A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 302,711
Currently Running With Scissors:
492 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: My huge crocheted plastic bag tote bag  (Read 5206 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

recycled_earth

Forget the llamas. Gimme some hedgehog love.

View Profile WWW
« on: November 02, 2005 02:53:58 PM »

I know this isn't new, and everyone and their dog knows how to crochet with plastic bags, but I'm darned proud of this one.  I made it as big as a beach/laundry tote.  I used some ridiculously large crochet hook that didn't have a size printed on it and was just handed to me by another mommy at the bus stop one day.  The bag was big enough to fit my two girls, as you can see below, and I picked them up in it without hurting the bag (or the girls).  That was about a 45 pound load.  These bags are strong!  Sadly, I wasn't able to keep this one because I was making it as a gift.  But someday I shall have one of my very own...

THIS ROCKS   Logged

If I die before I learn to speak, will money pay for all the days I lived awake but half-asleep?   -Primitive Radio Gods

UK crafters unite!  www.craftermath.co.uk
liquorice
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2005 03:00:55 PM »

Wow!!! That's pretty big and pretty strong! Definitely make another one for yourself. Good colours as well!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

You do it to yourself, you do, and that's why it really hurts.
You do it to yourself, just you, you and no one else.

Radiohead
knitoramamomma

knitorama llama

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2005 09:50:53 PM »

Wow thats a big bag!  I love it....and the kiddo's are ADORABLE!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

CrazeeMoi
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2005 06:27:15 AM »

woohoooooo   Looks  great!!!   I have made a really big one too..... was used to carry my laundry in  to the basement.   Great to see someone else who likes to crochet with bags!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
FluffyMonkey
i feel my fate in what i cannot fear

The creative mind plays with what it loves

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2005 09:56:10 AM »

how did you cut the bags to make the yarn? i've seen the one where you cut the bag into loops and link the loops together, but it looks more like you might have made one continuous strip.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"There are two kinds of strengths: the strength to lead, and the strength to follow; the strength to control, and the strength to yield. There are two kinds of power: the power to strip another's soul bare, and the power to stand naked."
~Yaldah Tovah

On Ravelry! Look me up; there I'm baela.
recycled_earth

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2005 10:37:22 AM »

Nope, I did the linked loops method.  I've made other things with the continuous strip, and it's just not as strong.  The photo quality's not that great, but when you're really close to the bag you can see the knots where they loops join.  It adds to the charm of plastic bag crochet, if you ask me.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If I die before I learn to speak, will money pay for all the days I lived awake but half-asleep?   -Primitive Radio Gods

shsh
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2005 11:54:52 AM »

i just made one of these as well. http://www.flickr.com/photos/moonrhythm/59142713/
but not as large as yours! i had a helluva time tho and it hurt my fingers so much~ ugh.
i think because i used different thickness of plastic, from bread bags, to shopping and grocery bags. some were WAY too thick! they make great bags for crochet/knit items. my daughter is using the one i made for her yarn stash. Smiley yours looks great, much more uniformed than mine. i didn't really have enough bags of any one color.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

When people have lost their authentic personal taste, they lose their personality and become the instruments of other people's wills.--Robert Graves

http://www.flickr.com/photos/moonrhythm/
http://del.icio.us/dandelion
recycled_earth

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2005 05:19:14 AM »

Heh.  Smiley  Yeah, it'll do that.  I always think before I start a new one "Do I really want to deal with this giant pain in the ass?"  But they're just so cool that I always end up making more.  We do probably 99% of our shopping at two stores, so we really only have brown bags and white bags.  When my mom found out I was making these again she mailed me a big box of plastic bags (which is only notable because she's in the US and I'm in England) and begged me to make her one.  The breadbags are really good for rugs since they're so rugged (if you'll pardon the unintentional pun), but they are a bugger to work with.  I won't even mess around with those anymore.  I'm too impatient.  Anyway, I LOVE your bag!  It's so colorful and festive.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SpookShowBaby
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

She's a Killer, She's a Thriller

Milk Sucks! Got Margaritas?

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2005 02:29:30 PM »

I just made my first crocheted plastic bag bag, and must admit that I love it!...although it's not nearly as big as yours....do you have a pattern for this GORGEOUS, ginormous bag???...I would love to give it a try..... Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I don't believe in ghosts, bigfoot, or flaking on your swap partner!

http://www.wists.com/SpookShowBaby
recycled_earth

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2005 04:58:57 PM »

I just used this one: http://www.marloscrochetcorner.com/round%20plastic%20bag%20tote.html but I made it with a giant hook and added maybe three or four more increase rounds.  The hook I used had to have been like a size S or T or something - it was enormous.  I made one of these today (well, I finished it today, anyway) with a size M hook which is what the pattern states, and it the bag turned out tiny.  I must have gotten spoiled.  I'd love to see a pic of yours!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Breakfast Salmon Scrambled Eggs
Salt Beef Bagels With Ultimate Pickles
How to Make a Delicious Family Meal for Less Than $20
How to Make a Pressed Cubano with Bacon
How to Make Rosemary Chicken Salad Sandwiches
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Rustic Fabric Pumpkins
I See London; I See France!
Meatless Monday: Zucchini Pineapple Loaf

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...