A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 296,760
Currently Running With Scissors:
510 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Lace fingerless glove (pattern + instructions)  (Read 65366 times)
Tags for this thread: fingerless_gloves , pattern  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

meexie
« on: May 15, 2004 03:39:11 PM »

Knitted with two strands of laceweight merino held together in Barbara Walker's Rick Rib.  Sorta 80's.  It's way too hot here to wear it right now!  I knitted this to submit to Knitty - the editor responded with "very creative but not 'Knitty'" - to be fair, since it was for the "Sex and the Knitty" issue, there was a pouf of eyelash yarn on the palm, which could look tacky; the upside  is the pattern is written out all nice and neat.
(this post has been edited to clarify submission situation)

Fingerless Lace Glove

SIZE
S [M,L,XL]
FINISHED MEASUREMENTS
Glove
Hand (stretched): 5.5 [6,6.5,7.5,8] inches
Length: (stretched) 7

MATERIALS
[MC] Skacel Merino Lace [100% fine merino wool, shrink resistant; 1375yds/m per 100g skein]
color: black; 1 skein [this project uses less than 10g of yarn]
1 set US #2/2.75mm straight needles
GAUGE
28sts/34 rows = 4 in rick rib, unstretched
PATTERN
Glove is worked with two strands of MC held together.
wyib = with yarn in back
wyif = with yarn in front
Using MC and US#2 needles, CO 30 [32, 34, 38, 40] sts. 
Rows 1-4: work 1x1 ribbing (*k1, p1*)
Row 5: k1, *yo, sl 1 wyib, k1, psso; rep from *, end k1
Row 6: p1, *yo, sl 1 wyif, p1, psso, rep fr *, end p1
Rows 7 68: repeat rows 5 6
Row 69: *k2, p2* for four rows.  Bind off very, very loosely.

FINISHING
Glove: Wash and gently block (dont pin it out); fabric will relax and expand.  When dry, fold in half so that 1x1 ribbing is at the top and 2x2 ribbing is at the bottom.  Sew 2seam at the top (ribbing + 7 pattern repeats), 3.25 at bottom (ribbing + 11 pattern repeats). Weave in all ends.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2007 12:35:47 AM by meexie » THIS ROCKS   Logged
jenharned

* (jin)1. the girl. 2. a trap or snare

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2004 09:16:27 AM »

um, okay, i think it's very "knitty"! try submitting it to magknits instead- they're hip!
anyway, i think those are great. i know a few ladies who will go gaga over these in, say, day-glo orange, to match their teal 80's pumps!
thanks for the pattern!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
knittygirl
Crafty Girl who dables in the needle arts

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2004 03:16:40 PM »

I would have to say that i personally think that mag knits is not hip and if you read it knitty is very hip,i personally think that if you submit to knitty the pattern is going to get noticed,i would submit it to knitty,i am going to make one or two for some friends,i would definatley go knitty not magknits as nice as magknits is i dont think its as large or well known as knitty would be

I love these gloves though

Cheerio
Jocelyn Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

meexie
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2004 03:36:14 PM »

try submitting it to magknits instead- they're hip!
Thanks!  I hadn't thought of that, I was so obsessed with getting it done in time for the Knitty Summer deadline...the deadline for MagKnits Chilly issue was the 15th and by posting both pattern and photo of finished project here, this particular pattern is no longer submittable. I sent a proposal for items that would involve a modification of this pattern; hopefully it will still be considered even though it's late.  *update* - the one email address I could find on the site turned out to be for someone doing a special project for MagKnits.  I can't find specific contact info for the editor or the submissions package to download, and the "click here to sign up for our newsletter!" gets a 404 error page. 

My teenaged sister has claimed the glove as her own, and wants to know when I'm knitting her another one.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2004 12:16:14 PM by meexie » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Jessie
Goodmorning Starshine the Earth says HELLO!

Jazzzzmataz

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2004 09:54:03 PM »

DUDE!! Im thinkin your fingerless gloves are totally knitty! Ive been wanting a pair of gloves like that FOREVER! But Im not really a knitter.....hmmm... do have any advice on where i can go to become educated in the ways of knitting?? (TEE-HEE!) Thanks
THIS ROCKS   Logged
meexie
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2004 02:54:06 PM »

This is the second version, almost complete, done in a chunky yarn on bigger needles.  It's a cotton that doesn't stretch much, so I probably won't make another one with it. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
krampalicious

fire in the disco!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2004 12:34:29 PM »

those are hott like whoa.  they remind me of the gloves karen o of the yeah yeah yeahs wears.  most excellent.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kerrie
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2004 03:57:55 AM »

Hi there - I'm guessing that you weren't interested in my suggestion for MagKnits submission but in case you didn't receive the email (I had a few probs last month) or want to change your mind - let me know at my magknits.com email address..

I'm working on something that you might be able to help with..

take care
Kerrie
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ysolda
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2004 05:06:31 AM »

ooh they're cute, iv'e been meaning to try making some lacy thingerless gloves - i want them in cotton but stretchy... i might find a lace pattern thats quite elastic... once i finish my lace knee high socks... i get bored of lace pretty quickly, takes too much concentration... can't knit and read at the same time oh well... if i do try it il post pics once they're done Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

knitting patterns and all sorts of  crafty adventures: http://ysolda.me.uk
himeykitty
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2004 10:06:01 AM »

i want them in cotton but stretchy... i might find a lace pattern thats quite elastic

Or you could use Cascade Fixation, which is cotton with a little bit of lycra.  Elann has an equivalent yarn too, called Sock It To Me Esprit.  It's good stuff.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Add me to the list of knitbloggers:
http://kittyknit.blogspot.com
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Crochet a 5 Stitch Ruffle Border
How to Crochet a 4 Inch Hole Christmas Tree Skirt Part 2/3
How to Crochet a 5 Chain Ruffle Border
How to Crochet a 4 Inch Hole Christmas Tree Skirt Part 3/3
How to Crochet a 5 Inch Hole Christmas Tree Skirt Part 1/3
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Quick and Easy Organizer
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...