A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 302,319
Currently Running With Scissors:
534 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: anybody in the 518???  (Read 14782 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

jaami
was born with roses in her eyes

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2005 09:49:06 PM »

Hello!

I moved to Albany three years ago and I love it. I don't plan on leaving any time soon. I live off of Lark Street (the fun place to be, avoiding the frat guys and most of the annoying drunk girls compared to other areas of the city) and couldn't be happier. I started a knitting group when we first got here, and we still meet every week. WEe have gotten too big at times (over 30 members, all young, hip and mostly fun) but now we're back to around 12 or so at a time. We're the Knit Wits. Smiley (Meet on Madison at the Muddy Cup on Thursdays from 7 to 9, and various bars during the week).

hey, are you guys open to having new knitters in your group? i found a knitting group with some women up in saratoga, but they are so stuffy!!! they're all menopausal and cranky and cynical. my first time i'd ever really knit anything before, and this was at my first class, the woman runnng it treated me like i was retarded and made a claim that i'd need really good luck in order to get a scarf done. i'm trying to find a more open minded and supportive group of people to be inspired from and learn from. while i wouldn't go often because it'd be a lot of gas all the time, i'd really love to go at least a few times a month. if you have any info you could share, please let me know! gracias Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I've been away from the site going through lots of medical testing. If I have not wrote you or mailed something, please understand that my concerns right now are my health and I will send things asap!

Please DO NOT COPY the toys, drawings or stickers I make. They're copyrighted!
bijou_raoul
« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2005 09:54:19 AM »

I'm also interested in stopping in sometime, I'll be moving out there in a couple of weeks so once I'm into the groove of the semester I'd like to find some things to do with my spare time and to meet some new people.  Drop a line  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

viciouskittie
one crafty bitch

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2006 07:31:02 PM »

you know, i used to live in the 518, and moved here to wilmington nc to be in the warmer weather and also cause the fiance is from here..im starting to think i should have stayed there...cold or not...it seems like theres way more crafty people there..its so sad here..i know just a few people..i go to acmoore  and joanns just hoping to find someone cool! hahah..so lame!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

hi my names kate, and im a craft addict..

www.wists.com/veganedgekate
jaami

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2006 09:27:19 PM »

you know, i used to live in the 518, and moved here to wilmington nc to be in the warmer weather and also cause the fiance is from here..im starting to think i should have stayed there...cold or not...it seems like theres way more crafty people there..its so sad here..i know just a few people..i go to acmoore  and joanns just hoping to find someone cool! hahah..so lame!!!!

awwww! there's not very many people where i am - all the people who "craft" here make doilies and have their noses stuck up in the air! it's really hard to find "hip" (what better term?) craftsters!
what part were you from?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I've been away from the site going through lots of medical testing. If I have not wrote you or mailed something, please understand that my concerns right now are my health and I will send things asap!

Leaudemiel
« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2006 11:03:25 AM »

well, my knitting group is part of that sewfastseweasy lawsuit, so we will see.... but in the meantime, our group is at www.yahoogroups.com/theknitwits.
we're probably changing locations soon, but if you check the site it will have it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

butterflymary
The Dominatrix of Craft

I Bitch, Therefore I Stitch

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2006 11:18:25 AM »

Not everyone in Saratoga is a snotty tourist. Some are snotty residents, too. I live up this way, just outside Saratoga. I grew up in Kinderhook which used to be great but then the snotty NYC people came and ruined the town. Once, one of them wrote a letter to the editor of the local paper requesting the locals not do theire grocery shopping on the weekends so the city weekends would have it to themselves. Nice. Now that's snotty.

Anyway, like I said, I live outside Saratoga. Above Schenectady. I have 2 kids, 10 ducks, cats, chickens, bunnies, dogs.... I also went back to school and I go to Sage in Albany most of the week and I work in the gallery there. I knit, sew, paint, and a lot of other stuff. I just started acting in Annie Get Your Gun in the local theater group. I can't sing real good but it will be fun. If y'all want to come on over or meet in a dive bar to knit let me know.

I'm kind of nervous about moving now just because I went out for orientation last week and Albany is not small.
Hey, bijou raoul, what's your major? There's many colleges in the Albany area. U Albany is very big and you are a number not a name. I took a history course in a class of close to 100 maybe more. It's very clique-y. I go to Sage in Albany and it's like being in classes with your best friends and family. It was so hard leaving everyone at Christmas break even tho we knew we'd see eachother in a month. Look into it. There's also St. Rose, Albany Law, School of Pharmacy, Siena, Union, RPI, Maria........ the capital district is loaded with colleges.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Now get craftin'!
jaami

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2006 11:45:01 AM »

Not everyone in Saratoga is a snotty tourist. Some are snotty residents, too.

that's exactly what i was talking about when i said there are no people around here to craft with. at least in saratoga. people here seem to think they are high and mighty, when i know for a fact that approximately 90% of saratoga's population is just regular middle class average joes. the problem is the crafting kind are all old women with sticks shoved up their asses so far they can't see the light of day.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bijou_raoul
« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2006 12:17:57 PM »

Hey, bijou raoul, what's your major? There's many colleges in the Albany area. U Albany is very big and you are a number not a name. I took a history course in a class of close to 100 maybe more. It's very clique-y. I go to Sage in Albany and it's like being in classes with your best friends and family. It was so hard leaving everyone at Christmas break even tho we knew we'd see eachother in a month. Look into it. There's also St. Rose, Albany Law, School of Pharmacy, Siena, Union, RPI, Maria........ the capital district is loaded with colleges.

I'm double-majoring in French and Anthropology.  I realize how many other schools there are in Albany but with my budget a SUNY school is about all I can afford.  A friend of mine goes to Sage (she's working on her master's part-time) and she likes it there.  So at least I have one friend in Albany, and apparently she needs some company so I'll have to give her a call when I get into town. 
I'm moving this week (classes start on the 23rd) but I have to stay with my boyfriend & his parents in Saratoga for a few days while the paperwork on our other place is being taken care of.  Pretty excited.  I probably won't be on campus that much because I'm not living in the dorms, but I'm thinking of joining some clubs and getting involved on campus.  I can see the clique-y thing, but I think it's the same way just about everywhere you go.  You just have to find the right group, and I usually don't have much trouble with that.  I'm just nervous about moving to a larger city altogether, not necessarily just the college itself.  But I'm sure I'll manage.   Smiley
« Last Edit: January 16, 2006 12:22:01 PM by bijou_raoul » THIS ROCKS   Logged

viciouskittie
one crafty bitch

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2006 02:37:06 PM »

i used to live in a itty bitty town called green island..its right next to troy and watervliet..all my family is still up that way to i still go home to visit..
 yeah saratoga is tough..a friend of mine lives there..its a pretty neat town, but the summers are crazy with tourists and the race track..theres snooty people everywhere down here too..yuck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

hi my names kate, and im a craft addict..

www.wists.com/veganedgekate
archer*of*loaf
Lip them

Audiowhore, sucking on sound

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2006 02:51:38 AM »

Holy shit, viciouskittie!  I live in Cohoes.  I've seen people here who are from Albany and Saratoga and I think one person was from Troy, but you used to live, like, right next door!  Funny.  Did you grow up in Green Island?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

And hoping for an early death you swam so far you lost your breath, and struggling in the ebb and flow I took your hand, but you let go...
And now the ocean fills your lungs, and now you've got what you had come for, resting peaceful as you sink to drown under a sea of strangers.

-E. Bachmann
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Create a Web Photo Gallery in Photoshop
Color Management for the Web in Photoshop
Image Search Engine Walkthrough
Split Toning in Lightroom
How to Create Black and White Images with Photoshop
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: A Pod of Narwhals
Hey, it's summer. Go outside!
Meatless Monday: Chia Pudding

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...