A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 302,794
Currently Running With Scissors:
821 Guests and 28 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: anybody in the 518???  (Read 13042 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

jaami
was born with roses in her eyes

View Profile WWW
« on: October 30, 2005 10:51:18 PM »

i'm moving to new york in november & am wondering if there's any other members who are from the 518/albany-ish area???
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I've been away from the site going through lots of medical testing. If I have not wrote you or mailed something, please understand that my concerns right now are my health and I will send things asap!

Please DO NOT COPY the toys, drawings or stickers I make. They're copyrighted!
bijou_raoul
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2005 10:01:23 AM »

I'm going to be moving to Albany soon too.  I don't know exactly when, but it'll definitely be before January because I'm going to school there during the spring semester.  I've been trying to find people to connect with before I move out there, but haven't had much luck.  My name is Jessi.  Nice to meet you.   Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jaami

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2005 12:34:15 PM »

oh cool

i grew up there, when i was small that is, so i have a pretty good grasp of where the FEW things to do in albany are! haha. it's not that bad. which school are you going to?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I've been away from the site going through lots of medical testing. If I have not wrote you or mailed something, please understand that my concerns right now are my health and I will send things asap!

bijou_raoul
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2005 07:23:06 AM »

I'm going to be taking classes at SUNY Albany.  That is, of course, assuming I even get in -- I have yet to hear back but I just sent out my final application form last week and I'm pretty optimistic.  But even if I don't get in I'll be moving out there so I'll have a better chance at finding a job and just be in a better area with more things to do.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

archer*of*loaf
Lip them

Audiowhore, sucking on sound

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2005 07:38:29 AM »

I've lived here all my life.  What kinds of things do you want to know about?  It's not a bad area, but it deserves its "Small-bany" nickname.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

And hoping for an early death you swam so far you lost your breath, and struggling in the ebb and flow I took your hand, but you let go...
And now the ocean fills your lungs, and now you've got what you had come for, resting peaceful as you sink to drown under a sea of strangers.

-E. Bachmann
jaami

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2005 11:19:43 AM »

i'll be living up in saratoga, but close enough really.

albany certainly deserves the 'small' and not so much 'bunny'. although i'm dying for bombers right now...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

archer*of*loaf
Lip them

Audiowhore, sucking on sound

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2005 11:52:21 AM »

Ahhh.  Now, Saratoga compared to Albany is cool.  I mean, Albany has its perks, but Saratoga is just so pretty. 

And now that you've planted the evil seed in my mind, I'm off to Bombers.  There's just something so good about a burrito that weighs as much as a small child.  Nothin' like cheap eats.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

And hoping for an early death you swam so far you lost your breath, and struggling in the ebb and flow I took your hand, but you let go...
And now the ocean fills your lungs, and now you've got what you had come for, resting peaceful as you sink to drown under a sea of strangers.

-E. Bachmann
jaami

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2005 12:25:10 PM »

Ahhh.  Now, Saratoga compared to Albany is cool.  I mean, Albany has its perks, but Saratoga is just so pretty. 

And now that you've planted the evil seed in my mind, I'm off to Bombers.  There's just something so good about a burrito that weighs as much as a small child.  Nothin' like cheap eats.

hahahaha. a pal and i call them "chodes" if you get our (immature) drift. it's the first place i'm headed to when i leave the airport. ha.

saratoga isn't so bad i guess. after leaving it for like four years you start to appreciate that it's not such a bad place.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bijou_raoul
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2005 12:39:35 PM »

My boyfriend is originally from Saratoga, but we decided we wanted to live closer to Albany because I'm going to school there and I won't have a car, so the bus is pretty much my only option.  That and the guy we're going to be living with (my boyfriend's friend) needs to be near the airport because he goes out of state during the week for work.  He said I would be able to borrow his car during the week because he won't be around and won't need it, so I *might* do that. 

Saratoga is OK, but I've only been there during the summertime when there's tourists everywhere and some of the people just seem so fake.  I'm sure it's not like that all year.  It is a really nice city, I just don't think it's for me.  I'm beginning to like the sound of this "smallbany" nickname, since I'm from a pretty small town and I've been worrying about this transition over to an actual city.  From the sounds of it maybe I won't have such a hard time after all.

I'm really looking to make some friends, since the only person I know out there is my boyfriend's friend and he already has some friends in Saratoga so I'm feeling kind of left out.  I'm interested in joining the SnB group out there but I looked them up online and it doesn't look like they really have set meetings every week.  But I'm glad there's some knitty folks in Albany, I'd like to set something up because I'm getting really lonely just knitting and yarn shopping by myself all the time.  That and I think you learn more if you work with other people.  So, anyway, what's Albany like besides "small"?   Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jaami

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2005 12:56:01 PM »

everyone in saratoga in the summer is a snotty tourist from nyc, so no wonder you thought they were fake. hahaha. i hate saratoga in the summer simply for their presence. what's your boyfriend's name??? i'm wondering if i know him or not.

uh... albany's... small... and kind of boring. well. i don't know, i shouldn't judge. there's a handful of things to do but most people just go to crossgates mall for kicks. which is so boring unless you like shopping places like a&f and other chains. thacher park is excellent, if you're into the outdoors. there's bombers, last vestige, and uncommon grounds (also both in saratoga - i used to work there, i wonder if i'll recognize any secret craftsters!). valentines used to put on good shows but from what i've heard over the past years it's turned into some teeny bopping mtv sell out venue. but what do i know.  the good thing about albany is that it's close to nyc, boston, and vermont. driving to canada isn't so bad if you're up for the road trip. bazaar bizarre is in boston on december 11th, which is awesome, so it's only a couple hours away - woo!! anybody else you know going to it this year?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How To Change Colors in Tire Tread Pattern Crochet
How to Choose Yarn Colors for Rainbow Crochet
How to Attach Crocheted Yoyos with a Hexagonal Braided Join
How to Cast Off Hat Knitting Projects
How to Cast Off on a Knitting Loom
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament
Cardboard Tube? Craft Supply!
Spotlight on: Art Dolls

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...