A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 299,128
Currently Running With Scissors:
576 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Cardboard Mail Divider  (Read 4827 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

missy
« on: November 22, 2003 06:20:05 PM »

http://www.geekwhore.com/missy/crafts13.jpg

This one is just made from an old box, some yarn, stencils and colored pencils (the bottle cap things are the same as in my bottle cap magnet thread here:
 http://www.craftster.org/yabbse/index.php?board=14;action=display;threadid=609;start=0#lastPost

All i did was measure 3 equal sizes of cardboard, and fold it to make a pocket. I hot glued these on a larger piece of cardboard (the backing)

after gluing them down, i folded the seam up to meet the top, leaving the top open (for mail) i punched 4 holes through each side of the pocket.

once the holes were punched, i could "sew" yarn through the holes and tie it at the top. This could be done loosley to make them more adjustable (for all of those catalogs!)

i did this 3 times (one fore each roommate) and punched 2 more holes at the top for a hanging string.

after it was all put together i took stencils and put our initials on it. each one would be for the people who live in my house. Erica, Missy and Shawn. I made little bottle caps for each person. Erica got a little lesbian bike messenger girl, I got Space Ghost, and Shawn got Morrisey. Smiley

ta da, hang on the wall near the door and no more clutter.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2010 08:04:17 PM by pixieval - Reason: removed broken image tags » THIS ROCKS   Logged
comfits
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2003 06:38:14 PM »

i love organizers!!  especially ones that are easy to make & don't cost a thing!!  i'll have to try making your.  i made one out of a cardboard box for a school organizer for my kids.  i used ribbon to hang it with & hung ribbon down off of it w/ clippies.  you put pens & scratch paper in the box & hang school notes, etc on the clippies.  i'll have to take a pic of it tomorrow & post.  i'm gonna make your cardboard one for our bills!!  thank you for posting!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
missy
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2003 04:44:22 PM »

you could probably also use something more printed like an old calendar or anything really made of strong enough cardstock to hold a few letters. Smiley it was fun.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
comfits
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2003 08:13:29 AM »

ok, here's the kids' hanging shoebox organizer.  one long side is hers & the other is his.  they each have a clip to use.  on one short side is a weekly schedule.  i velcroed it on there, so it can be easily removed.  i also used clear packing tape to cover it, so i can use those eraser board markers to change the schedule.  the other short side just has clips for whatever.  inside the box is a notepad, pen, pencil, eraser board marker, scissors, etc.  it's a place for us to leave notes, school papers, reminders, whatever.  behind it on the wall i also keep a calendar.  works pretty good.  i'm hoping for more organizing suggestions here--mail, school papers, etc.  come on craftsters!!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
thewalrusisme
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2003 09:57:25 AM »

I made little bottle caps for each person. Erica got a little lesbian bike messenger girl, I got Space Ghost, and Shawn got Morrisey. Smiley

this looks great but im puzzled..
what exactly does a "little lesbian bike messenger girl" look like?   Shocked
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Art is why I get up in the morning.  My definition ends there.  It doesn't seem fair that I'm living for something I can't even define." ~ A.Difranco
rangerbeth
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2004 10:28:56 PM »

YESS!!! I saw these metal magazine rack things from ikea that you could hang on the wall.  I love them but i've been looking for a way to make them myself.  The cardboard looks just great.  What kind of material could be used for heavier magazines though? I want something thin enough to cut but sturdy enough for magazines.  I was thinking about some of that plastic cardboard (if that makes sense) people usually make presentations on it.  seems pretty sturdy.  love the bottle tops by the way.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

missmichigan

long lost sister of rosie palm

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2004 12:55:42 PM »

here's mine, just one box, retaped, and slashed open on one side, covered with paper and ribbon wrapped to hang. I want to attach this and 2 small boxes to a larger peice of either cardboard or sheet metal?? then I could have a bonafide message center- pens/pencils in one small box, stamps and addy labels/envelopes in another and mail/catalogs/zines in the large one; plus having a metal surface to magnet-i-fy...

to

in 20 minutes or so Smiley

egads, I love craftster!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Would you like to go to a pants party?
Lenae
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2004 07:04:28 PM »

Great ideas!  Thanks for sharing!  I definitely need to make one of these to stay organized.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jennymeg
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2004 05:10:50 AM »

I felt the need to bump this thread. I've been thinking about it for a week. I just organized my office space and want to make something to divide things like "pending orders,"  "customer special requests," "wholesale inquiries."

(LATER) Here it is -

I used a shallow box and slanted the dividers (I cut them at an angle). I was very happy with the result!
« Last Edit: March 22, 2004 07:29:44 AM by jennymeg » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The Best & Worst Celebrity Beauty Looks Of The Week
CM Cia.Maritima Summer 2015 Miami - Backstage, Interviews & Runway
Caffe Swimwear Summer 2015 Miami - Backstage, Interviews & Runway
How to Create Bronzed Summer Makeup
Tips to Keep Your Skin Hydrated This Summer
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Mini Book Jewelry
Handmade Gift Ideas: Bunny Travel Pillow
Tute Tuesday: Cross Stitched Sewing Box

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...