A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 302,805
Currently Running With Scissors:
528 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: TUTORIAL: Pro Photo's The Easy & Economical Way  (Read 1616 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

janetsjunk
Crafty & Artistic Momma

Everything happens for a reason.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: November 02, 2005 06:29:33 PM »

Tutorial by Kimberly Mowers (aka: zaum)
Thank you Kimberly for your free advice, it is greatly appreciated!!

Let me first say that I AM NOT A PRO!!  But perhaps something in here will help..

Ok.. the first photo I sent is of the set up where we shoot.  If you don't have light and umbrella stands, dont worry, it's no

big deal.  It just makes shooting alot easier, and if you want a set, you can get them on ebay for about $120.  2 light stands,

2 lights, 2 umbrellas.  That is what I have set up here.  If you use umbrellas, point the light away from your table, and facing

the umbrellas.  You want the light to reflect off the inside of the umbrellas, and onto your bags.  The backdrop is a large roll

of white paper.  I just tacked it to the wall, draped it over the table, and let it go to the floor.  On the sides of the white

paper are two large pieces of white foam core.  I just taped the sides of them to the table and the wall.  You want them

slanted out a bit, like opening up to you.  Not too much though.  The point of these is to reflect the light onto your bag, and

keep the color neutral, to block out anything else in the room that the light might reflect off of.

If you are using the photo stands and umbrellas, you need bulbs called "photoflood"  and you want daylight bulbs.  I use

5oo watt bulbs.  they come in 250 or 500.  They are blue.  This way, you can also shoot any time of day, and not have to

block off the windows.  (For example, if you were shooting with tungsten lights, you would have to block out all daylight, as

the colors of the light will be different)  Daylight reads blue on camera and film.  Regular house lamps and are yellow. 

If you don't have the photo lamp set up, and don't want to buy one, there is a simple and cheap alternative, which is to buy 

clamp lights.  They are very cheap.  I would use about two or three on either side.  (I only put one in the photo)  Just clamp

them onto the tops of the foamcore.  Point them not directly onto your bag, but towards the opposite piece of foamcore. 

this way, you are getting the reflected light instead of the more harsh direct light. I think you can buy them in any hardware

store, and they should only be a few bucks each.  For these, you should also buy "daylight" bulbs.  You can buy those in the

supermarket or hardware store too.  They are for household use, in the lightbulb section, just look for a label that says they

are "daylight".  ( I use sylvania brand) 

If you don't have a tripod, you can use anything tall enough to set the camera on. 

As far as shooting, I have always been a 'traditional" photographer, and only recently have ever used digital cameras, so I'm

sorry, but I dont know much about different cameras!  We have an olympus camedia.  On the camera, we can choose the

quality of the pic.  Always use the best quality if you have a choice.  (highest resolution)  You can always make the images

smaller afterwards, but you can't make a higher quality pic from a low quality original... so.. we shoot on high quality, and

also for the smaller items we shoot, we use macro focus.  For our larger bags though, we just shoot on portrait or

landscape, and they look fine. 

If you want to try photoshop, it's really simple, I'll just give you a quick run down, and if you are interested in trying it, I can

go into more detail later..

open the image in photoshop.  The first thing to adjust is "levels".

Go under image, than adjust, than levels.  bring each little arrow to the first black peak on either side of the black peaks.

Thenyou can go under image again and go to brightness/contrast.  I wouldn't use the contrast too much, as you don't want

your bags to look too harsh.  Under image, you can also adjust the color balance.  I don't use this much because with the

daylight bulbs, the color is already very good.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2011 08:33:32 AM by jungrrl - Reason: fixed a coding issue » THIS ROCKS   Logged

janetsjunk
Crafty & Artistic Momma

Everything happens for a reason.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2005 02:50:48 PM »

That's a good tute too...thanks!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

shaving kit
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2005 05:58:43 AM »

Out of all the tutorials on this site, this is my favorite. I can apply this technique to so many things, and have even used it here at work to photograph our product for our website. And I can barely turn a camera on, so you know this is easy, and that the tutorial  is well-written! Thanks so much for doing this.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Tease Long Hair
How to Do a Long Half Up Half Down Style
How to Curl Long Hair With a Flat Iron
How to Do a Long Hair Updo
How to Curl Long Hair With a Curling Iron
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament
Cardboard Tube? Craft Supply!
Spotlight on: Art Dolls

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...