A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 300,961
Currently Running With Scissors:
437 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: anybody in the 518???  (Read 13905 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Jen518
« Reply #80 on: January 13, 2007 04:19:04 PM »

Hey everyone!  I live in Brunswick and I'm looking for a knitting group.  I've just started knitting and have heard that they best way to learn is to learn from someone who knits.  The only people I have met that knit are some little old ladies at work (nice ladies but not my crowd!).  Anyway I saw earlier in this thread (like 2 years ago) a knitting group mentioned that meets in Albany.  Is this group still active?  Accepting new members (that don't knit so well yet?)?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bijou_raoul
« Reply #81 on: January 15, 2007 11:45:43 AM »

I just moved back to Albany and I'm also confused about the knitting groups.  I think there's a couple of different ones but I'm not sure which ones meet where & when.  I'm also interested in joining one, and I wouldn't mind meeting someone who's new to knitting.  I'm sure they're open to less-experienced knitters, the more the merrier.   Smiley  Maybe someone has the skinny on where to find the knitters around here?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Leaudemiel
« Reply #82 on: January 25, 2007 02:03:01 PM »

Hello ladies!

Sorry I've been a little mia.

There are a bunch of different knitting groups, so it depends on what you are looking for.

The ALbany Knit Wits meet on Thursdays at the Wine Bar on Lark Street. We're a little big, a little rowdy. Ages 23 to 33. All female (with occaisional boys cheerleading, and one recent boyfriend knitting his own damn sweater!).

The Albany Stitch N Bitch group used to be part of us. When three of us met at Lark Tavern to start a knitting group, two of us wanted bars, the third did not. She started this group. Its a random aged, coed (I think they are led by a man) group. They meet at coffee shops, I believe. Not sure when. You can find them if you follow the link from SnB Chicago.

Also is the Averill Park SnB. They are sweet, and have visited the knit wits for our musical field trips before. One of these days we will go on over to knit with them! They meet at Slow Jed's. Awesome.

There might be more, too. These are just the ones I remember. I think there is one that meets at the coop too.

Good luck!
Melissa
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bijou_raoul
« Reply #83 on: January 26, 2007 01:10:04 PM »

Hello ladies!

Sorry I've been a little mia.

There are a bunch of different knitting groups, so it depends on what you are looking for.

The ALbany Knit Wits meet on Thursdays at the Wine Bar on Lark Street. We're a little big, a little rowdy. Ages 23 to 33. All female (with occaisional boys cheerleading, and one recent boyfriend knitting his own damn sweater!).

The Albany Stitch N Bitch group used to be part of us. When three of us met at Lark Tavern to start a knitting group, two of us wanted bars, the third did not. She started this group. Its a random aged, coed (I think they are led by a man) group. They meet at coffee shops, I believe. Not sure when. You can find them if you follow the link from SnB Chicago.

Also is the Averill Park SnB. They are sweet, and have visited the knit wits for our musical field trips before. One of these days we will go on over to knit with them! They meet at Slow Jed's. Awesome.

There might be more, too. These are just the ones I remember. I think there is one that meets at the coop too.

Good luck!
Melissa

Thanks for the info! I checked back at some past posts and saw that you mentioned the Wine Bar. That would probably be the easiest location for me to get to, coming from Delaware Ave. (I think the SnB meets on Wolf Rd., quite the trek for me since I don't have a car). Is the Wine Bar part of another business? Because I went down Lark St. a couple times looking for it and couldn't seem to figure out where it was. I saw a wine & liquor store but no Wine Bar. Anyway, if you've got room for one more, I'd definitely be interested in meeting up with you folks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jen518
« Reply #84 on: January 27, 2007 12:38:08 PM »

I don't know the Wine Bar on Lark Street.  The only Wine Bar I know is the one in Saratoga.  I'm wondering if it's the place that used to be Lulu's.  I know it re-opened under another name but I haven't been there in years.

I work right outside of Washington Park so that's a good location for me.  What time on Thursdays do you meet? 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
deathslilsister

elegantly waisted

View Profile WWW
« Reply #85 on: January 27, 2007 09:10:02 PM »

The wine bar can be kind of hard to find in the winter-- in warm weather they have patio tables out on the sidewalk, but they're not there now, of course Smiley  The bar is below street level, close to State St.  I've never been to the knitting group (although I should, I live very close), but I hear really great things about the group that meets there.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Leaudemiel
« Reply #86 on: February 01, 2007 10:55:59 AM »

There is usually someone there by 7:30. Its between State and Spring, right next to the Daily Grind, to the left. It has a longer, weird name, but I don't think they even put that sign out any more. Yes, you enter by going down stairs.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

butterflymary
The Dominatrix of Craft

I Bitch, Therefore I Stitch

View Profile WWW
« Reply #87 on: February 08, 2007 08:38:12 PM »

This has nothing to do with knitting, but why not enjoy a First Friday (http://www.comeseeart.com/AlbanyArtsGuide.pdf) and then end at the wine bar for a refreshment afterwards? Hey, you might see some of my work in one of the galleries, too. First Friday is on the first Friday of every month. A string of galleries hosting opening receptions. It's been getting bigger and bigger each month.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Now get craftin'!
ezmerelda_smith
« Reply #88 on: February 11, 2007 07:21:15 PM »

I meant to join the knitting group on Lark (Wine Bar), but I got shy.
Is just showing up ok?  I felt kinda weird just dropping outta no where and being the only stranger in the bunch.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bijou_raoul
« Reply #89 on: February 12, 2007 05:16:44 AM »

I just figured out this week that the Wine Bar is that "Antica Enotica" place...I just never read any further than that on the sign to realize that it was a wine bar!

And ezmerelda...if you're looking to go this week, I'd also be interested, and I've never been there, so you wouldn't be the only newbie...that is, of course, if it's alright with the group  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Website Redefining Shopping For Conscientious Consumers
British Invasion
Objects of Desire: S&M-Inspired Accessories
New York Fashion Week Spring 2014: Front-Row Celebrity Style
Behind the Scenes at the Rebecca Minkoff Spring 2014 Show
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...