A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 296,680
Currently Running With Scissors:
448 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: can i bleach and dye yarn?  (Read 1137 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

rockadot
« on: October 31, 2005 10:14:06 AM »

a few months ago i got a little crazy on ebay and ordered ten balls of bright orange merino (it was $20! how could i resist??). now it's sitting in the bag it came in, in my stash, never to be used because it is BRIGHT ORANGE.

is there a way to bleach out the color and dye it to something a little less citrus-ey? or will that damage the yarn?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Calysa
I heart Anegada

~ will craft for peanuts ~

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2005 04:50:10 PM »

You could over-dye it with Kool-Aid to tone down the color.  There is information on how to do this at http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEfall02/FEATdyedwool.html  Try small sections of yarn in various colors of Kool-Aid until you find one you like. Kool-Aid dying is easy to do and very inexpensive.  Good luck, and post your results for us to see!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mistake?  No... it's an Unexpected Design Element.  I put it there on purpose.  *ahem*
Lothruin
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I eat seakittens.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2005 04:07:59 PM »

I think bleaching the yarn generally makes it take dye worse.  I would overdye it.  There was a thread a while back where a gal had purchased some wool on Ebay that ended up being an olivey yellow and not the color it appeared in the auction.  Overdying it with grape koolaid resulted in a lovely chocolate brown color.  Think color-wheel here.  If you've got orange yarn, overdying it with something blue (Berry Blue or Ice Blue Raspberry) will give you a brown.  Overdying with red (Any of the cherry flavors, though black cherry will probably result in something more brown than red, not sure) will give you a red-orange, or maybe even a true red, depending on the yarn and flavor, or it might just tone down the brightness of the orange.  A pink (pink lemonade or strawberry kiwi) will probably give you a pinkish orange that could be quite lovely.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Find craft patterns, supplies and humor at Lothruin.com!

Find me on Ravelry as Lothruin!
robin
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2005 04:12:19 PM »

Sometimes using an aluminum pot will "sadden" the color, too. I'd experiment with that Kool Aid color called Tamarind something--it'll keep it autumnal but it won't scream it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Calysa
I heart Anegada

~ will craft for peanuts ~

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2005 07:10:06 AM »

DO NOT USE BLEACH ON WOOL - it will dissolve it!  This article explains why: http://amos.indiana.edu/library/scripts/sheep.html  I just tried it with a 6" length of yarn and it does dissolve away.  (This would make a nifty Science Fair project!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mistake?  No... it's an Unexpected Design Element.  I put it there on purpose.  *ahem*
PlayItGeorge
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2005 08:21:37 AM »

When you dye using koolaid what precautions do you need to use when washing the garment?  Does the dye fade over time or rub off onto other clothes?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

8littlepaws.wordpre ss.com
Zanti MissKnit

Formerly known as AndreaLH

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2005 08:25:03 AM »

You can always try to make your money back by putting it on eBay.  Or take part in a stash swap.  Or use it to make some great felted projects that you can sell at a craft fair.  Bright orange is a tough-sell color, but some of us like it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ysolda
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2005 08:45:29 AM »

I didn't know you couldn't bleach wool. But then I read that article - it suggests an experiment by trying to bleach hair. You CAN bleach hair though. SO presumably you could bleach wool with the kind of bleach used for hair - it would probably still do some damage to the fibres though.

You could always dye it black, black covers everything. Alternatively you could make dozens of felted pumpkins.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

knitting patterns and all sorts of  crafty adventures: http://ysolda.me.uk
Lothruin
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I eat seakittens.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2005 11:44:52 AM »

Well, wool doesn't come naturally in stark white, and they DO sell true white wool, so wool CAN be bleached, just maybe not with chlorine bleach. However, as I said, it is my understanding that bleached wool will not take and hold dye as well as natural or already-dyed wool.  This has also been discussed in the KoolAid dye thread, which I would recommend to you, PlayItGeorge, if you are considering it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Find craft patterns, supplies and humor at Lothruin.com!

Find me on Ravelry as Lothruin!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
We Tried It: The Beer and Vodka Hair Rinse
Get Glossy Hair with Tati
How to Curl Hair With a Curling Wand
Frizz Fighting Products to Beat the Heat
Best Hairstyles To Beat The Summer Heat & Humidity
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...