A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 297,163
Currently Running With Scissors:
509 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: what are your favorite independent stores in Columbus??  (Read 7777 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

GeeZee
« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2007 08:35:12 PM »

Is Yankee Trader still open on High St.? I haven't been there in years.  Was it called Yankee Trader? Now i'm confused. Huh
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2007 04:01:14 AM »

Hmm... I'm not sure.  I haven't been down there in a while.  I think I'm getting old - I avoid downtown now. Cheesy

Anyone else know?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster has gone mobile!!  Read the news here.
GeeZee
« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2007 07:22:03 AM »

I KNOW I'm getting old!  Roll Eyes I avoid downtown too! maybe i'll check it out before work today.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
plumpossum
« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2007 09:25:43 AM »

ugh I work downtown, I wish I could avoid it.  But I don't work near Yankee Trader. 

Great coffee shop downtown: Skambo at E. Gay St. & Pearl Alley. 

Also, the Pearl Alley farmers market rocks.  I especially like when they get the big steel drum players out there and it turns into a little party right in the middle of my lunch break.  There's a lot of crafty folks filtering into the market, especially jewelry makers.  They get tons of business from people who work in the state office tower that don't want to walk to the deserted city center to buy a gift at the overpriced hallmark store.  I know that farmers market (and a fabulous guy who makes gorgeous silver bracelets) has saved my butt a number of times.

The Andersons sells E.L.F. cosmetics, which alone makes it certifiably awesome.  You can check out ELF at www.eyeslipsface.com - everything is $1 and it's all very well made, the eyeshadows are far more pigmented than what you would expect for a dollar.  And for those of us with kids, they sell a ton of wooden & metal, good quality, old fashioned, non-branded or cartoon related toys.  It's nice to be able to just play without the advertisements.

I've read that there's a sheep farm that spins and sells its wool yarn somewhere in Canal Winchester- but never been to it.  I'd like to venture down to it some day, but I'm scared of what the prices would be like.  Anybody ever been?
« Last Edit: May 30, 2007 09:28:59 AM by plumpossum » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Bigmouth

Lisa at heart

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2007 02:13:55 PM »

I've read that there's a sheep farm that spins and sells its wool yarn somewhere in Canal Winchester- but never been to it.  I'd like to venture down to it some day, but I'm scared of what the prices would be like.  Anybody ever been?
I've been there, but I know nothing about the prices.  I went to buy wool cards and drop spindles for work (on a purchase order--so, like I said, I'm no use when it comes to the prices).  I remember that the people were nice and very helpful, though, and they had all kinds of spinning stuff.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.etsy.com/NilaCeramics
Buttons, dishes, pretty things
bubba*tink

there's nuffin loik a warm cable-knit necklace

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2007 09:28:47 AM »

Yep, Yankee Trader is still open!  There's also a little store like it on Goodale Ave (I'm not exactly sure what cross-street it's on, but it's between northwest and grandview ave...) called Star Beacon.  It's got some crafty supplies and lots of party goodness like yankee trader.

There's this awesome new little consignment store in the Short North called TigerTree, run by two really awesome kids.  They sell wallets and clothes and random cute crafty things, and the set-up is really awesome too!

http://www.columbusalive.com/?sec=living&story=alive/2007/0503/l-crouching.html

It's on 17 E. Brickel St., right near Pistachio, the delectable yummified bakery!

Speaking of yummy goodies, have you been to Piece of Cake?  DEEELIcious cakes and pastries and sandwiches.  It's also in the Short North, on 772 N. High St.

And in Grandview, across the street of Giant Eagle on 5th, there's another awesome bakery called The French Loaf...utterly yummy pastries and cakes also!  ohhh yummy pastries...I love me some cheese danishes...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I can tell you, Fall is composed of

1 part dead fish smell
1 part wet leaves
1 part arctic chilled air (not winter chilled variety)
2 parts crunchy walking
a pinch very cold rain
some apples you picked yourself
a few very still moments
a good deal of inner reflection
sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2007 09:30:10 AM »

Piece of Cake is nummmmy!  We've met with them and are 95% sure we are going to choose them as our wedding cake baker.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bubba*tink

there's nuffin loik a warm cable-knit necklace

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2007 09:37:51 AM »

yes!  We had our wedding cakes made there, they were really delicious...We just wanted simple normal cakes, but they still made them really pretty.  I had a yellow cake with strawberries and cream cheese icing, and my husby had a chocolate cake. 

Really really creamy and delicious, really the most perfect cake I've ever had!  But it could've been the magic of the evening...Grin

so, Sweets, when's the wedding date?
« Last Edit: June 02, 2007 09:38:10 AM by bubba*tink » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I can tell you, Fall is composed of

1 part dead fish smell
1 part wet leaves
1 part arctic chilled air (not winter chilled variety)
2 parts crunchy walking
a pinch very cold rain
some apples you picked yourself
a few very still moments
a good deal of inner reflection
sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 02, 2007 10:45:19 AM »

yes!  We had our wedding cakes made there, they were really delicious...We just wanted simple normal cakes, but they still made them really pretty.  I had a yellow cake with strawberries and cream cheese icing, and my husby had a chocolate cake. 

Really really creamy and delicious, really the most perfect cake I've ever had!  But it could've been the magic of the evening...Grin

so, Sweets, when's the wedding date?

I seriously think your post just sealed the deal for us. Cheesy  Do you have photos of yours somewhere?

August 26! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kiesha
« Reply #29 on: September 01, 2007 05:35:43 PM »

As far as restaurants go, there's Northstar Cafe in the Short North that is fan-bloody-tastic. They do vegan and vegetarian stuff, but there are also not afraid of chicken and meat. Get the Buddha Bowl, it's delicious!

Pistachio's is the place to go for lovely desserts and pastries. They were in the Short North also, but they are moving to German Village (they may already be there) on 3rd street, between Katzinger's and Book Loft.

The trifecta of bars that are Betty's (Short North), Surly Girl Saloon (Short North) and Tip Top Kitchen and Cocktails (Downtown) are THE hippest bars in town.

There's a cool place at the Easton Mall called Francesca's. I'm not sure if they're independent or not, but they have really cool clothes and soaps and journals and jewelry and all sorts of stuff.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Jim Benton Draws His Character Franny K. Stein
Sonya Chung Talks About Long for This World
The UltraMind Solution Book Trailer
Tim Gunn Reveals a Few Tips and Greets Fans
Meet Author Daisy Fuentes
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...