A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 298,722
Currently Running With Scissors:
599 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Consignment shops  (Read 4494 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

bunmi100
« on: September 02, 2005 10:29:36 AM »

Does anyone have any experience dealing with consignment for crafts? Huh
THIS ROCKS   Logged
classycrafter
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2005 08:48:00 AM »

What did you need to know? I dont really know too much. I used to work in a store that took in some consignments.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sewki
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2005 04:51:36 PM »

I'm interested in consignment shops too.  I'm new to the area, so I'm wondering where to even begin.  Like, what stores even take consignment goods?  Or are there any resources on it?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

classycrafter
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2005 06:40:50 PM »

Well, I used to work in a little shop in a historic distric. And we took in some consignments. But it had to match the theme of our store.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sewki
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2005 08:10:28 PM »

Well, I used to work in a little shop in a historic distric. And we took in some consignments. But it had to match the theme of our store.

What was the theme of the shop?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

classycrafter
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2005 09:11:06 PM »

Well, it was in a historic distric and the whole street was filled with all sorts of shops. Our shop in particular was a more primitive shop. We sold a little of everything. Go to www.historicsaintcharles.com  You might be able to view some of the shops websites and it can give you an idea. I am not sure if all the shops do consignments or on what terms. Hope this helps!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

hrhacissej
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2005 08:00:26 AM »

I sell 90% of my work through consignment shops.

What usually happens is that you start at one or two shops and gradually meet more artists and you learn about more shops.  Actually, craftster is where I find out about more national opportunities...check out the classifieds section.  Another way is to check out the websites of artists that you like.  They usually have links to sites where their work is sold...voila instant info on shops and contact information.

I can also suggest jurying into the Illinois Artisan Program.  Google it and you'll find their website along with submission guidelines.  There are 4 galleries in Illinois, and they do a 50/50 split.  If you are close to any of the galleries (addresses on website) I suggest checking them out to see if your work complements the others.  The gallery in the Thompson Center hosts art sprees about 10x's a year where you get a chance to personally meet your customers and talk about your work and network with other artists.  If you go to the Thompson Center gallery (on 2nd floor) my work is the knitted stuff under the Heirloom Textiles label.

Another route is to attend art fairs and talk to the artists.  Most will share information about consignment stores in the area.

Check out www.uniquefreaque.com.  It is a consignment shop in Oak Park.

For music themed work, there's www.musicopia. com.  It's in Berwyn and the store is called Musicopia...I'm guessing on the website address.

Finally, check out www.shopoakpark.com.  I think Lindsey Gallery takes work on consignment.  There may be some other places I'm forgetting...

Best of luck to you!!

Jessica
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Rocky Road Fudge
How to Make Delicious Summer Peach Sandwich Cookies
How to Make Chocolate Frozen Bananas for Adults Only
How to Make Neapolitan Ice Cream at Home
Rocket Science Uses Liquid Nitrogen to Make Fresh Ice Cream
Latest Blog Articles
Challenge #104 Halloween Costume Winner
@Home This Weekend: Painted Countertops
Tute Tuesday: Paper Lantern/Ball Ornament

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...