A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 299,129
Currently Running With Scissors:
615 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Makeshift Embroidery Hoop for Instant Embroidering Gratification  (Read 4781 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

recycled_earth

Forget the llamas. Gimme some hedgehog love.

View Profile WWW
« on: November 01, 2005 11:51:16 PM »

Since I've  been lurking here for quite some time, I figured it was time to jump in and post something for the good of humankind.  Or crafterkind, anyway.  And who among us hasn't been somewhere totally boring with nothing to do?  If you find yourself stuck at a family gathering with nothing to do, and you search your purse and find needles and embroidery thread (come on, admit it - you carry this stuff in your purse, too) but no embroidery hoop, what do you do?  Do you venture to embroider little skulls on Grandma's good tea towels without a stabilizer like a hoop?  Or can you improvise and come up with something useful just by maiming a few common items in Grandma's kitchen?

Why, you do the DIY thing, of course.  You come up with something usefeul.  By maiming.

Here's what you need:

-A Cool Whip tub (or other similar flimsy plastic tub with a suitable sized lid)
-A kitchen knife (don't hurt yourself here)
-A pair of scissors (but not Grandma's good fabric scissors - spare her some grief)
-A few large clothespins

Start by assembling your materials.  I used a 12 oz. Cool Whip tub (EXTRA creamy, of course).  Make sure the lid you have is the correct lid for that bowl.  If it doesn't fit firmly, this whole scheme won't work.

Carefully cut out the inside of the lid with the knife, so that all you're left with is the rim.  Cut just inside the lip.

Then (again, carefully) cut just below the lip of the tub part, so that again what you're left with is just a ring of plastic.  Refer to the picture for the correct placement of the cut.

Then - ta-da! - you have two rings that look like this.  Now would be a good time to trim them with the scissors a little to get rid of all of those jagged edges so they don't poke ya in the fingers.  I only bug you about safety because I care.

Now, fit your piece of fabric between the two rings and push them together.  They should fit together firmly like they did before you sliced them up.  You'll have to fiddle with the fabric to get it taut, but don't get lazy.  If it's not taut, it'll be much harder to work with.  Come on, we're almost done!

Now get those ginormous clothes pins that all grandmas seem to have for some reason, and attach them at intervals all around the hoop.  Since the Cool Whip tub wasn't made to be an embroidery hoop, it will have a tendency to seperate if you don't lay down the law and make it stay together.

Et voila!  You have your very own plastic embroidery hoop!  It's not a permanent solution, but it'll get you through those long, boring family visits.  Have fun!
« Last Edit: November 02, 2005 12:18:31 AM by recycled_earth » THIS ROCKS   Logged

If I die before I learn to speak, will money pay for all the days I lived awake but half-asleep?   -Primitive Radio Gods

UK crafters unite!  www.craftermath.co.uk
kiki*eks
"Alis volat propiis"

if i'm online i am procrastinating

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2005 12:43:23 AM »

OMG! that is just fantastic  Shocked
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The Pink Ladies Pledge is to act cool, to look cool and to be cool, till death do us part, Think Pink!
DevilDoll
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2005 12:48:01 AM »

very cool!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Chrislea
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2005 04:00:06 AM »

Now THAT is clever.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
recycled_earth

Forget the llamas. Gimme some hedgehog love.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2005 07:50:19 AM »

Why, thank you all.  I've actually been using this today without the clothes pins, and it seems that as long as you aren't jostling it about it'll hold without them.  Necessity is indeed the mother of invention.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If I die before I learn to speak, will money pay for all the days I lived awake but half-asleep?   -Primitive Radio Gods

UK crafters unite!  www.craftermath.co.uk
askaboutrpickles
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

* i AM a very stylish girl *

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2005 08:38:50 PM »

awesome! then you can store things in the tub too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
http://www.cannibalizejewelry.etsy.com
http://www.leannealaman.weebly.com

Boycott SHAMpoo, demand real poo!
Chelsea
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2005 12:35:44 PM »

For those little tiny patterns you could use a yogurt cup.  That is, if they still come with a lid.  I always get Dannon Light and Fit (just tastes the best to me) and they stopped putting the lids on them...although it might be temporary.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
makewrite
makewrite

Dewey drives the supertrain!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2006 12:07:56 PM »

Thankyou so much! This is a great idea, I made one to help me learn embroidery! I'm really encouraged to keep trying now, since it was much easier with your hoop!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Elevator Makeover - Theodore Responds to Your Style Questions and Comments
Elevator Makeover - Theodore Leaf Responds to Viewer Questions
3 Habits That Damage Your Hair and How to Avoid Them
Celebrity Hair Trend: Braided Chignon
Jennifer Aniston Sports Shorter Hair Cut
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Mini Book Jewelry
Handmade Gift Ideas: Bunny Travel Pillow
Tute Tuesday: Cross Stitched Sewing Box

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...