A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 302,576
Currently Running With Scissors:
771 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Hand-Made Black Etching Paper (With Tutorial, However sans Pics)  (Read 1068 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ForevrBee
« on: October 27, 2005 02:33:21 PM »

The stuff that's all colorful with Black stuff on top, that you "etch" with a pencil/pen to get to the colors. I remember those from a young age & after seeing leaf shaped ornaments of the stuff, I got the idea of making my own paper. An experiment of sorts (maybe I'll find better materials to use)

What it requiers:
  • Paper (I used Computer paper
  • Inks(Pens, Markers. I used Dye ink pads in two different color sets)
  • Some form of Laminate (I used packaging tape)
  • Black acrylic paint (I'm weary of it peeling, but like I said above...)

I took the paper & laid it on a flat surface (like a magazine) so the inks wouldn't leak through onto the table, then with my inks, covered the paper in the inks from the pads (alternating between the two, plus not all of it seeped through, so don't worry about getting it all covered, I think the "white" is just a characteristic of the paper) I let it dry, then cover the paper with the laminate.
Now here comes the messy stuff & Make sure to cover your clothing & work surface. Also make sure have a dish/bowl of water to wash your brush off. Just cover the whole thing with the paint & let it dry. Once it has dried, now you can get out pen/pencil to use & etch out any thing.

I don't have any pics yet, as We're trying to get the scanner working, but as soon as it's working, I'll get the pics out.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Damn the Man, Save the Empire!"
  ~Mark, Empire Records
rosered

terror of the highseas

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2005 10:56:19 AM »

I make my own scratchboard all the time! Here's my recepie for how I like to make mine.

Things you need:
Some paper (I usually go for white bristol board as it holds up better than regular paper, although if you want coloured bristol feel free to try it out)
Parraffin wax (It usually comes in boxes and is little pebbles of wax. I always find it with canning stuff at the supermarket)
some waxed paper
an iron
a tin pie plate
an old paintbrush (you don't mind ruining)
a new paint brush
a bottle of ink (I like speedball permanent black)

Cut the bristol board into the size you want the scratchboards to be. Then you need to melt the wax. Put the pie tin on the top of the oven and turn it to low. Pour some of the parrafin wax into the tin. Using the old paintbrush, stir the wax so it will melt fully. Be careful to keep the heat low so the wax doesn't burn. Once it's melted fully, use the old paintbrush to "paint" the wax onto your sheet of bristol paper. Don't worry if it's thick in some spots and bumpy in others, just get the whole piece covered with wax. Then take a piece of waxed paper and put it wax down ontop of the paper with the dried wax on it. This part you need to do quickly. Take the heated iron and swipe it over the waxed paper on the paper really quickly. That should smooth the wax out and make it all even. Try not to go over it too many times, or you will spread the wax too thin and it won't work properly. Peel the waxed paper off. Let it dry. Once the wax on the bristol paper has dried fully, take your new paintbrush and paint a layer of ink over it. The ink might try to collect together and not want to spread out over the whole piece of waxed bristol, but keep trying to spread it out and add more ink if you need to. Once you have it as covered as you can get it, let it dry. And there you have it. Some fantastic scratchboard. You can always cut it to smaller pieces if you like, and the ink scratches off very easily. It's delicate paper, but the ink won't ever flake off like it does with store bought scratchboard paper. I have some wooden tools that are supposed to be for modeling clay that I like to use to draw on the scratchboard with.

I hope that helped you all out. If you have any other questions, or my directions aren't clear enough, just let me know and I'll try to straighten it out for you.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Bestselling Author Pam Jenoff Talks About Almost Home
Learn More About the Book So Stressed
Meet Novelist Chris Cleave
Brando Skyhorse Reveals His Favorite Song
Richard Morais Talks About His Novel the Hundred-Foot Journey
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...