A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 297,052
Currently Running With Scissors:
544 Guests and 30 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: inexpensive large staff gifts (candy cane covers etc.)  (Read 5023 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

craftyteri
« on: October 31, 2005 07:49:46 PM »

I work in an elementary school with 40 plus staff members.  In the past I have put a homemade bar of soap (my cousin makes them and they are really nice but expensive) , candles,  and last year just plain candy canes in their mailboxes as my Christmas greeting/gift.  I'd like ideas for this year that are not super time consuming but cute and homeade. And inexpensive to boot.  Sounds like a tall order doesn't it? It was easier when I worked in a school with a staff of 11!  I was thinking of doing something with candy canes again only maybe with a decoration on them this time. I'll take any ideas I can get from you all.
Thanks! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
PepsiTwist
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2005 07:56:27 PM »

Well when i think of candy canes with decorations i think of the little candy cane mice, or you could do the little candy train made of diff types of candy...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
TheBon

We are without leeches or wenches.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2005 09:27:15 PM »

I have on several occasions made candy cane reigndeer. You need red [or brown pompoms - wee ones], google eyes and pipe cleaners. You cut a length of pipe cleaner, fold it in half around the candy cane and twist it, then add smaller pieces off those to make branches on the antlers. Then you glue on the eyes [hot glue works well] and the noses on the short end of the candy cane. You can add little pipe cleaner scarves as well, or glitter in the antlers, etc. You could even add little brown felt ears.

This diagram shows it well: http://usscouts.org/bbugle/bb0411/bbff_files/image002.gif
THIS ROCKS   Logged

graphic designer, illustrator, all around nerd.

my wists!
I take pictures everywhere!
llamalu
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2005 04:47:12 PM »

if you are handy on the computer-make up your own candy wrapper with holiday message and clip art to cover candy bars, roll of mints, packs of gum etc. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
copodenieve
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2005 12:26:37 PM »

I enjoy making the chocolates from the molds...they are super easy and I've always gotten compliments on them.  The best part is one is sufficient for each person.  They don't take a lot of time, mostly just melt it and put it in the fridge for a little bit.  If you enjoy baking you could also make some cookies on a stick...just ice them and write happy holidays on them.

I like the candy cane idea, but I get really sick of candy canes around christmas because everyone gives them out!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"No life is a waste. The only time we waste is the time we spend thinking we are alone." Mitch Albom
batgirl
Global Moderator
Occasions and Holidays Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Part Librarian, Part Superhero

Stop Pinning, Start Making.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2005 12:29:12 PM »

You could make little Christmas magnets, like the marble magnets using holiday themes. Or some type of easy handmade ornament?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Just added lots of new items! Use coupon code "craftster" for 10% off! http://www.LilyLovesBernie.etsy.com
 50 Things
sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2005 02:00:57 PM »

You could make little Christmas magnets, like the marble magnets using holiday themes. Or some type of easy handmade ornament?

Ohh.. I love the marble magnets!  great idea.  You can get little tins in bulk too, to package them in.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster has gone mobile!!  Read the news here.[/center]
sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2005 02:03:02 PM »

I like this thread.. I have a department of 12 under me & I would like to give them something, as well as all of the managers in the building.  So, about 30 gifts in total.  Mine would have to be "Holiday" gifts, rather than Christmas though... because we have a plethora of religions in the building.

I do like the magnets tho..
Hmm.. what else...

I saw bath cookies in the health thread, I think.  They sounded NEAT!  Maybe make a few batches & wrap them in cellophane.  (they are choco chip cookies that melt in the bath water..mmm..lovely!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster has gone mobile!!  Read the news here.[/center]
batgirl
Global Moderator
Occasions and Holidays Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Part Librarian, Part Superhero

Stop Pinning, Start Making.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2005 02:32:27 PM »

Nest posted a good idea about making reed fragrance diffusers, along with sources. They might be a bit pricey for larger groups, but not so bad for smaller ones.
Someone else also posted a really nice idea about "wish ornaments" and boxes recently.

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=61434.0

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=60382.0

« Last Edit: November 05, 2005 02:35:36 PM by batgirl » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Just added lots of new items! Use coupon code "craftster" for 10% off! http://www.LilyLovesBernie.etsy.com
 50 Things
boarderchic
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2005 11:22:29 PM »

Remember those little horse heads on sticks that we used to ride around on as kids (or as bored college students in kmart's toy dept...  Wink )??  Well, I've seen candy cane covers made to look like toy horse heads then slipped over the top of the cane to make a tiny toy horsey thing.  It's just 2 pieces of felt cut out in the shape of a horse head profile, then decorated with eyes, ribbon, frilly ribbon for a mane, etc.  They turn out really cute, I'll have to try to get a picture, but I know all the xmas stuff is buried...  Undecided
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
2009 Holiday Baeble Music Indie Music Special
The Worst Cover Songs Ever
David Garrett Interview
Classical Pianist Lang Lang Interview
The Auto-Win Blackjack Table
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Decoupaged Table Top
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...