A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,042
Currently Running With Scissors:
512 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: knitting a VERY large circumference  (Read 566 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

box of purls
« on: November 01, 2005 07:19:18 PM »

Okay, I've looked through my books, did a search on Dogpile.com, on craftster, and read the knitting FAQ's and I haven't found this and I"m not really sure how to word what I am needing help with....So here goes: I am knitting a very very large circumference in the round and I am running out of room on the longest length of circulars I could find (or I think they make 36") so my question is what do I do now?  Can you knit in the round with two circulars or is it a big hassle, or is it like using dpns? 
Thanks

Amanda
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Lucrecia42
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2005 07:21:26 PM »

you could use multiple circulars and it would be essentially like using multiple double pointed needles.  Its not reallly that big of a pain, thought the little plastic parts between the points cause the stitches to slide around a lot

-Lucrecia42
THIS ROCKS   Logged
box of purls
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2005 07:24:57 PM »

so maybe using 2 large circs would be all right? 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jax3303
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2005 07:50:35 PM »

How many inches is the circ you're using ? How long of one do you think you'll need? Addi turbo's go up to 60". If you don't want to buy a longer circ, using 2 circs would probably work alright, but I would imagine that it would be a huge PITA.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

box of purls
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2005 05:40:23 AM »

The one I am currently using is 36" I do believe.  I think a 60" would be perfect (hopefully not too too short) and I love Addi Turbos...so great but I can't afford to buy any new needles right now really.  I was thinking that just 2 circs would be a pain too, but maybe 3 or more like Lucrecia said might work better.  I'm making a huge blanket in the round and I thought my needles would hold more or I underestimated how big the blanket was going to be. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
girlypirate
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

my arms are too short to box with God.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2005 06:37:11 AM »

the girlfromauntie site has a lasagne scarf that caused me to use 4 36" long circulars for the outer ruffle and it worked out beautifully.  a pain in the ass, but beautifully nonetheless.  and the circulars hang onto the stitches much better than any dpn i've ever used.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
box of purls
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2005 12:29:42 PM »

wow.  I was going to try just 2 maybe three depending on what I already had.  I think circulars hang on to stitches better too, I had to redo a whole sock one time because half my stitches came off the needle.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
aggiecorgi
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2005 01:48:39 PM »

I have some interchangable needles (Boyl I think) that you can connect many cords together. You could always buy a few cords and connect them all together. At my hobby lobby it's $3 per cord, as well as $3 per needle tip.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
box of purls
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2005 03:58:57 PM »

I've seen the boyle interchangeable needles, I was actually in Hobby Lobby today.  I am using 3 circs right now and so far it's working hopefully this will get me through the second half of the blanket.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Wooden Chain
Here Kitty, Kitty!
Meatless Monday: Vegan, Raw, Gluten Free Chocolate Bars

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...