A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 302,752
Currently Running With Scissors:
643 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Craftster Chat Room?  (Read 14825 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

silkslippers
« Reply #30 on: January 05, 2005 05:48:33 AM »

Sorry, I was tired last night.....

Meant to say thank you to you personally Leah!  This chat is the beesknees. Its really quick to download as well.

I have been chatting to an online friend who has been giving me the run down on Mirc (which is a particular software and attracts all kinds.....however it is better than IRC which to put it mildly generally attracts a bunch of ignoramuses!).

Evidently, we can set up a room there which called be called eg. craftster which would be permanent. Alongside this for those people who don't want to download the software (which then sits as a shortcut on your desktop) we can have a link here which takes them to the same room. They however wouldnt have the same faciliities available.

One of the advantages of having a stand-alone room on a seperate server (which they dont charge for btw) is space - they seem to have ample space. This same server would be reached from the website for those who dont or cant download the software.

It is also easier to chat and to read the chat. You can easily exchange files etc. You can control the look of your window easier than in chats like u get on websites.

Can I propose that a group of us could do an experiment: We download the software (I can be at hand if anyone has any problems) and we decide on a time and have a 'sesson'. To set up a temporary room is piddly easy.  We could spend one evening for eg. downloading the software and making sure everyone was set up ok. and the next evening actually chatting and going thru the features?

What do you think Leah?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
leah
Global Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

formerly "the craftster admin" - viva craftster!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: January 05, 2005 06:27:41 AM »

Hey silkslippers!

I definitely looked into using an IRC type chat instead of the one I chose.  That would definitely have been my preference.

The reason why I chose this one (FlashChat) is that it came all ready to be integrated right into this forum.  This means that it literally embeds itself into the web page AND more importantly it carries your Craftster username into the chat room and allows you to access people's Craftster profiles right from the chat room, etc.  I really wanted this feature.

All of the IRC solutions I looked into would require me to do all kinds of programming to make these things happen.  And I'm having trouble finding the time to do this!

So I think that if this FlashChat program works out well feature-wise and bandwidth-wise, we might want to keep using it rather than switching to IRC.

Oh and by the way I think that "mIRC" is just a piece of software that allows you to connect to any "IRC server."  I don't think it's an alternative or better than IRC.  IRC is the kind of chat and then there are various pieces of software you can use to participate in the chat, mIRC being one of them.  But I could be wrong!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Want to support Craftster? Find out about becoming a Friend of Craftster!

{ craftastic.com | leahkramer.com | helloadorable.com }
silkslippers
« Reply #32 on: January 05, 2005 03:43:35 PM »

I hear what you are saying Leah, would be a lot of hassle.

This chat is closer to home as well which is nice. Its been great today, met lots of peeps.

Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
RonnieCat
Weird and Proud of it!

Pleased to meet you, I'm Shiyiya. *curtsies*

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 22, 2008 10:55:41 PM »

I go on so many different forums that I can't keep straight etiquette for topics, but the only other one I can find with the search on the subject ( http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=6066.0 ) is old enough that I think it's okay to make a new one. I'm curious what happened with this, if flashchat was created and later destroyed, and if a craftster IRC room was ever made (I'd make one myself or search but there are just too many servers and somehow I don't think my home in Quakenet is where a crafting channel would have been made Smiley )

If there is no IRC and the admins want help setting a channel up, I'd be happy to lend a hand, I've set up and registered a lot of IRC channels in my time Tongue

IRC is a great place to talk to people, and it would be great to have a craftster IRC. There are widgets to put IRC into websites too - mibbit has one that's really easy to set up, a friend of mine set it up for his forum. (His forum has about five active members though so that channel doesn't see the light of day much!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster chat! Firefox users with Chatzilla installed, go to irc://irc.aniverse.com/craftster http://tinyurl.com/5vv88b has instructions for anyone else, and http://tinyurl.com/62ynka has a link for a browser-based chat Smiley
smokebook
« Reply #34 on: August 24, 2008 04:03:38 AM »

Weird that you resurrected this thread yesterday. I just came here now looking to see if this had been discussed before.  I'm a big time lurker, but I'm really new to Craftster and crafting in general.  So I don't know about the history here yet. I'm trying to learn about all the rules and stuff and hoping to lurk and post for a long time! I am officially addicted.  But I was wondering if admin was against having a "General Discussion" type board, or chat room (I hadn't thought of that actually) since this was a site primarily about crafting. I didn't know if people went elsewhere to socialize about everyday stuff.  But seeing as how there was at one point a chat room, I'm now wondering what happened to it?  Did it not work out? Since I have only posted a few times and am so new to crafting I thought it'd be nice to be able to just get to know people. So any insight on why there isn't a general discussion board, or why the craftster chat isn't around anymore would be greatly appreciated.  Regardless of if it happens, I loooove this website and have already blown a decent amount of cash on crafting supplies, so I'm sure I'll be around for quite some time.  Thanks in advance to anyone who can shed some light!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
RonnieCat
Weird and Proud of it!

Pleased to meet you, I'm Shiyiya. *curtsies*

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 24, 2008 06:49:20 AM »

I'm wondering myself, there's a link to what I assume was a thread about flashchat that no longer exists.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster chat! Firefox users with Chatzilla installed, go to irc://irc.aniverse.com/craftster http://tinyurl.com/5vv88b has instructions for anyone else, and http://tinyurl.com/62ynka has a link for a browser-based chat Smiley
Kanhoro

Xander of Wolven-Knit~

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: August 24, 2008 09:59:20 AM »

Could we do a 'real time' tutorial?  I don't have a digital camera yet, so I would only be able to offer 'words'. My forte is brainstorming and coming up with ideas off the cuff (!).
I have recently been getting to know my serger and experimenting with it, so would love to have a 'chat' about what can be done with a serger.  We could even have 5 minute 'breaks' where we go off and try something.

I would find something like this exciting am I alone?

real time tutorial reminds me of the etsy tutorials i usually go to when i have the time.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Hellga
Shiny and Cool!

^ Dumbo Octopus ^

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: August 28, 2008 09:16:09 AM »

Okay, folks, I took the plunge and set up a craftster IRC channel.

It's on irc.aniverse.com and the channel name is #craftster

If you need help figuring out how to use irc, message me or try this page and some of the links surrounding it.

I look forward to seeing some craftsters in there!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out the unofficial craftster chat! Click Here! Alternatively, using IRC, join server irc.aniverse.com and then join the #craftster channel!
Personal Swaps: I am looking for wool yarn for crocheting and felting. Want to swap?
sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 28, 2008 09:54:57 AM »

Weird that you resurrected this thread yesterday. I just came here now looking to see if this had been discussed before.  I'm a big time lurker, but I'm really new to Craftster and crafting in general.  So I don't know about the history here yet. I'm trying to learn about all the rules and stuff and hoping to lurk and post for a long time! I am officially addicted.  But I was wondering if admin was against having a "General Discussion" type board, or chat room (I hadn't thought of that actually) since this was a site primarily about crafting. I didn't know if people went elsewhere to socialize about everyday stuff.  But seeing as how there was at one point a chat room, I'm now wondering what happened to it?  Did it not work out? Since I have only posted a few times and am so new to crafting I thought it'd be nice to be able to just get to know people. So any insight on why there isn't a general discussion board, or why the craftster chat isn't around anymore would be greatly appreciated.  Regardless of if it happens, I loooove this website and have already blown a decent amount of cash on crafting supplies, so I'm sure I'll be around for quite some time.  Thanks in advance to anyone who can shed some light!  Smiley

I don't recall the exact reason we removed the chat box.  I think it was something with the coding and/or lag time we were getting due to server use back then.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

When life gives you lemons, make cocktails! Grin
sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 28, 2008 09:55:39 AM »

Okay, folks, I took the plunge and set up a craftster IRC channel.

It's on irc.aniverse.com and the channel name is #craftster

If you need help figuring out how to use irc, message me or try this page and some of the links surrounding it.

I look forward to seeing some craftsters in there!

Very cool!  I'll try to check it out today! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

When life gives you lemons, make cocktails! Grin
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Draw Tweety Bird
How to Draw Winnie the Pooh
Learn Classical Composition Through DVD Course
Linear Grayscale Painting
Plein-Air Landscape Painting Workshops
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Bird Feeder
Tute Tuesday: Rustic Fabric Pumpkins
I See London; I See France!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...