A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 298,766
Currently Running With Scissors:
622 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Please tell me your favorite recipe book(s)!  (Read 1367 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

CraftyChef

Am I retired yet?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2005 09:08:54 AM »

If you want a good, basic book for today's cooking, Mark Bittman's "How to Cook Everything" is one of the best.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Phizzychick
Paper Crafts, Scrapbooking, and ATCs Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2005 09:40:54 AM »

Whilst in Ireland a few years ago I was lucky enough to eat at the Avoca cafe. The food was amazing so I went straight to the shop and bought their cookbook! Everything in it is superb, especially the variety of soups and breads!

I'm adding the vol.2 to my Christmas list!

http://www.avoca.ie/productdetails.shtml?subdept_id=48&category_id=&product_id=18&start_page=0&keyword=&product_id=18
THIS ROCKS   Logged

patriautism
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2005 09:47:17 AM »

The most useful cookbook I have is The Clueless Vegetarian by Evelyn Raab. I'm not vegetarian, I just wanted to do something different with my veggies. It's a very laid back book, every recipe I've tried is wonderful and way easy.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

laureg

*alchemist extraordinaire*

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2005 01:13:12 PM »

I LOVE cookbooks. it sounds weird, but i love reading them, almost like novels. i find i'll pick one up to look for a recipe, then find myself leafing through the whole thing for ideas, ingredients, etc.

i adore nigella lawson's books, and her first four (how to be a domestic goddess, how to eat, nigella bites and forever summer) are FANTASTIC. her last one, feast, is okay- but i find that a lot of the food in there is just variations of her other stuff. these books are a very interesting read as well- she was actually a journalist first (and not a trained chef) so she's also quite an entertaining wordsmith. she encourages one to play around and experiment, and she talks about approximations, drinking cocktails while cooking- great stuff! they are my absolute favorites to date.

the moosewood cookbook. great vegetarian stuff (even if you're not a veggie, like me).

the sophia loren cookbook. great, great italian food. the recipes aren't fussy at all to prepare, use simple ingredients that are (for the most part) readily available or easily substituted, and is a great italian primer for simple, tasty meals. her running dialogues about her movies and what not are a bit over the top, but hey. she's a legend. 

if you need a good, basic cookbook: the better homes and gardens one (red gingham cover, like a small binder). it'll tell you everything you need to know about basic stuff that will please most people. there are pictures for every recipe and variations, hints, recipe troubleshooting, etc.

for reference: the reader's digest cookbook (old- if you can find a second hand one somewhere, snap it up!!!). it tells you EVERYTHING you could possibly ever want to know about cooking.

also, the joy of of cooking- excellent for reference. very handy to have around, if you want to experiment and need to know baking times, ingredients, etc.

julia child's books are also great.

another idea that has worked really well for me is getting a large three ring binder, some dividers and making your own recipe book. i like sites like epicurious.com, yumyum.com, cooks.com, etc. the amount of recipes on the internet is staggering, and i like to take some favorites that i've found and put together my own collection, flagging the ones i use most often.

i hope that helps!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

you are not the boss of me
cataway

we love puddin tats and runny babbits!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2005 05:55:56 PM »

My favorites tend to be the ones made for local fundraisers they are comprised of recipes collected from families in the local area. They are recipes that these families love and eat regularily, and because they are submitted by your neighbors you know that the ingredients are available as well.  My most recent aquisition was from my children's school for a parent advisory council fundraiser and I use it constantly
THIS ROCKS   Logged
PlayItGeorge
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2005 02:53:11 PM »

I use Cooking for Two: 120 Recipes often, along with Dave Lieberman's Young and Hungry, and Rachael Ray's Comfort Foods, Veggie Meals, and 365: No Repeats.  I have MasterCook software which is FANTASTIC, and this website is great too, you don't have to have MasterCook to use it (read the directions).

http://madsrecipes.com/
THIS ROCKS   Logged

8littlepaws.wordpress.com
motleykitten

Fuck nosejobs. Jewish Noses are HOT!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2005 09:18:02 PM »

The best cookbook IMO is Babe's Country Cookbook!!!! It is based on the movie "Babe," with the adorable little pig. All the recipes are vegetarian (lacto-ovo), but they are stick-to-your-ribs, country-style American foods that even meat-atarians will love. I have tried almost all of the recipes and they all have "worked." Cause you know sometimes you try a recipe and it doesn't work, or it tastes crappy. Some of my faves are:
poppyseed bread with lemon butter glaze
hashbrowns with cream and wild mushrooms
avocado-tomato-mushroom salad with country mustard vinagrette
and angel hair pasta with roasted red bell pepper sauce and goat cheese.
There are even cute little stories that go with each recipe to tie the book into the movie. Of course, it doesn't have Jamie Oliver's cutie pie face on it, but you could always tape one on! Hee hee.   Roll Eyes
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Up yours, young people. You and your rock and roll 8-track tapes!
crazyjayblue

living for summer

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2005 10:02:35 PM »

I'm all over the "How it all Vegan" and it's sequal "The Garden of Vegan"
Easy, yummy veggie recipes that will impress any omnivore!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Easy Homemade Barbecue Sauce Recipe
BBQ Baked Beans Recipe
Secrets to the Perfect Burger
How to Shape a Burger
How to Extend the Life of Your Leftover Burgers with Bacon
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Dark Chocolate Bacon Pecan Pie
Amazing Altered Puzzles
Meatless Monday: Cottage Cheese Mousse

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...