A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 309,697
Currently Running With Scissors:
538 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Credit cards as blank books?  (Read 12338 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

lisascenic
« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2005 07:56:38 PM »

Great project!  Where did you learn bookbinding?

I think not getting lots of mail from credit card companies is a good thing.  Keeps you from getting into trouble.

This project reminds me of the astonishing dress worn by Lizzy Gardiner when she accepted her oscar for costume designs for The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert.

http://www.fashion-planet.com/sept98/features/oscars/list_pics.html
THIS ROCKS   Logged

zitrone21

Ooh, I'm so blurry . . .

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2005 07:48:51 AM »

Great project!  Where did you learn bookbinding?

There are lots of tutorials on line--both here and elsewhere.  The first one I list was the most helpful for me; there's a diagram on the second page of instructions that's really useful for sewing the signatures.  I don't do this often enough to remember it off the top of my head.

http://personal.mem.bellsouth.net/d/r/drv1913/0204.html
http://shala.addr.com/magazines/
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lisascenic
« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2005 08:09:18 AM »

Zitrone -- I've been flailing around in my attempt to teach myself book binding.  I did use the first link (in conjunction with some book binding books) as a starting place for my Absinthe book, but I couldn't really wrap my brain around her knotting technique.  I think I need to take a class!

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=67352.0

Are you concerned about the plastic of the credit cards sawing through your thread?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

zitrone21

Ooh, I'm so blurry . . .

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2005 09:15:13 AM »

I waxed my thread with beeswax before sewing it to help it glide more easily.  I don't think it'll be a problem.  I used 6-strand embroidery thread, too, so there's six little threads to get through before it would fall apart.  They seem pretty sturdy to me, and since they're so small, it'd more than likely get filled before anything really happened to it.

It takes a little trial and error with the online instructions.  There are also other forms of bookbinding that might be easier for you, like 5 stitch, which I've never tried. 

http://world.std.com/%7Edeanb/zgg/book_5st_1.html
http://www.sff.net/people/Brook.West/bind/bindit.html

Your Absinthe book looked pretty good to me.  I really like your stamp, too, by the way.  Besides, any instructions you find you can look at as suggestions, too--if you can't follow it exactly but you end up with something that works just as wel, go with it.  Maybe you'll invent a completely new form of bookbinding!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lisascenic
« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2005 09:59:10 AM »

Maybe you'll invent a completely new form of bookbinding!

That's what I figured!  As long as the book doesn't fall apart, and as long as it looks intentional, I'm happy!  I "invented" the approach to the cover of my book.  I didn't want to use glue, since the cover is translucent, but I also had to use a light touch, since the paper was somewhat fragile.

Your book is really wonderful.  It really pleases me that you used the "bait" credit cards try to lure us with to make an original object.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

outwithhearts
« Reply #25 on: December 26, 2005 02:00:18 AM »

thats a cute idea!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mel21clc
« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2006 09:28:39 PM »

So I know this may sound like a question with an obvious answer, but how do you lovelies get the holes in them so precisely?  With the cardboard ones they send me I'm not as concerned, but for the plastic giftcards, what's the best way to get a hole in them?

Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Sand, sand, sand. It is glorious. It is prickly and invasive. Like freedom." --SBP Sirius
zitrone21

Ooh, I'm so blurry . . .

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2006 06:41:00 AM »

I heat a largish needle in a candle flame and poke it through.  If I make any more, I'm going to try using a Dremel tool to drill the holes; the melted plastic smell isn't so lovely.  You could also use small nails and hammer them through the card into scrap wood to make holes, but I haven't tried that.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
LaLaFireFly

i love you, toadstool

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2006 07:38:42 AM »

Those are really unique! I have a few of these lying around... maybe I'll give it a try!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cocinero
« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2006 07:43:59 AM »

This is indeed not only a brilliant idea, it is craftster-licious!   Wink
Well done!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Turn an Old T-Shirt Into a Sexy Top
Behind the Scenes of the Moby Dick Opera
How to Tie-Dye a T-Shirt
Ross Floate on Building Creative Skills in a Design Strategist Job
Richard Moross on What Makes Product Design Work Meaningful
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Solar Light Garden Mushroom
Artsy Garden
Meatless Monday: Falafel without Frying

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...