A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 297,042
Currently Running With Scissors:
618 Guests and 31 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: New Domesticity Gallery Show in the works!!!  (Read 477 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

girlwonder
« on: October 31, 2005 10:53:41 AM »

I am planning a Gallery show for sometime in the next year that deals with the third wave of feminism and the new domesticy. I am at the very beginning stages and am working on a proposal to send to galleries and to apply for funding. The idea started because of a class of gallery studies I am taking in school this sememset. By the end of the semester I must have my proposal preg_replace('/(.{19})/', '$1 ', 'completed...so...what') I am looking for from the kind people at craftster.org as well as some other crafting/art websites is artists and galleries that all of you think fit this genre. This could be someone who isnpires you and whose art you feel is in direct response to the idea of new domesticity or it could be yourself as well! I am looking for artists that use traditional "crafting" techniques within their fine art peices and galleries that are likely to want to promote this type of art.

I guess this sounds partially vague but for now my ideas are pretty vague...Smiley. Any help is greatly appreciated! thanks

-gracie/girlwonder
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Gracie Girlwonder

"A vagabond, when rich, is called a tourist." -unknown

"To be somebody, a woman does not have to be more like a man, but has to be more of a woman." Sally E. Shaywitz, neuroscientist
minouette
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2005 02:35:03 PM »

Hello gracie/girlwonder,

I find your post intriguing, but yes, a little vague. I'm curious about what you mean by "new domesticity". You post reminded me of an exhibit by the Canadian artist Joyce Wieland (see for instance http://www.artnet.com/library/09/0914/T091496.asp  or http://www.ccca.ca/artists/image_timeline.html?languagePref=en&link_id=276&artist=Joyce+Wieland) I saw when I was very young. She decided to use quilting to create art to re-claim types of art that were traditionally written off as merely crafts (as if anything could be "merely" a craft) and women's work. This exhibit made a big impression on me (and instilled me with a fuller appreciation of crafts).

Is this the type of thing you are thinking of? When did the "new domesticity" begin? For that matter, I'm a bit fuzzy on when the 3rd wave of feminism hit. Perhaps a bit more backaground would help people to respond to your post.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I opened an Etsy shop! Come visit http://minouette.etsy.com

(I have a wist too: http://minouette.wists.com)
girlwonder
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2005 03:08:52 PM »

well...you actually hit the nail on the head...my problem is that I'm finding it difficult to articulate what I'm trying to do...writing isn't my strong point and I feel a lot of anxiety about this project as it is a LOT of writing...but here is the new domesticity manifesto from Jean Railla who does getcrafty.com...it really articulates better than I can what the term New Domesticity means- http://getcrafty.com/blogs.php?user=jean&entry=598

I personally believe that the third wave of feminism hit in the early 90's but it was brewing long before that. The Riot Grrl movement in the punk and feminist scenes at that time helped to create a desire to be "girly" and to embrace all of the things that were being denied them by the idea that a true feminist should not be Domestic. Feminists stared to wear makeup again and be ok with it as well as started to do really domestic things that were motivated by being part of a DIY movement. They wanted to be able to sew their own clothes, make their own meals, and grow their own veggies as well as build shelves and fix their cars. There are a ton of artists out there that are doing work that centers around this idea...such as jenny hart from sublime stichery. She's doing fine art embroidery...it's fabulous...and SO domestic! anyway...I guess your questions kind of helped me clarify my thoughts a little...thanks!

Now I'm going to go check out Joyce Weiland and her work...thanks for the suggestion!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Gracie Girlwonder

"To be somebody, a woman does not have to be more like a man, but has to be more of a woman." Sally E. Shaywitz, neuroscientist
warpedweaving

Kiss my mouff!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2005 03:18:21 PM »

I know that the gallery Naked Art USA in Birmingham, AL (http://www.nakedartusa.com/index.asp) would be interested in a show like that. I don't know if this is really what you are looking for...but I thought I would throw it out there just in case.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
girlwonder
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2005 03:27:02 PM »

I absolutely need this kind of info thanks! Finding galleries that might want to participate is one of the goals. So thank you...I'll go check them out!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Gracie Girlwonder

lil_cleo
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2005 10:13:15 PM »

Not sure if this is exactly what you're looking for but Andrea Deszo might work.   She embroiders and is inspired by her country's wall-hangings found in kitchens that had sayings dealing with daily life like gossip and cheating husbands or praising good housekeeping skills.  She worked on a series of her own exploring old wives tales and superstitions of past generations and how she interprets them.
http://a.parsons.edu/~andi/index.html
THIS ROCKS   Logged
girlwonder
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2005 06:18:54 AM »

Oh WOW! I absolutely LOVE her Andrea's work! thank you so much for sending me to her website! It's totally wwhat I'm looking for!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Gracie Girlwonder

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Salmon and Quail Egg Sushi
How to Make a Spicy Tuna Roll
How to Make Temptura Prawn Sushi Rolls
How to Make Ball Shaped Sushi
How to Cook Japanese Style Sardines
Latest Blog Articles
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt
More Great Crafts Using Cardboard Tubes

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...