A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 304,768
Currently Running With Scissors:
431 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: selling my furniture...  (Read 1660 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

wasabipeasrule

Nuffin' but muffins

View Profile
« on: May 15, 2004 01:27:40 PM »

OK, my friend and I have started a furniture company called Funiture (I cannot get over how clever we are sometimes...lol). So far we've only sold our stuff at like, one craft fair, not getting great business because it was in a fairly secluded area. (There are other craft fairs we are planning to attend, however.) I'd really like some advice on where and how to get our products out there. Unfortunate things to keep in mind:

-my friend and I are fourteen. This means that we do not know...things. Not only this, but we cannot drive.

-we are broke. Hence, why we are selling furniture. Also because we are awesomely creative.

Any advice would be appreciated. I'd rather not have to resort to ebay (ebay is cool, but unprofessional...dude, we have a logo and business cards and everything! ebay would be a disgrace to our "professional" fourteen-year-old dignity...lol) Anyways, any pictures I post around the site of furniture is probably part of what we're selling, so check it out! And if you have any questions, you can e-mail us a funiture1125@aol.com. Thanks!

-Sarah (a.k.a. exactly half of our furniture company. lol...)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Um, hi everyone, I'm sarah, and I'm a craftaholic...
Joopaloo
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2004 10:24:45 AM »

Hmmm... the name Furniture sounds very "clever" as you said... it kind of sounds like your work is quirky and fun and that using the name Furniture is a play on that. However without seeing the furniture I'm not sure if I am correct.

I would suggest continuing to do craft shows and also check out consignment shops as well as art shows. Being 14 years old can be an advantage because I'm sure if you look around online that you can find shows and/or websites that showcase teen talent and will hopefully not require you to break the bank to be involved.

When selling your items I think it would be great to really play up the fact that you are a couple of teens with a lot of talent. Create a flyer that you can pass out and display at your booth that talks about your work, shows picutes of you working, and your goals for your business. I think that people will like to see ambitious teens out there selling their work.

Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
wasabipeasrule

Nuffin' but muffins

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2004 01:52:46 PM »

Yeah, we try to make our furniture colorful and kid-friendly, but not babyish. We especially like doing scenes. (One of our footstools has an outer space scene on it, complete with glittery moon, comets, alien spaceship, etc. One chair has an underwater scene on it; the farther down the chair you get, the lower it is in the ocean, and there are tons of animals we painted.)

Anyways, thanks for your advice. I especially like the idea of taking pics of ourselves working! (We could probably catch some interesting moments...)

I sure hope other people post, though... I feel neglected   Cry
THIS ROCKS   Logged

simply
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2004 07:05:35 PM »

you're not neglected, you've had this piece read at least 85 times  Wink  if you read through other posts though you'll find most other people are just starting up too. they're probably waiting to see if anyone else posts. people might get a better idea of how to help you if you showed some pictures of your wares in the post.  have you thought of setting up a website? just get one of those cheapie free sites to start off with, post all the info about your company. one of those this is me, this is her we started so and so back in yadda yadda with the hopes to one day blah blah. then post pictures of your peices. post before, after, during, whatever ya wanna do. post the fairs and whatnot you've attended, maybe even post the pic of whatever you sold. if ya wanna be really brave, see if the person that bought it will let you take a picture of them with newly bought item for the site. call it your happy customer page. and post a calendar type thing saying when and where you'll be next. maybe even throw in a guest book for good luck.  then just make up your biz cards.  post some in the public libraries (they all have a section for that sorta stuff), your local stores (most grocery stores have a bulliten area), and pass 'em out at the events you attend, especially to the people you sell to. with luck business will spread and you'll get more noticed around your area. maybe someone will stumble across your page and ask for a custom order. anythings possible, just give it a shot.   hope that's what you were looking for  Smiley
« Last Edit: May 20, 2004 02:18:56 PM by simply » THIS ROCKS   Logged

bluevivor
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2004 12:10:46 AM »

You're only 14 once....use it to your advantage!  Put up a sign, pass out flyers, introduce yourself to passersby...let them know you are 14.  Tell your potential customers that you are earning college money.   Also....have on hand some lower priced items such as handmade signs, trays, magnets, cookies  ....etc.  People may not want to purchase the higher priced items, but will want to help you out, you just need to give them something to spend their money on.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
wasabipeasrule

Nuffin' but muffins

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2004 01:34:11 PM »

Thanks for posting, I feel loved!  Grin  Anyways, we do have business cards, and putting them around town would be a great idea. I'll try it. We thought about getting a website, but we decided to stall until we could get enough money to actually make a good one instead of just hosting on xanga or something. We do have an official e-mail address, though.  Wink 
We so set out lower priced items. Not all of our things are expensive; we sells flower pots for five bucks (and they are pretty freakin' cool). We also sell bracelets that my friend makes, and duct tape wallets that I make.
Thanks for your ideas, guys!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Jeanius - Grace Fuller on the Perfect Jeans
Vintage Bowles - Discovering Vintage Yves Saint Laurent in NYC
Evelyn Lozada on Celebrity Shoe Trends
First Chance to Shop Isabel Marant for H&M
Need to Know: Two Tone Trend, Nike FuelBand, and a "Food and Wine" Roundup
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup
@Home This Weekend: Create a Spooky Yard
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: Featured Artist Katrina Polacek

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...