A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 300,941
Currently Running With Scissors:
714 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: what are your favorite independent stores in Columbus??  (Read 8023 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

choirgirl
melodramatic photographer

View Profile WWW
« on: November 02, 2005 08:26:52 AM »

Hello all,
Since I probably never would have found out about Wholly Craft if I hadn't read about it here, I thought it might be fun if we all shared the rest of our favorite Columbus independent/local/unique shops, restaurants, etc. There could be a bunch of neat places that some of us don't know about!

Or, if anyone knows about such a guide that exists already, kindly direct me to it. If there isn't, would anyone like to help me put one together?

-Kristen
THIS ROCKS   Logged

choirgirl

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2005 08:34:54 AM »

Yeah, I realized that I forgot to put up MY list:

*Book Loft
*Chef-o-nette
*Fabulous yarn shop in Dublin (I forget the name!!! It is on Dublin's High Street [not Columbus High St] a few blocks south of 161.)
*Raisin Rack
*Tri-Village Trading Post (thrift store at First Community Church in Grandview)

More to come when I have more time! How about you?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

blueteabag
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2005 04:12:13 PM »

Ursus in Upper Arlington (Fishinger and Riverside Dr) is great. www.ursusartspace.com
THIS ROCKS   Logged
choirgirl

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2005 08:05:24 AM »

Aw, nobody else? Sad
THIS ROCKS   Logged

blueteabag
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2005 03:09:34 PM »

Ok...
There's also the Short North. There's a place called "CowTown Art" that has local artist/crafter stuff. LOTS of other great shops in that area. I can't remember the name of it, but there's a teeny-tiny, lovely bath/toiletries type shop. Also, while you're shopping around in the Short North... stop for some tea at Zen Cha. It's incredible.

Where else??... There's also Grandview. There's a VERY expensive, but inspiring little boutique called Princepessa on Grandview Ave... just a few doors down from Stauff's Coffee shop.

Some one else mentioned the Book Loft. Man, I haven't been there in a LONG time... but it is one of the best places in Columbus. If you've never been, you MUST go! Then, hop over to Cup O Joe for a treat.

Oh yeah... how could I forget Bytantium?? The fabulous bead shop on High Street near the Short North.

That's all I can think of for now. If I think of any more.... I'll post 'em!

~Melissa

ps/ I'm going to check out Wholly Craft next week and see about selling some of my blueteabag plastic tile necklaces!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mrpickles
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2005 06:39:03 PM »

Wholly Craft is awesome!  Also like SoBo Style in Clintonville and love the recently remodeled WEXNER CENTER Bookshop!  Looking forward to the Surly Girl Saloon Opening in the Short North!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mizuiro
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2005 01:17:29 PM »

I've been knitting a lot recently, and I like near Easton mall.  Because of gas prices I can't get to Byzantium and places like that very often on my income, but there's a lot of crafty stores on the NE side I can get to fairly quickly.

Knitter's Mercantile in Graceland shopping center.  They're nice and there's a nice 40% off section where I can almost always find stuff to buy. Some of the non sale items are extremely reasonable too. 

Gahanna Bead Shop on E Johnstown RD (I can't remember exactly!) It's not quite Byzantium, and they sell by the piece, which is handly if you just need one stone or pendant.  They also have seed beads and seed bead mixes I haven't found at Byzantium before, like Japanese magatama mixes that I didn't htink I could find locally.

The Yarn Shop in Kenny Center, down the street from Borders Books - I'd heard that the employees here were cranky, but I haven't found this to be the case.  They're very nice, and it's a nice big store with lots to choose from, plus comfortable places to sit and get some knitting done.

All four of these places have a frequent buyer program set up, with varying amounts of discount.  I haven't gotten to take advantage of them because I haven't bought that much lately.

I think the yarn shop in Dublin is called Temptations.  I haven't been there yet, but I've seen pics of it on someone's blog and it looks fabulous (and close to where I work too).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Got Blog?  So do I:  http://yeahiknit.blogspot.com/
Panik
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2006 04:56:37 PM »

ah that wexner center book store is crazy, I think I go in there and drool on their collection of art books and magazines a little to often...since i never really buy anything (rather expensive) I think they might get annoyed or something. haha.

if I had money I'd buy a large portion of that store.
sunflower foods is good and decently priced for health/vegan friendly food.

wow I've never been to or even heard of Bytantium but I'll definitely have to check it out sometime.
there's this cute little gift/jewlery/other stuff shop on high street near bernie's and the wexner center...I think it's called Ruby's? They have really neat stuff in there! And an awesome cat...

Is the book loft that used book store on high street that is sort of messy and cluttered with a little cat...or maybe dog...lounging around inside? I think I've been in there once, such an awesome place with tons of character!

Do any of you know of antique shops in the campus/clintonville/short north area? basically anywhere along high street? I'm not much of a shopper but I could gawk at interesting old stuff for hours.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2006 05:01:23 PM by Panik » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Bigmouth

Lisa at heart

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2006 07:45:17 PM »

Is the book loft that used book store on high street that is sort of messy and cluttered with a little cat...or maybe dog...lounging around inside? I think I've been in there once, such an awesome place with tons of character!
It's on 3rd St. (just east of High).  It's not actually a used book store (though it has somewhat of a reputation as one), there's no cat right now--and if you stop in, say hi!  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.etsy.com/NilaCeramics
Buttons, dishes, pretty things
sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2006 05:58:51 PM »

Ahh... great thread!  I'll definitely have to check these places out!  Cheesy  I live in Reynoldsburg.

By the way... here's a link to the Book Loft!  Smiley http://www.bookloft.com/
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Vintage Style Makeup Makeover
Short Hair Styling Makeover
Long Hair Makeover
Home Makeup and Hair Tips
Wedding Hairstyle Ideas
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...