A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 302,560
Currently Running With Scissors:
716 Guests and 26 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Gift for deer hunter??  (Read 1860 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

curlygirl

we must be the change we wish to see in the world

View Profile
« on: October 30, 2005 06:51:16 PM »

So i have decided to do a crafty christmas this year and have most of my gifts planned, but I am stumped when it comes to my father... he is really into hunting, very sentimental and loves handmade gifts and cards, but also very practical. I knit, sew, paint, scrap, etc........ any suggestions would be much appreciated.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Starrie X Nights
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2005 06:55:32 PM »

My dad, too. He goes hunting with his buddies almost every year. Maybe you could make him camoflage mittens or a hat. Or maybe, socks...lol. My dad would LUV that.  Smiley Hunting is just my dad's hobby, you would never beable to guess his job...
Hopefully I helped you.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
brookem
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2005 07:49:37 PM »

my grandfather uses a hip pouch whe he hunts. its like a large external pocket which is made of camo canvas and is worn attached to his belt with loops. he uses it to keep little odds and ends (flint, knife etc) within reach. maybe you could make him some thing like that  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ZED'S DEAD BABY
halfelvenwriter
The Quiet, Odd One in the Corner

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2005 08:43:28 PM »

Okay, this doesn't appeal to everyone, and the supplies aren't readily available, but it was really cool, so I have to share it.  Maybe you or someone else has the resources to do this.

My grandfather made a lamp using four stuffed deer legs.  They formed the base of the lamp, and had a band around them to keep them together.  Then there was the lamp fixture, and a big brown lampshade.  I kept it in my room for a while, partly because I thought it was so cool, and partly because it freaked out my friends ("Uh, that's not from a real deer, is it?").  Then I stored it in the basement for a while because I didn't have room for it (it was kinda big for a lamp), and I'm afraid Mom may have thrown it out.  It really was a cool thing to have out if your family's into hunting.

I hope I didn't disturb too many animal lovers, but it seemed appropriate to the topic.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jnaos

"Creative clutter is better than idle neatness."

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2005 10:58:10 PM »

they sell camo yarn.. I would triple knit a hat.  I would also make him some fingerless gloves out if it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Frew-Frew
Caution: Eye Irritant

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2005 04:12:59 AM »

they sell camo yarn.. I would triple knit a hat.  I would also make him some fingerless gloves out if it.

Just to expand on this idea, Sew a felt pocket into the fingerless gloves that goes inside the glove along the inside of the wrist that is big enough to slip in one of those Hot Hands packs. You can get them at most outdoor shops and they are inexpensive, so it works if you are on a budget, and it'll keep your dad toasty warm. Some people stick them in their boots too, to keep their toes warm, so you might want to grab a few extra.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Chuck Norris does not knit. He bangs the table, and the shockwaves force the yarn to create clothing.

http://frousworld.blogspot.com/
re
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2005 11:12:32 AM »

you may want to get him a new hunters knife, or knife pouch for an existing one, and decorate the pouch somehow with the picture of a deer. or his gun carrying case (a new one with a buch painted or stenciled on it?).

or, put together a 'guy like' album for his hunting photos. cover it in camo, leather bits, squashed shot casings, or burlap.  put the photos in regular photo pages though, so he can add to it, as I know the guys in my family wouldn't dare keep up a scrap book page for their life.

maybe buy a mirror and etch a stencil of deer horns somehow on it. other ideas are to decorate the leather on teh leather covered thermos's or even the leather covered flasks you can buy at those engraving places.

I would reccomend going to your nearest outdoor/hunting or camping outfitters store, even a gun shop, and look for things you can 'customize' for him. maybe there is some sort of brilliant idea.

then let me know, because I have lots of guys in my family that hunt, and I am always looking for good ideas!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

curlygirl

we must be the change we wish to see in the world

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2005 12:10:44 PM »

Thanks everyone for all the great ideas. i especially like the scrapbook and fingerless gloves ideas, I think I will be making those. Halfelvenwriter- that lamp sounds so cool, but I wouldn't even know how to begin- though it might be worth it to see my stepmom's reaction ti something like that going into her carefully decorated house. Our family ornaments don't even make it onto her tree so I doubt she would let something like that be on display. I smile just thinking about it though  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kattghoti
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2005 12:15:07 PM »

In the same line of thinking as the hip pouch, I made my dad and his hunting buddy a muff that attached around his waist.  It's a hip pouch, but it has holes in the side for their hands.  It's basically a big tube with a zipper on top.  Inside the zipper pocket is a smaller velcro pocket for one of those heat pack things.  It hangs into the center of the tube so they can hold the heat pack.

If you're interested, I will alter my directions so they actually work.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftmommieof2
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2005 12:36:33 PM »

Myself as well as my boyfriend and his entire family love to hunt.( Actually just got done cleaning a deer a killed this morning with a bow) For some ideas of stuff you can make I would browse the Cabela's website. Also, something that would be fairly easy to knit would be a baklav(i thinks thats what they are). Those ski mask looking things that just have a slit for the eyes and they pull way down over the neck. OR how about a small camo cushion if he uses a tree stand. Your butt gets rather numb sittin on a hard surface for hours. Also, if hes anything like everyone around here they all have there favorite brand/pattern of camo they prefer to use. My boyfriend and I only use Mossy Oak brand camo.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Sloppy Joes
Panko Crusted-Sriracha Onion Rings Recipe
Firehouse Chef Shares His Chili Recipe
Feta-Stuffed BLT Burger Recipe
How to Make an Ancho-Jalapeno Chile Sauce with Chicken Thighs
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...