as bookmarks. Wee!

More about the books: they're quarter-bound and hand-sewn. The edges of the covers are reinforced with fabric tape. There's kenaf paper in the scrabble book, and banana paper in the other (collated in 8 signatures of 5 leafs, for a total of 160 pages). You can use vintage cloth for the spine, just make sure it's kinda thick, preferably cotton, and not too stretchy. It's also not a bad idea to starch and/or iron it.

Thanks for letting me have a lil show 'n' tell. I'm gonna go make a monopoly book now.

http://robertsonbookbindery.com/cactuspony/books/scrabble/front.jpg

http://robertsonbookbindery.com/cactuspony/books/scrabble/head.jpg

http://robertsonbookbindery.com/cactuspony/books/scrabble/tiles.jpg

http://robertsonbookbindery.com/cactuspony/books/guiness/cover-zoom.jpg

http://robertsonbookbindery.com/cactuspony/books/guiness/open.jpg

http://robertsonbookbindery.com/cactuspony/books/guiness/bookmark2.jpg
« Last Edit: April 06, 2011 08:32:12 AM by Phizzychick - Reason: attempted to fix photos » THIS ROCKS   Logged

CactusPony Books:
Practical Sophistication & Whimsical Wonder
www.cactuspony.com
wannabesupercrafty
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2004 06:58:36 PM »

these are fabulous!!! i love them! they look very professional yet approachable. i'm in love!  Shocked
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SoHollywood
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2004 07:08:03 PM »

Wow. I definately need to invest in learning how to bind books. Those are beautiful, but they're fun too. I love them!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

<3 Erin
papertoes
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2004 07:38:56 PM »

These are GREAT!  I love how you used a game card as a bookmark  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Don't worry about the world ending today.  It's already tomorrow in Australia."  ~Charles Schulz
d_oubt

Go Banana, GO!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2004 08:25:40 PM »

a cheap, creative way to make something w/ pop culture appeal - very very nice Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rosered

terror of the highseas

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2004 03:41:34 AM »

That is awesome looking. Is there any way we can prod you into making a tutorial for it? Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

CyndiCat

Sunshine the wonder puppy

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2004 10:15:11 AM »

I am in total awe.  I have always been intimidated by book binding, but yours are so fun and wonderful looking I've got to try it.  Question (from a total novice), how do the pages stay in?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Demeter

Breaking Some Bad Habits

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2004 11:04:03 AM »

OMG!  I love them!  You could make a fortune from these if you ever wanted to sell them.  I really like the Scrabble journal.  I've got to start looking for old game boards now!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
averyclevername
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2004 12:10:24 PM »

That is awesome looking. Is there any way we can prod you into making a tutorial for it? Smiley

I'm flattered. But it'd be a pretty lengthly tutorial. One of these days, I'm gonna get up a DIY guide to binding. In the mean time, there's tons of great books on journal-making and bookbinding out there--and once you have the skills, you can kinda experiment with substituting materials and tools.

Here's some more details and tips:
--if you're using standard 8.5x11" paper folded in half for the journal, the front and back cover board measurements will be 8.75" x 5.5"
--you can get away with using a spine 1/2" to 5/8" thick for 125-175 pages, depending on weight of paper stock. You might want to experiment with a few mock-ups first.
--the fabric for the spine should measure 10x3"
--the little red scooper sticks that come in cheese and cracker snack packs are the perfect width (roughly 3/8") for setting the gutters (the space between the cover board and spine). You can usually pick 'em up at gas stations for a 25-50 cents.

I hope that helps...

THIS ROCKS   Logged

CactusPony Books:
www.cactuspony.com
averyclevername
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2004 12:30:45 PM »

I am in total awe.  I have always been intimidated by book binding, but yours are so fun and wonderful looking I've got to try it.  Question (from a total novice), how do the pages stay in?

The Answer, Short Version:
The paper is folded into signatures (five sheets per sig), the signatures are sewed together into a book "block," and then glue is applied to the spine-side of the block. The actual book block is held into the book by pasting the endleafs on the cover, with the hinges reinforced with cheesecloth-ish stuff.

It's more of a traditional hardcover handbinding style, where the pages aren't actually glued on to the spine (like in trade paperbacks), so the pages are easier to turn, and the book can lie flat so you can write in it.

Okay. I'll stop being Mister Smartypants now. Bookbinding really isn't as hard as all the book snobs out there would like you to think it is. All you really need is gobs and gobs of Patience with a capital P. You can find tons of books on binding here:
http://nt.bnt.com/talas/menu.html?category=194
THIS ROCKS   Logged

CactusPony Books:
www.cactuspony.com
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
We Can Do It!
Meatless Monday: Squash and Onion Galette
@Home This Weekend: Etched Glasses

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...